Topic: I've Got The Itch

OK,  lately I have gotten myself worked into a frenzy about another guitar.  Don't we all.  Let me explain.  I am the kind of person who figures if I see a noticeable difference in my playing, I am maybe ready for a step up in guitars.  I've got my old Fender acoustic, which is an OK guitar, then as I noticed a marked improvement in my playing, I got the bug for a Martin.  I ended up getting the Martin Custom D, which is at the lower to lower mid section of the Martins.  I simply love the sound and am quite happy with it.  Lately I have been talking myself into another step up and now I've got a terrible itch.  I know this is normal, but I am trying to justify that my playing has become good enough to purchase a Gibson.  I know it hasn't, but the frenzy has taken over.  It is a lost cause.  I'm whipped.  Not that I can afford it, but I am looking at the Gibson J45.  When I get something in my mind, I start saving up slowly until I am ready to gor for it.  Does anyone here sympathize with me?  And if anyone here owns one or has played one, can you tell me about it?  I am sure it is a good guitar and above my playing ability, but what the Hey.  Unless I get some real negative comments about how crazy I am, I will probably end up getting it in the future.  Maybe not for 6 months to a year, get it I will.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Re: I've Got The Itch

Go for it, Pete. I'll support you on the new purchase just as long as you don't ask to borrow any $$$$$$.

nela

LOL I know. I got rid of a keyboard to have room for another guitar and I'm happy happy w/ the Tele. Now I got 2 guitars and 2 keyboards. Maybe some day I'll be down to 1 keyboard

I know I will get lots of support nela.  Thanks for the positive burst.  Maybe I am trying to get someone to talk me down.  I don't know.  What I know is, I want it.  What I don't know is am I looking in the right direction?  Maybe there is something out there that is good enough for me, but not as expensive that I will like equally well.  Opinions are welcome.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

LOL ben we schould all turn into guitars and by some cadillacs!! And play some hillbilly music!!!

One of my favorite genres is old country music, Butch.

LOKL Down, down, dow, do, d .. see I tried

OK Pete,

Here's an idea, don't get the Gibson..... yet.  Get the Epiphone EJ45.  Kinda like wanting an Acura, and buying an Accord just because you want the quality, but not the expense.  Then in awhile you can easily slide into the higher version without feeling guilty about it.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Isn't the saying, "buy the best guitar that you can afford because you are going to have it for a long time"?  I don't know Pete, this comes down to finances and personal opinion.  I know I can't afford a really expensive guitar right now, and I know that when I was shopping my price range last time was up to $300... I didn't like the guitars that were available close to the $300 range, and ended up with one under $200 because I liked it.  NOW, if my price range had been $500 or $1000 or more... I'm sure I would have gotten a much better guitar than what I picked even if I wasn't completely "ready" for it.  Soooooo.... hmmmm.... I'm not much help.  LOL!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Pete, all my guitars are above my playing ability. I know exactly what you mean about the itch, and trust me it doesn't go away not matter what guitar you buy. My last guitar purchase was so expensive my wife said she was ok with it as long as it was my last guitar purchase EVER! I had to have this guitar Pete, I was losing sleep over it. I fanaly bought it, it was the guitar of my dreams, and I thought I would never own a guitar this nice in my whole life. Not two months after I bought it, I started looking at other guitars. I still love my new guitar very much, but I have "THE ITCH". I don't dare tell my wife. I am a closet guitar-ahaulic.

Well, Doug, I'll check into the Epiphone and see if I like it.
mekidsmom, I can't really justify that much money, but I can save it up and reach that much in time.  It might be a year away, but, it will just give me something to look forward to. 
jcellini, I bought my Martin without telling my wife and she didn't know until the day it came UPS.  She was a little mad at my spending that much, but she got over it in time.  I have a plan if I buy the Gibson.  The reason I am looking at the sunburst style is that I have a Fender sunburst sitting out in my bedroom.  Now if I can just get the new one in and replace the old Fender without her knowing it, I don't think she will notice.  Now keep in mind that it is purely my money.  It does not come out of what we pay together or out of food and living wexpenses at all. 
It sounds like I am getting the go ahead from some of you.  Of course it will be my decision in the end and I will justify it in my own mind.  Gotta just save and slip it in the back door.

Sounds like a great plan Pete, Go for it!!!

I can't stop looking (and buying). I usually operate  in the sub $400 range but I have 4-5 guitars at any one time. I told my wife my inventory will continue to waver as I zero-in on what I truly like and want. So I started with a dread, added a jumbo, then a 00-body, and a 7/8 scale OM-ish body.

I decided the OM was THE right choice and I've been shopping for months.  Currently all of my guitars are listed on Craig's list in hopes of raising enough captital to buy my next "must have" (last?) guitar, a Larrivee OM. Unfortunatley now I'm all wrapped around the axel debating between the Larrivee OMs and the Ls. My budget is sub 1 kilo-dollar so it will likely be a 3 series with rosewood b/s.

My first guitar was a Seagull. I sold it but now regret this. However aesthtics (the pointy headstock) caused me to sell. Very likely a mistake.

I've obsessed over specific models for months only to wake up one day (as if distracted by a shiny object - like a crow) with a new must-have wood and steel piece of art wedged in my brain.

I still cannot play very well, even after 18 months of trying but I sure do enjoy trying. And the buying and selling? We'll that's a bonus! I am contemplating lessons partially giving up on the claim of being "self-taught". I've always envied people who tell me they are. We'll two can play that game.

naolslager, I get a certain guitar in my sites and I will research it, play it if I can and wake up in the middle of the night thinking about.  I, too, may end up changing my mind several times before I actually buy.  But, once the itch is there, I won't stop until I get one.  The reason for this thread is to get opinions from others on other guitars that I may be missing.  Go ahead, change my mind.

hey bensonp, love that j-45 thats someday i too will own, too pricey for my pockets, found a deal on a washburn that was surplus from a music store takeover, $150.00 canadian, low action, great sound, and my barre chords
havent sounded better.  keep saving my friend you'll get there.

badeye   cool

one caper after another

Hi Pete,
You support so many of us in our pursuits. I would like to support you in this one of yours. You have been around long enough to know what you need and can use.
Scratch that itch, friend. It is sometimes better to ask forgiveness instead of permission.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Now that's what I like to hear, toots.  That's my outlook on life exactly.  Thanks for the input.

Pete, if you're itching you gotta scratch. Now that you started scratchin' don't it feel good. Just don't scratch too long and make a sore spot. As far as trying to keep it a secret from your wife - that'll never happen. Them wimmen folk are plumb sneaky when it comes to who spent "how much" and "for what". Just go ahead and buy the dang thing - then tell her you found it on the side of the road.

Nela

Look what I found on the side of the road honey.  It's a shame people throw junk like this away.  I really felt like I needed to clean up the highway.  That's a good one Nela.  I guess I'll keep it since I don't want it littering the roadside again.

If you are patient, and are saving the money over the course of 6 months to a year... then you're being responsible and taking your time.  BUY IT!  Unless of course, something else comes along in the meantime that costs a little less that you have the money for right away... then buy that, and start saving all over again for the next itch!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Excellent advice, mekidsmom.  That I will do.  Thanks.  I usually take a long time in the buying process for something like this.

Howdy Pete,

I was on my way to buy a J-45 when I bought my HD-28. I don't have any regrets but I still am going to buy a Gibson. I have a masterbilt epi but it is not a Gibson. Yes it sounds nice and has a nice action and is a solid wood guitar but you only go around once , my advice is spoil yourself , you deserve it.

Later, Wayne P

You know,Wayne, I checked out the HD 28 also and saw a comparison play on youtube of the two.  I like them both alot, but there is something about the J45 that I liked a little better.  Either would be fine really.  Maybe I better save up for both.

Pete,

The 2 guitars are very different when you play them. At the time the HD-28 was the sound I was after. I am saving for a J-45 type guitar and it is kinda hard to find places to try them. My wife and I are gonna go out to Bozeman in the future and have a look around and play some gibbies.

I sure wasn't saying the HD-28 is a better guitar it took a 5 hrs of playing and decision making for me to make my decision. I am undecided about going for an old 50's model J-45 or a new one. I have a friend that has a 50's J-45 and it is one of the best sounding guitars I have ever heard. One strum and you know it is the J-45 with the beautiful voice. I would try and play one if possible I thought they varied some in tone.

Later, Wayne P

25 (edited by naolslager 2010-10-30 13:27:39)

Bensonp,
Update: my new shiny object (although it is definitely NOT shiny) is a Martin D-15M. Somehow I caught the New Guitar bug suddenly and with out warning. Why this model? Why plain mahogany, no frills, model? I've found I like the feel of wood so I prefer satin or semi-gloss finishes which allow this tactile interaction. Also I'm looking for a solid body, non-import so this meets the criteria. My stream-of-consciousness guitar shopping is scary sometimes but always fun. I learn something each time and I am finally beginning to understand what someone means when they say "you'll know it when you find it". I suppose I'm a better LISTENER (not necessarly a better player) and can now hear what the guitar is saying.

So much fun. Good luck
dj