Topic: When you're in the guitar store....

...do you ever feel....nervous?

I have been studying this over the past week and I noticed that out of the 3 guitar stores I go to in my area, only one of them do I ever feel jittery at.

Music and arts
This is the store I consider a beginners haven.
It's like visiting family...totally relaxed and laid back. They let me play on anything and everything and even play with me on other instruments (Piano, bass, viola, harpsichord, etc...). Customers are encouraged to play together and jam. Never too many customers and I've never seen it crowded. I can always think of something to play and can stay there for hours on end because the music they have playing in the background sparks my creativity and so do the employees. I visit this place at least twice a week if not more.

duet with music (In the mall)
Relaxed and nice employees that are friendly and kind. Small mall-based store with a small inventory of equipment on hand. Knowledgeable employees with good chops and actual band experience. I can usually think of things to play when I'm there. It can get crowded sometimes when it's after work hours or on saturdays when the kids in the mall are there. I only visit this place once a month...if that.

Make 'n Music
This is the "Pro Store" of the group. Really tightwad employees that have been playing professionally for years. Large inventory of equipment and lots of employees to ask about it (Think smaller guitar center with competent employees). However, that pro feeling comes at a price. The store is about getting paid and it shows. Employees hound you when testing equipment. If someone richer looking comes in the door you can count on your helper moving on to them. The store is ALWAYS full of shredding teens and young adults. Though their pricing can at times be AWESOME because of their large pre-owned selection of equipment and their store being a spot for musicians to sell their gear. I can never think of anything to play in this store because there is always some super-shredder next to me just wailing away on the guitar noodling themselves to death. No good background music playing either and they don't want anyone hanging out playing for playings sake. Needless to say, I only visit this place about 6 times a year.

I guess my post stems from my visit to #3 at lunch today. it just further cemented in the fact that I always feel "off" when I visit this music store. I can never relax because it feels like such a competitive and pushy environment. So I only go there when I KNOW I am going to buy something because they don't feel friendly any other way. Whereas I visit #1 all the time and sometimes I feel bad because I hang out and play for hours on end without buying much of anything besides strings and little accessories. The most money I've spent there was for my princeton 650 amp and for the few lessons I took this past winter. I've spent double that at #3 because they just have so much more inventory and unique items to offer.
I haven't ever bought anything from #2 because of the same issues as #1. They just don't have enough unique inventory to offer. Just generalized products from the usual manufacturers (IE: Fender, Jackson, Taylor, Gibson, etc...)

What do you all think?

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Re: When you're in the guitar store....

Well Dm, you just about summed up every "commission" store on the planet.  Doesn't matter what the place is selling, furniture, cars, guitars, or clothing.  Especially that feeling that the next customer through the door with a bit more "bling" gets the sales associates scrambling to do the "greet" and lay claim to whatever share of the sale they can generate.  Generally they know the products well, but are unwilling to spend any time assisting you in "shopping" because they might miss a "real good up".  Or on the other end put the thumbscrews to you to make a quick sale so the numbers are up on their side of the tally board.

I tend to frequent the more laid back retailers (like yourself) because they know their products every bit as well or better than the "big box" folks, and take the time to help their customers make a decision that they likely won't have remorse about.... and the returns that generates.  Customer service is a fine art and when practiced well leads to happy customers, referrals, and additional revenue from collateral sales that many retailers fail to figure into the equation when plotting the bottom line.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I always give my local guys a chance before the other higher pressure stores.  I'd rather spend an extra 3 or 4% for my stuff and know that its going to fit my style and that I'll be able to get help with it down the road when I need it than to save that money and give up the help. 

Now, if my local guys don't carry something that I want, then I'll get it from the cheapest place I can find, which is usually Musicians Friend or Guitar Center.  I almost feel like I'm cheating on my local shop when I buy from another source.  I get all my strings and picks and accessories at the local guys.  And when I buy something more expensive, I give them the first chance. 

I could have had a much larger mixer than the one I bought from my local guys, but that one had all the features I wanted at a fair price.  So I bought it there.  What good is it to buy a mixer with four more channels I'll never use from Musicians Friend and the only thing I'll get for it is more catalogs, when now I know when I have a question on this unit I WILL be able to get a straight answer quickly, and I'll get good service if I ever need a repair. 

I feel nervous any time I'm playing somewhere that isn't my front porch swing, campfire, or office. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You summed it up quite well, zurf.  I feel the same.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Yes, yes and yes.  I have a few stores like that... and sadly both my guitars were from guitar center.  I did go to the smaller guys first and enjoyed playing with a few they had and tried to give them my business.  I do the same as Zurf, I buy my strings and picks and such at the small stores.  I also hunted around for the best price on the H2 when hubby bought it for me, and there was no "best price" except online... so I sent him to the small music store.  I look forward to the day when I buy a guitar from the "little guy"!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I do that too, but sadly...whenever I buy something from Music & Arts, they just go to the Guitar Center website and order it online if they don't carry it in the store.

=[
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:

I do that too, but sadly...whenever I buy something from Music & Arts, they just go to the Guitar Center website and order it online if they don't carry it in the store.

=[
Dm

Gasp!  Well, at least they will get it for you even if they don't carry it in the store... but at what price does this "service" come?  Do you end up paying the GC price, do they raise the price, do they make any $$ off of it?  That seems very odd.

You know what?
I didn't think to check...
I believe it was the same price as I could've found on my own.
I will have to check my receipts from back then.

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Only when I'm in Dusty Strings.  Everything in there costs more than my car.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I go too my local dealer and buy most of my things as I got to know him and I will ask a price on something he tells me how much and I counter offer whith the low price at another store so he usually says he will beat thier price. He knows I will buy if he can make even asmall profit.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I decided to forego the music shops this lunchbreak and try out the pawn shops.
Even worse experience...

First they asked me if I wanted to sell my guitar...
I looked at them like they were crazy and said "heck no" and asked to try one of their line-6 amps.
They ask me more about my guitar.
I asked about their marshall amps
They ask me how much my guitar is worth.
I pack up and leave.

Frickin creepy.
That must be like what women go thru when guys just keep hitting on them and won't quit.

NOT doing that again!

>=[
dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!  THAT is exactly what it is like!

sad  Sorry you had such a bad experience at the pawn shop.

Thank you.
I swear, it was like being in a store full of vampires hungry for your blood!

=[
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:

Dm

No, but my credit card and bank manager are terrified!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Buzzwagon wrote:
Detman101 wrote:

Dm

No, but my credit card and bank manager are terrified!

Jerry

Lol...

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I'm probably the only one here that intentionally doesn't buy locally. I would except for several reasons.

Everything is overpriced. No lie. We visited Seattle and I got the same type strings 50% cheaper. The one guy that works there doesn't want to help. He owns the place and he's not interested. If that makes anything worse any mall that sells guitars will have a large selection then they do. I know too many people who wish that place would go out of business (Music teachers and other guitar players who specifically tell people not to go there).

Way back when before I played guitar there was a shop that was much much better. I think they closed down four years ago, probably moved to a better location. They had fair prices, they were ten times nicer and much more helpful. They gave you all the time in the world. (that was long before I picked up the guitar, but my brother did so I tagged along.) So good I still remember them from six years ago.

no audience required.

Nervous? I can't usually even get through the door! Just try & slide in/out without having to talk to anyone...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I have one guitar store and one only, unless I want to drive 45 min. It's run by Fred he has Martin and Gibson and some times 1 or 2 Guild guitars and bluegrass fiddles, banjos etc.. He does trade ins and has used equipment i.e. guitars, amps, keyboards. Fred plays fiddle, but not very well. I LOVE Fred

I remember this old man who had the music store in Mobile with the best stuff. I thought he was mean but now that I'm older I realize he was trying to survive us highschoolers with so little money.
I asked for a trombone the day after he recieved a shipment of 60 old used school horns. I wanted the best one so I had to play all of them. He screamed at me to please stop but I persisted.
I bought the very best one for 60 bucks.
I guess he kind of liked me after that. He remembered my name and even offered me a job some years later.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Yeah TheOnlyTaylor, you raise a good point.  Just because a place is small doesn't mean they're good.  I see that with tackle shops a lot.  Folks say to support the local tackle shops, but when I go in, there's absolutely nothing to make me want to spend my money or come back.  Not all of them, of course.  There's lots and lots of good ones.  Wow.  I'm doing a really terrible job of supporting your point. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Ah Dm, the dreaded "super-shredder". I can NEVER be accused of being that person. But they do exist and if you show any interest or praise - even with only slight eye contact - they will never stop or leave. It's like the old phone booth que. If someone was waiting outside a phone booth this caused the current phone conversation to extend.

I don't know about the rest or you I visit one of my local guitar stores at least weeekly. I have 3-4 close to  where I work and I try to vary my visitation patterns as if trying to elude a stalker. Fortunately  all of them let me stay as long as I want.

I do sometimes feel guilty that I don't carry a new purchase out each time but then I think I'm probably not the only one with this habit.

I travel quite a bit and find myself researching the area I am going to so I can get my fix while away from home. Sad.