Topic: Semi Hollow Bodies

So, I've kinda fallen for a Gretsch G5122dc, managed to have a little play with one and the thing sounds lovely.
But I don't want to ignore other brands out there and, unfortunately, my local music shop only has Gretschs.
Can anyone else suggest any decent contenders for about the same price or less (£500), I'm only really looking at double cutaways at the mo (currently have a LP copy, which is nice but...)

Cheers

Wakey

Re: Semi Hollow Bodies

We have that same guitar with the Bigsby tremolo in the band's lineup.  Plugged into a decent tube amp, there are few things that sound better.   And they look sharp, too.

Here it is in action...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_KUgFSHdfVi0/S7F-7d9RB7I/AAAAAAAAC-c/Z9TZzS68fhg/s512/DSC_3287-68.jpg

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

The 5122 isn't a semi hollow, it's a full hollow body with a sound post.  A semi-hollow is like a Gibson 335 or an Epiphone dot, which has a plank down the middle.

There is nothing currently on the market which can compare with the 5120/22 for value for the dollar, IMHO.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

I didn't know that about the 5122, always happy to pick up new info, cheers.

To play devils advocate, I see quite a few people are happy with the Ibanez Artcore range, I thoughts on those folks?

Tbh, I'm still leaning towards the Gretsch though.

I'm not familiar with the Ibanez; I started playing seriously about 3 years ago, and stumbled onto the Gretsch 5120 shortly after (the 5122 wasn't in production yet).  I fell in love with the look, feel, playability and sound and I've been a Gretsch guy ever since smile  One caution: the Electromatics are a gateway drug; you will soon be GASing for a Pro line.

Another advantage of the Electromatics is their moddability, if you're into modding at all, there are tons of (relatively) inexpensive options for making the guitar your very own.

--David St. Hubbins

Jerome,  You didn't mention the Dot?  Thought you had one... Playability, Sound and yes it is semi-hollow, great option for the money!  Does pay to shop around though,

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I own a Dot, and it is lovely.   Al's Gretsch gets all the stage time, though (That's Al, and the Gretsch in the picture).   We bring a whole lot of stuff with us when we play ( a comedic amount, in fact) once you count the banjo, the mandolin, and whatever acoustics we manage to drag along. 

Now that we're down to a trio, I may bring out the Dot more often.  That's assuming we don't try to find room to wedge the standup bass in the car somehow.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Used, you might be able to find a Epiphone es-295 like my gold top. Very similar. Scotty Moore played a Gibson es-295 with Elvis during the early days.

Cheers all for your thoughts, I wouldn't mind getting hold of an epi dot to have a play with and if I could pick one up cheap then who knows.  I think my long term aim will be to get the Gretsch g5122 though.
I mean, you pick it up and you never want to put it back down...   smile

Wakey638 wrote:

I didn't know that about the 5122, always happy to pick up new info, cheers.

To play devils advocate, I see quite a few people are happy with the Ibanez Artcore range, I thoughts on those folks?

Tbh, I'm still leaning towards the Gretsch though.

Couldn't be happier with mine for $300 US with the nice sunburst finish and crisp bindings.  Artcore model is just plain beautiful and pretty sweet to the ears.
Here's a sample of one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcgcmm57if0

Good luck/Steve

Well, it's done.

Tonight I pick up my new toy, a Gretsch G5122 in walnut.  I'll probably get home about midnight, tired but happy.

smile

have you thought of this new fangled invention called "the bus?" if you cant find what your looking for in your locality, try another town.

bit of advice;

dont buy a guitar cos you've fallen in love with it's looks. hold it, play it, feel it. then if it still measures up....buy it.

i was dead against a fender telecaster till i played one in a music shop (out-side my manor) so i bought it and the love affair continues....dont you just love happy endings?

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

The chap would have been happy to post it but I didn't want to risk it, so I did a little drive down the M4 from South Wales to Heathrow to pick it up but at least it's all in one piece and I had a chance to make sure all was well with it.

Absolutely sound advice, I've got a local shop and it's there that I got my hands on a Gretsch 5122 and it was just lovely, totally works for me. I'd love a strat at some point but every time I pick one up they just don't work for me, so I think it's best if they stay in the shop  sad 

I'll be putting some flatwound strings on it before to long and will need to get it properly set up as the chap that was selling had only had it 3 weeks from new (he didn't warm to the guitar).

14 (edited by dguyton 2010-08-12 14:07:31)

I had a bit of a "warming up" period with mine; time and a bit of modding have made my 5122 second only to my 6120TM in my hands and heart.  Flatwound strings (I use Tomastik-Infeld JS-111's) and a Tru-Arc bridge make a very good guitar one of the best, IMHO.

Enjoy your new friend.

Also, if you become a Gretsch True Believer (I did!) you can find lots of great information, and one of the best discussion forums anywhere, over here:  http://gretschpages.com/

--David St. Hubbins

i just bought a hofner verythin 60,s style semihollow and it plays wonderful and is lite weight

Cheers for the advice dguyton, it's a guitar I very much enjoy, I'll get to modding at some point but it's just so shiny at the moment.  I refer to it as 'my Precious'.

I'll have a look at the Gretsch pages, ta.

Yes, my Precious, you have drunk the Kool-Aid...

--David St. Hubbins

Wakey638 wrote:

I'd love a strat at some point but every time I pick one up they just don't work for me, so I think it's best if they stay in the shop  sad

Keep looking for your Strat. I must have tried 30 guitars before I found the right one for me and it turned out to be a Classic Player 60's. Not what I was expecting!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Sshhhh, tempt me not.  smile