Topic: Playing a song...the whole way through

As a newbie guitar player/learner I am always looking up chords to all different types of songs that I like. I have a 3 ring binder overflowing with printouts from Chordie and other sites. The problem is that I just learn a part of the song move on to another song.  I do not work on getting just one (or even three) songs 100% accurate before moving on. Is anyone else like this? Any advice or stories of your own to share? Thanks!

Re: Playing a song...the whole way through

I do the same thing.  I find myself going through my song list and playing part of the song, then moving on to the next one.  I try to play different songs each time I sit down, though.  It's pretty common.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

3 (edited by Zurf 2010-05-20 17:52:40)

Nope.  I work on whole songs and then promptly forget that I know them.  Obviously, some parts are harder work than others.  I don't think I've ever tried to get anything 100% accurate, though.  I'm not interested in tribute style covers for myself.  Someone's already done the song that way, I usually wind up doing songs similarly but not the same.   Sometimes not even similarly.  Or some part the same and another part different. 

Similar but not the same: I do Kenny Chesney's "Don't Blink", The Dixie Chick's "Cold Day in July", and Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide", and Johnny Cash's "I Still Miss Someone" that way.  Not note for note, but sort of kind of similar and I spent some time getting the signature riffs something that approximates the original rendition.  On I Still Miss Someone, I do the vocals as close to Johnny's as I can, but spiff up the guitar part a bit above the standard JC boom-chicka-boom. 

Not even similarly: I do Elton John's "Crocodile Rock", Tom T. Hall's "I Like Beer", and Jimmy Buffett's "Volcano" that way.  Crocodile Rock I do as a bluegrass fingerpick, I Like Beer I do with pretty straightforward strumming instead of the slide work he used, and I do Volcano with a Bo Diddley beat instead of a Calypso beat and will sometimes slip that into "What I Like About You" by the Romantics but with a Bo Diddley beat, and then on into "Caroline" when I can remember the lyrics.  It's a 3:1 sale. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

When my son and I play our guitars together we run through random songs, one verse, then move on to the next song. We call our band the "One Verse Wonders".

I have a friend who has been playing for a few years maybe. He can't play a song all the way thru. He knows bits and pieces to lots of songs but nothing complete. He doesn't even know how to up stroke. Anyway, I make sure that I learn a song all the way thru before I move on to the next. Actually, I work on 2 or 3 songs at once, but I learn those before moving on. I feel that when someone asks you if you play guitar and you say yes, then you better have an actual repertorie of songs to pull from. I know Zurf, playing songs is not playing guitar. I'm using playing in a general sense. So when I open my 3-ring binder I can play everything in it. As I get better, I often go back and add stuff that I couldn't play before to the songs I know.

I think it's better to learn songs all the way thru. If not to make you a better player then just to say yes I can play that.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi nevets17
I’m an oldbie amateur who likes to please himself I rarely take the time to learn a song all the way through. I have in the past but now this holds no interest to me.
I guess the only songs I complete now are my own.
Covers are fine if they float your boat but in my opinion musically they are a road to nowhere.
Just my views.
ark

I am an oldie pro who played cover tunes in bars for too many years. I have unknowingly changed from one song to another with a similar chord progression when my mind wandered. It is no problem when playing alone but if that happens to you when playing with a band, you get some folks really mad at you.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

For practice I burn a CD with 12 to 18 songs that I am learning, wanna play or can play. I clip a printout of the lyric's (w/ chords) to the CD case and file away. When I'm ready to play (practice) I take the CD with the sheet music - CD goes into the walkman, sheet music goes on my music stand - headphones go over the ears - and I'm ready to play one song after another (all I have to do is turn the pages. This gives me at least an hour's playing time - or more - per CD.

Nela

I use to be like that , but I forced myself to learn something all the way through. It helps me to sing it or it just sounds like I'm playing a bunch of chords.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Hi,
I'm new here smile
Guilty of the same.  I think you need to actually sing and play the song too otherwise you lose where you are supposed to be at in the song. At the moment I can't sing n play...yet.

I'll put my hand up to this aswell but it is something I've pondered over not just found myself doing.

I've been learning about 16 months, I have about 250 sings written out which I can play ok whilst reading from my book.  I love all genres so I have music from Elvis to the Beatles, Byonce to Motorhead, Moody Blues to Metallica.  The way I figure it is that I'd get bored just slaving to 3 or 4 songs for a few weeks.  I like to come home from work, crack open a beer and play whatever I'm in the mood for, it's certainly kept me fresh and I can honestly say that there have only been about 12 days in 16 months where I not picked my guitar up and I still average 2 hours a day.

Having said that I'm at the stage where I feel I'm ready to entertain friends at a BBQ and I did start identifying songs that would go down well and I can play/sing ok but the problem is every day they change?

I guess I'll just continue to play out of my books

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Make a point of learning 1 song all the way through. Learn all the words and get it to stick in your head by playing it all the time. I was the same as you but forced myself to learn 1 song by heart - that way you don't get so embarrassed when someone hands you a guitar at a party or campfire and you can't do anything with it after telling everyone you play. I now start and end all my practices with that song, just to make sure it sticks.

P.S. I've now added a couple more to that list. It really helps with you're confidence too.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

13 (edited by tubatooter1940 2010-05-21 23:30:56)

I played a single song guy act for 10 years. I used to use my fat book for lyrics to songs I played less often. It helps with requests too because i have 400+ songs in that book.
My best buddy John Reno hired me to play single gigs when he was double booked. John is a really polished musician, song writer and never takes music onstage. He ordered me to play only songs I had completely memorized because playing to a crowd while staring into a book is highly unprofessional. It was tough at first because I only had 40 or so songs down that well.
I jotted lyrics to two songs at a time on 3by5 cards and took them with me on my daily heart-healthy walks. I would drill lyrics to one song until I tired of it and then switch to the second. By the time I did three miles I would have both sets of lyrics pretty well down.
John told me that drilling a song so many times that you are sick of it and never want to hear it again is when you finally have it down well enough so that you can not play the thing for a month or so and then do it perfectly.
Usually if you get the first few words of each verse, you can remember the rest of it.
I am sick and tired of many of my songs I have played and sang for many years but I am aware that tonight's audience has never heard me do it before.
I like to start an evening with some simple tried and true material I know well so I can divide my attention and listen to how my sound system is doing and observe the crowd to tell what they appear to enjoy most.
I will try some unfarmiliar tunes by request or because I think it may be fun but I warn the audience in advance that I may splatter this one off the wall.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Its fun to learn parts of songs, just to hear it and know you can play it.  But like others have said ,, If people know you play guitar , they sometimes say "play us one".  Then all the cool , but unrelated licks , just bore them quick.
I try twork on 2-3 at a time ,, so they dont get boring.   Ive played with some guys who could play good ,, but when I asked , what can we play together that you know all the way thru,, they didnt know one " al the way through"  . To me I think its better to have a bit simplified version ,, all the way ,,, than a fancy version , that you cant get thru.
People who dont play guitar are impressed usually just by chord strumming , w/o fills if you sing along with it.
Just my thoughts

New to forum ,, looks like a fun place
Steve

Welcome to the forum Steve!  Everybody here is pretty nice and friendly!

I agree... it's fun to fiddle with different songs, but when you get around other people (guitar players or not), they want to hear a whole song.  There's nothing worse then going to the campfire and someone bringing out a guitar to tool around on and every time they start playing and everyone starts getting into it - they stop.  I LOVE my Dad, but he's "known" for doing that.  It's frustrating.  At least try to learn one or two so you're prepared for it when someone else is around!  smile  Unless you enjoy being a "closet guitarist"  big_smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I like many others can relate to playing a lot of songs and not much of anything all the way through . It is something I have recently started to address. Having spent around two years playing lots of short versions of lots of things I think that it has helped my chord arsenal. However,I strongly agree with most as a guitar player it's nice to pick a guitar up and play a song from start to Finish for friends to sing along.
It is something which just this week I have started to do. My problem now is which songs to play. In summary though always remember you play for pleasure so long as you enjoy what your doing it's got to be ok.

Hi, I can remember lyrics to some songs, and chords to others, but can't put the two together,
so I have to stop if I forget lyrics or chords.
Trying to stick to three songs I know pretty well!

Guilty as Charged Your Honor.....

There are waaay too many songs in the book to have them all totally down pat, and it is easy to forget little things and details without getting back to them fairly often.  I'm a finger-picker and need to constantly refresh myself on the frills and little licks that ensure consistency from one set to another.  So I usually manage to get through the whole book weekly, although usually the verse, bridge and chorus just to make sure that the progression and signature is correct.  Doing everything fully would take many more hours than I can afford to spend, it's usually enough to know the essentials and once you get into the music the rest will flow naturally all the way through.

It is important though to learn every song you add to your book all the way (even the "tricky" parts) or put them near the front where you give them more "hits" than the ones you know really well.  it's that Practice thing again!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hi all, very new to this music game and I too have a couple of note books of songs i play. My problem is playing without the music before me on a stand. I do not like admitting this but, I can't always here the next chord change coming, if i hit a wrong chord i know immediately but i just don't know at all times when to change chords. Does anyone else have or had this problem? Thanks in advance.  b

bobwill, this will come with experience. I have a couple of friends who are professional musicians and they will admit (sometimes) that they make the same mistake. It just takes concertration, ability, being familar with the music (song) and keeping a straight face when blaming others for causing the mistake to happen.

Nelas

Bobwill - Yes.  I have and expect that I will continue to have this problem.  There is no shame in using 'a chart' when you play.  If there were, every orchestra musician out there would have cause to be ashamed. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

Bobwill - Yes.  I have and expect that I will continue to have this problem.  There is no shame in using 'a chart' when you play.  If there were, every orchestra musician out there would have cause to be ashamed. 

- Zurf

Thanks Zurf, I had not thought of it that way. Lots of good People,  information and thoughts from these Forums, I'm Glad I'm a member. I have a few songs i can play and sing without 'a chart' or book.

This thread actually made me so ashamed that it forced me to learn a few songs off memory (see my post above).  So I learned Rockin in the Free World by Neil Young, Down Under by Men at Work and Zombie by the Cranberries.  I can also play a few more nearly all the way through but not quite. 

My opinion on this subject it is that your song books/sheets or whatever you use make you lazy.  Take any song, when you see it on paper it’s full of verses, choruses, bridges, intros, outros etc and on top of that there are the lyrics with chord changes thrown in as well!  But when you actually “look† at the song there are the same chord sequences all the way through perhaps with a different order for the chorus and an odd chord in the bridge.  Pretty easy when you break it down into parts. 

The best thing I did was start playing songs without my books and even when you go wrong don’t be tempted to refer to your book to check that chord you can’t remember, try and suss it out yourself, you’ll find the chords stick in your memory far better that way.

So don’t be lazy and learn a tune!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

use to not now tho' if i need to learn a song no sweat if you've learnt the key structures i just listen to the tune once or twice,
playn at the same time' but if i need to learn the lyrics thats different cos ya gotta remember the words.

practice makes better, perfect practice makes perfect.

hereNthere wrote:

use to not now tho' if i need to learn a song no sweat if you've learnt the key structures i just listen to the tune once or twice,
playn at the same time' but if i need to learn the lyrics thats different cos ya gotta remember the words.

practice makes better, perfect practice makes perfect.

Curious, for me the lyrics are often simpler.  Your point on another thread about practicing scales and arpeggios works here too.  If you understand which chords go with which keys, it's much easier to figure out the songs.  And a good barre chord in F shape or B shape (heaven forfend!) is useful to figuring out a key when playing along.  Right on.  Keep pushing practice.  It's the only way to improve. 

- Zurf