Topic: Cracks in the body

Today I found a vintage cromwell archtop at a flea market, it was very beaten up, but most of the damage was cosmetic and it seamed playable.  It's only real flaw, and the reason I didn't buy it was a 6 inch split in the back of the guitar.
Does anyone know if these kinds of cracks be fixed?

Re: Cracks in the body

Dude I'm short on time and will chime in more in an hr or two but The crack can be fixed and if it was reasonable go get it now smile Cromwell's were made by gibson as a house brand from 1935 to late 38-early39. Gibson was using solid woods then and the top was spruce and the back was usually birch but some had maple backs as well... You'll notice the logo looks similar to gibsons(on the higher end models, The lower end had just cromwell across the headstock.... They go for a pretty good penny.   Sorry I'm cutting it short but I'll chime in again soon.... Busy at the moment.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

OK back with a little more info for ya.... 

"In 1935, Gibson started making another in-house budget brand called Cromwell. Unlike the Kalamazoo brand, Gibson hid the fact that they were “Gibson�  made, opting for phrases like “Guitars By Master Craftsmen� . The two largest distributors of the Cromwell line were Continental Music in Chicago, IL and Grossman’s Music in Cleveland, OH. Both were also big Gibson distributors and Gibson wanted to maintain the “Gibson�  name as the best brand (and most expensive), while offering the Cromwell line as a separate brand name. Kind of like Michelin making all Sears-brand tires. Cromwell was basically GIBSON'S house brand. The idea was to have a line of guitars that could be sold by jobbers (large musical instrument distributor that carried many brands) to music stores who weren't franchised Gibson dealers and couldn't get Gibsons and Kalamazoos. The majority of Cromwells were sold by Continental Music (owned by C.G. Conn, the band instrument manufacturer), with others such as J.W Jenkins (a large mid-west Gibson dealer in Kansas City), as well as Coast Wholesale, and Gretsch & Brenner (not to be confused with Gretsch Guitars).
The G-2 flat-top is quite rare and few exist making them more valuable. The arch-tops G-4 and G-6 were the most popular, and many examples still exist, and not as valuable. In 1936, the Model G-8 was introduced as the top of the line, but the much higher price hurt sales, and was discontinued soon after., and makes it one of the most valuable and collectable Cromwells. The difference between the models was based on the Model number (low to high). The G-4 was the least expensive; the G-6 had an inlaid logo and fancier black & white checkered purfling (similar to the Kalamazoo KG-32). All had Gibson tailpieces, but usually Grover-made pickguard brackets and the most recognizable feature all the Cromwells, besides the large stenciled logo on the peg head, was a white stripe running down the center of the fingerboard. Most experts agree that Gibson probably made the Cromwell brand starting in early 1935, but stopped sometime in late 1938, or possibly early 1939."

You can find more, including photos, at the website:

http://www.fox-guitars.com/Gibson-Made_Brands.html

The only correction I'd add to the above is about the white stripe running down the fretboard... While it's very common on Cromwell's, it's not on all of them. I've seen several examples with dots and a few with block inlays...

As for value.... It's hard to say cause of condition and not knowing the exact model but I'd "GUESS" 6-7 hundred for the lower end models and more as you move up their line. There's a lower end model on Atlanta's craigs list now for $950...

Now for the repair.... It's hard to say for sure without pics but most splits can be repaired quite easily.. Humidity will often close the crack and glue can be injected and it cleaked from the inside to stabilize it. Being on the back minimizes the harm on resale, as a back crack has almost no detrimental affect on tone....

Funny thing for you to post this... I was just reading up and researching the brand a few weeks ago smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

WOW pix I learne a lot

Thanks Guitarpix for the info, I was kicking myself all day for not just buying it.  He was only asking $70 for it, and it had what looked like a custom made wooden case with it.  I did go back, but the guy had already packed up his stand and left. 
I'll take it as a learning experiance, and be on the look out for more hidden gems like that.

Howdy Mixter,

I remember California Flea Markets!  Used to find some good deals down in the LA area a few years back.  You might look up ads for the next weekend and see if there's another going on in your area.... sometimes not selling at one brings the dealers back to others in the vicinity the following weekend.  Just a thought.  I used to bump into the same group regularly all over the South Bay area.  Of course there is never any guarantee that they ACTUALLY owned half the stuff they were peddling..... seems to me lots of car parts!  Car stereos, racing transmissions, wheels and tires, tools, and the kinds of things one could acquire late at night with nothing more than a bolt cutter and a little imagination.  LOL.

Take Care, and Good Luck!
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hey Doug, there are a couple of different Flea markets in the area that I've been hitting when I have the time,  so I might see him again, but I won't sweat it if I don't, or if that guitar is gone.  I know what you mean about the vendors though, most seem legit, but yea I'm sure lots of that stuff just "fell of the back of the truck".