Topic: Songs in Open D Tuning - Acoustic Versions.

Hi can anyone help with sites for songs in Open D Tuning for a beginner please?

2 (edited by deadstring 2010-06-11 13:20:14)

Re: Songs in Open D Tuning - Acoustic Versions.

Sittin on the dock of the bay and Midnight Special are two that I like to do in open tuning.

On edit! I didn't see the request for sites but these songs are fun.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

50 Ft' Queenie by P.J. Harvey.   Best punk song you can do on an acoustic guitar.  It's all power chords, too, and in drop D, that's ridiculously easy.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

You guys are talking about just lowering the 6th(E) string down to D correct? I think maybe

I was confused with the slide tuning DADF#AD ? I'm sure there is a thread on this subject?

Am I still confused? So many questions-so little time.lol       Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Jonie Mitchelle does a bunch. But she ripped off Chuck Mingus, when he was old and sick, so I have really been suspect of anything she says or does!!

Art is from the artest to everyone!

In open D Tuning.  "She talks to Angels" by The Black Crows, "Graduate" by Third Eye Blind, and you may want to look at some Richie Havens. He did a lot in open D...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:

In open D Tuning.  "She talks to Angels" by The Black Crows,

This song is actually in open E, traditionally, open D works, standard 440A works as well, but Chris Robinson originally composed this song like this;

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/ST-320-S … Angels.php

Give everything but up.

Am i right in assuming open d is different to drop d, drop d is good becsuse you can play power chords in the open possition? Whats the reason for open d, just to drop it down 2 half steps?

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

SouthPaw41L wrote:

This song is actually in open E, traditionally, open D works, standard 440A works as well, but Chris Robinson originally composed this song like this;

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/ST-320-S … Angels.php

Rich Robinson plays in open D tuning to get a loose feel for the strings, but you're right, most transcriptions published are in open E. The song was originally done in Open d but capo'd on 2nd so yea, you can do it either way... I think the timbre of the tone matches best as done originally though.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

10 (edited by wlbaye 2010-06-12 13:48:16)

Another open E song that is fun that I have been playing recently  4 & 20  by Stephen Stills. Not to hard to play but sounds so cool smile  to my ears anyway !

E E E E B E     To tune to this the E and B Strings remain the same. Tune the A string and G String down to E and the D String is the only one that is tuned up a step. So just three strings to change and a really cool sound for a change.

Later, Wayne P

if you can use a slide try IN MY TIME OF DYING by Led Zeppellin.... open D tuning...

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it...Aristotle.

Open D or drop D is it the same? Either way an easy one is Tangled Up In You by Staind.

Drop D is when the 6th string is droped down to a D. Open D is where the guitar is tuned to an open D major chord. So strumming all the strings in the open position gives you a D major chord - D A D F# A D

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Thanks to all you guy's for the replies.

Go to you tub and put in open D tuning there are a bunch of lessons, the Rolling Stones do a lot of tunes in open D

Sorry this is a reply to an old post but I've just started going through the threads on this forum.

I've only just started with open D. I would add, as songs that sound good in open D

Water is Wide
Everybody's talkin (Nillson)
Something in the Air

and of course some of Joni's, I particularly like Circle Game in open D

Ah HA!  That's why I've never been able to get Everybody's Talkin' to sound right.  I've been meaning to try some open tunings on one of my guitars.  Given that I think Everybody's Talkin' has just about the best line in an acoustic song I've every heard "I'm going where the weather suits my clothes", I'm going to check it out.  Thanks a million johnwb.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Ah HA!  That's why I've never been able to get Everybody's Talkin' to sound right.  I've been meaning to try some open tunings on one of my guitars.  Given that I think Everybody's Talkin' has just about the best line in an acoustic song I've every heard "I'm going where the weather suits my clothes", I'm going to check it out.  Thanks a million johnwb.

- Zurf

Glad to be of a bit of help.

If you're playing this in standard tuning in D, then the first section just goes thru

D, Dmaj7, D6, Dmaj7 and back to D.

If you're in open D tuning, then the first section uses Open D, then simply fret the 2nd fret of the 5th string (which is now of course tuned to A), then the 4th fret, back to the 2nd fret then back to open D.

Its interesting to hear the difference between the 2 tunings. In standard tuning the change goes down then back up; in Open D it goes up and back down.

Hope this makes sense.

PS  in Open D, the same opening section can be used for Buddy Holly's 'It doesn't matter any more'(different rhthym of course).

I can suggest you this reference book for open d tuning with all you may need to start to play:

Open D (D A D F# A D) - Chord and Scale Booklet (http://www.lulu.com/product/file-downlo … t/14595248)

johnm4422 wrote:

Hi can anyone help with sites for songs in Open D Tuning for a beginner please?