1 (edited by bassboy 2007-05-18 18:15:35)

Topic: how the hell do i write a decient song AND lyrics!!!

its not fair!

i cant think of any good song lyrics and when i do i cant get decient chords for bass or electric
( i play both) and i cant make a song without making it sound like another famous one!!!!

Re: how the hell do i write a decient song AND lyrics!!!

Hey bassboy, Rooster3 here and actually that approach can sometimes be useful...When i first started playing guitar the first thing i wanted to do was play other people's music.  Lynyrd Skynyrd, ACDC, def leppard, boston, Molly Hatchet, and it goes on and on.  Then I realized that there were some songs i liked more than others because of thedifferent chord progressions.  Now I've learned how to throw my own chord progressions together and make up my own songs, lyrics, and leads.  Find the chord progressions you like and then try to play them in a different way, slower or faster, fingerpicked or strummed, just find a style you like.  I usually find the music i like first when i write songs and i believe songs flow better when done so.  Then write lyrics about things that directly affect you such as personal experiences, people you know,love, things you dislike, and ideas or views you disagree with.....It's a free world to write in out there so just about anything goes.   Over time i used this method and like you said for a while i had the dreaded "WRITER"S BLOCK" and couldn't write...But here recently i've been tearin up the pen and paper....so justgive it time, find the chords u love, the events that affect you and go frm there.  In time you'll be able to write your own original stuff like i do now..It's not hard, but it does take practice, and lots of It

"Fly on Proud Bird, At Last You Are Free"
-Charlie Daniels

cheers for that, ill try it

plz dont worry!! im only a beginner as well but if i were you think of a tune first!! its how i do it...and if it sounds like a different song than try it again, also think of what strumming pattern you would like, dont do lyrics straight up because if you think of a tune some lyrics dont fit.

hope everything works out!!

goodluck Rhiannon aka hinder_rox07

Follow your heart
It usually makes the right decisions <3

Bassboy,
dont worry about sounding like someone else, even the big stars do it.
Everyone has used bo didley's riff that george michael used in the song Faith, Lenny kravitz with his "it aint over til its over" sounds like someone else, The jams "in the city" bass line was copied by the sex pistols for "holiday in the sun" and the list goes on and on. The thing is the lyrics will not be the same. and if you think it is sounding too much like some other song then just change it by adding a chord at the end or in the middle and changing it slightly.

you can only do so much with rythums on a guitar, every strumming pattern has probably been done, every riff etc. all there is to do now is compose with what has already been done.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

wow i was gonna ask the same question but its answered now thks!!!

I agree with what uperkilt and rooster3 are saying - the same chord progressions can be played differently.  If you are overly worried that your song sounds like something else, it's just because most songs share certain common features . . .

It is more important to keep writing songs than to get bogged down on one song - so one particular song reminds you of another . . . no problem - write another and another.  Your 'original voice' will eventually emerge - keep creating.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

i had the same problem that you have although i play acoustic and electric but then i stopped trying to push myself to make new songs..and then one day they came naturally! i couldnt even write a poem let alone compose a song. some people have it in them and others have passion that helps them in what they want to do...the only thing i do is just sit with my guitar for hours and keep trumming and picking and saying whatever comes into my mind and in the end taadaa...its a new song...
welll that is what i do....try that if u like...goodluck man...

love is like a violin, the music may stop now and then but the strings remain forever...