Topic: Fender strat

Hi all, I recently bought a Fender strat (yipee and posted it here) Question there is a vol. knob and two tone knobs. There is also a 4 position toggle switch. What pick-ups do the tone knobs control (there are 3 pick-ups) and what pick-us do the toggle switch control?

Time, time, time; See what's become of me.

Re: Fender strat

I don't know much about electrics... but as I understand it, the toggle switch switches between the active pickups.  A four selector switch doesn't make sense to me though... seems that it should be 3 or 5 depending on the number of pickups you have on the guitar.  Again - I don't have much experience or knowledge here, so I could be totally wrong.  The tone knobs just control the entire tone of what ever pick up(s) are active.

Position 1 - The switch in the most downward position activates the bridge pickup only
Position 2 - The next position activates a combination of the bridge and middle pickups
Position 3 - This middle position activates only the middle pickup by itself
Position 4 - This position activates a combination of the neck and middle pickups
Position 5 - This position activates the neck pickup only

OR

Position 1 - Activates only the neck pickup
Position 2 - Activates only the bridge pickup
Position 3 - This middle switch position activates a combination of the two pickups

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Yeah,  I've never understood the two tone knobs on a strat and I own two of them.  I always keep them on 10. As for the switching, mekids is correct about the "5" way switch.  Some people count from the bridge. Some people count from the neck but the function is the same regardless.  Variations of the strat are coming out. As seen with the switching systems on the new Telecasters, I would expect the Strats to be coming out with the new "series/ parallel" switching systems any time now.  At any rate, its all about the sound that you like.  You will find a combination you like.

Now available in 5G !

Thanks guys, I just wish it sounded like a very loud acoustic and  could play and sing like Dwight Yoakam, LOL

Butch, that is the reason why I don't like electrics so much.  Every time I pick up my husband's, I inevitably mess with everything until it ends up sounding as much acoustic as I can get it (without realizing that's what I'm doing)... then I set it down, say I'm sorry for messing with all his settings and pick up my acoustic instead.  LOL!  Try position 4 or 5... turn the volume on the guitar down, and the tone down... then on the amp you can control the volume and you'll want to keep the midrange dialed down compared to the bass and treble.  As for playing and singing like Dwight Yoakam... a six pack should help your perceptions!  LOL!

mom an unpluged electric sounds "kindof" acoustic but with more twang, as you like to call it

"A bad note is only a fret or two away from a good note."  Anonymous

LOL son do you talk to your mom? Mine live 5 doors away and I never hear from him!

ha ha ha... we talk constantly (he lives with me and is 14) yet somehow we seem to forget to talk about some things some times - so I think IF it happens to strike while on Chordie, why not make it Public?  wink lol

practice....learn which knob does what before gigging. take a couple of hours, days who cares.

a guitars for life not just for christmas!

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

A fun exercise is to set the guitar on one pickup with the volume turned all the way up and the tone off...then experiment with your amp settings...do this for several days or even a few weeks.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Thanks all experiment, experiment