Topic: convert guitar from metal to blues

I have an Ibanez ART 500  I have had it for some time and am very happy with it.  I tend to move around a bit with my preference to styles and have trended more towards blues than heavy rock or metal over the last couple of years.  The ART 500 has active pickups and really blasts out the sound and sounds a bit thin, or tinny on the first 3 strings (fine for screaming out metal but not the sound I am looking for with blues).  Any ideas on how to get a more mellow and bluesy sound from it?

Life is tough.....if you don't weaken

Re: convert guitar from metal to blues

Try thicker strings and a set up?

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thanks geoaguiar, am happy with EXL 110 strings and have been considering set up, will make this my first move.

I always liked Flat wound Mediums (13-56's) for that strong but mellow tone... Not too much of an electric player though... So Others may know better smile  Welcome to the forums! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I have single coiled and humbuckered guitars. There are differences in how they sound. Looks like the ART 500 has 2 humbucking (active) pick ups similar to a Les Paul. You can play the Blues on a LP.....that much is for sure! Thicker strings should do the trick. If not have a look at what you're playing that ART 500 through...that could be your issue.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I'm not familar with that guitar but after reading some specs and seeing some You tube with it...I would suspect that you might try a different amp. Also if your pickups are awful hot, might try turning the volume to about half on the guitar and up on a clean channel on the amp. I have a Wolfgang that can get some Les Paul type sweet tones but can also scream just by changing the volume levels...hope this helps...jg

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

If you're up for a really sweet blues tone and are willing to swap out the neck pickup of your guitar, Try a Charlie Christian pickup in the neck.

It doesn't get sweeter than that.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

My old Gibson sounds good if I run the volume at 85% to play rhythm and 100% to play a lead ride.
I run the amp just loud enough to give me the most frequencies possible without hurting anybody's ears.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Thanks for all of your answers, there is some good stuff there, I have tried a few of them and things are sounding better already.

Thanks guys