Topic: How do I choose the right electric-acoustic guitar?

I'm going to buy an electric-acoustic guitar in the coming weeks, but I really don't know how to judge them. I feel I've made good choices with my other guitars (acoustic and electric), but I haven't had much experience with the hybrid. Do I hold them to the same standards of feel and sound as an acoustic? Should an electric-acoustic sound just as good unplugged as an acoustic does? Should I go for a straight pickup system, or a mic-and-pickup?

[url=http://www.wellnessstarts.com/pro-cleanse-gold-where-to-buy.html]Pro Cleanse Gold[/url]

Re: How do I choose the right electric-acoustic guitar?

Yes. Each of those could be appropriate means depending on how you're going to use it. 

To me, the most important thing is feel and sound.  If you're going to play it plugged in the most, or if you're going to be playing for audiences most, then the sound when plugged in should be very important to you.  If you're going to plug it in sometimes when the mood strikes you, then the sound unplugged should be at least as important if not moreso.  Of utmost importance should be the feel of the guitar.  Can YOU play it comfortably in YOUR style?  If the answer is no, find another.  There's no one right or wrong way to pick a guitar. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Try as many as you can in your price range .

I'll Second all of the above!

In my mind the guitar is foremost an ACOUSTIC Instrument, and should be held to the same high standards that you give to your other acoustics in the arsenal.  An A/E that sounds bad un-plugged but sounds good amped is a waste of money.... that's why the Guitar God made electric guitars in the first place.  Not that you shouldn't give due consideration to the plugged in feature as well, because the main reason for going that route (IMO) is so you can get more out of it in the venues that require more Oomph.

Henry is correct about playing as many as you can in your range, and I would add in as many different shops as are available.  Sometimes you will pass on a nice guitar because the shop you played it in had held it on the wall so long that the strings are dead, or it might be poorly set-up, or the place might have such tight quarters and people around that you can't get a good listen to what it is producing due to background noise or cluttered acoustics.

Don't be in too much of a rush and you will stumble on the "right" guitar for you at a price you'll be happy with.  Shop around and remember you will (hopefully) be friends for a long time.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

hey walkhrs, i've been playn for over 20yrs and i can only offer you my 'personal choice' for an all rounder, and that is an Ovation guitar,
however I myself play a Washburn acoustic plug in and a Fender electric Strat, cos over here in NZ, Ovations = $1000, or more,
dang !! I sure do want one tho'.... but as is said "try before you buy". Good luck.

practice makes better, perfect practice makes perfect.

Doug_Smith wrote:

I'll Second all of the above!

In my mind the guitar is foremost an ACOUSTIC Instrument, and should be held to the same high standards that you give to your other acoustics in the arsenal.  An A/E that sounds bad un-plugged but sounds good amped is a waste of money.... that's why the Guitar God made electric guitars in the first place.  Not that you shouldn't give due consideration to the plugged in feature as well, because the main reason for going that route (IMO) is so you can get more out of it in the venues that require more Oomph.

Henry is correct about playing as many as you can in your range, and I would add in as many different shops as are available.  Sometimes you will pass on a nice guitar because the shop you played it in had held it on the wall so long that the strings are dead, or it might be poorly set-up, or the place might have such tight quarters and people around that you can't get a good listen to what it is producing due to background noise or cluttered acoustics.

Don't be in too much of a rush and you will stumble on the "right" guitar for you at a price you'll be happy with.  Shop around and remember you will (hopefully) be friends for a long time.

Take Care;
Doug

Very true advice.  When you try out some (unplugged), notice that some are dark or more bassy and some are bright with more treble notes. The bass emphasis will come from rosewood or large body guitars and the trebles will be more prominent with mahogany and maples, as well as from guitar shapes that are skinny or thin.  Hope noticing this will let you narrow your choices to what your ears like.  Definitely buy one that sounds good unplugged.  And let us know how you do.

Steve

High saddle + low action = good sound. Plus your talent. Top wood, sides and back, nut and saddle material, strings, and overall construction =good sound.
Don't start filing and adjusting unless you know what you are you doing! It is a process and it takes time to set up a guitar, one goof and you have trouble!

hi walkhrs welcome to chordie,i brought a vintage electro-acoustic,lovely guitar,i play it mostly as an accoustic,sounds great,when i plug in to the amp i get an echo cause you get the electric sound as well as the acoustic,which i'm trying to get used to as it does'nt always match the sound i want,so i'd say try for both options to get the best sound,mine cost 320 pounds....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

9 (edited by 12hournights 2010-08-23 05:50:50)

Hi Walkhrs, I have to say this is a great site. Price is a major factor in buying a good guitar new or used mostly. there are alot of variables  brand vs materials ( type of wood)  and for the electric side of the acoustic-electric what pick up your using, amp, effects, so on... keep in mind u can have a pickup installed.  I use a rubber plug in the hole when i plug in my acoustic-electric  it's about 10 bucks and helps with feedback.
whatever guitar you buy  just make sure it has good action and feels good  with your play style
goodluck and keep playing  ..first post hope it helps  I love my A&L but I'm alway shopping for the better axe

Just wanted to jump in with a quick - Welcome to Chordie 12hournights! -

Walkhrs - I hope that you come back and tell us what you ended up with, and remember, pictures are most welcome with a new guitar!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.