Topic: Stupid question

Has any one tried acoustic strings on an electric guitaror vis versa? I was wondering after playing my two.

Re: Stupid question

I'm not sure, but I think electrics need electric strings for the pickups. My guess is that the magnets can't pick up the bronze and the core wouldn't have enough mass to pick up. I have seen video of Lightnin Hopkins playing an acoustic with a strat style pickup on some kind of metal brace across the soundhole. One of the comments said something about using electric strings with that style of pick up. I also wonder about the string tension. Is it just the way it feels or does an acoustic have more string tension than an electric.

No such thing as a stupid question.

I started putting electric strings on my acoustic from the day I got it.
Acoustic strings are just too big and hard to manage for me.
And Electric strings sound just as loud.
I use 10's on my '51 and my Yamaha Acoustic
Give it a try, I promise you'll like it!

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I'm a believer in putting the fattest, gnarliest,  thickest, rudest strings you can find on guitars.  It sucks for a bit, but they sound great.

Anyway, pickups are driven by basic physics.   If you run a conductor (your guitar string) through a magnetic field (your pup), you induce electric current (into your amplifier.)   So long as the string is made of a material that can effect a magnetic field, it will drive your pickups.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Back in the 60's you could buy just two types of guitar strings, smooth, flat wound for electric and wire wound for acoustic and as I remember different gauges were not available. The flat wound gave quite a mellow tone and electric guitarists started using the wire wound to get a beefier sound. Today wire wound are the standard for both types of guitar so I do not think you will have any problem switching one for the other.

If you do try it please let us know what difference, if any, it makes.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

My Gibson ES330 electric guitar has to have a wound third string. Most lighter guage strings we buy in sets have a plain third string that rings out louder that the other strings on my guitar and drives me nuts.
I went to a small local music store and asked for a single 18 wound steel string. He had none or any sets with a wound third, so he took a wound copper third string out of a acoustic string set and charged me for two sets of strings. sad
The copper string sounded lousy on my Gibson - really dead. I drove 80 miles to Guitar center and bought a pack of 6, 18 wound strings. Now I can buy any set of electric strings and substitute an 18 wound for the plain third.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

7 (edited by tandm3 2010-08-27 01:10:36)

I've got a hollow body electric that I put acoustic strings on once.  The strings were phosphor bronze acoustic strings.  When I plugged it in, it did produce some sound through the amp but it was weak. "Electric" strings were what was called for. There wasn't enough ferrous material to make the magic work.  Some acoustic sound-hole guitar pickups are designed for use with acoustic strings and they work fine.  On an acoustic with a piezo bridge, it doesn't matter because its the vibration of the string that creates the juice.If you're playing acoustic without an amp, electric strings will not produce the sound clarity and volume that acoustic strings will produce.  Its a matter of physics and taste. Personally, I buy three different brands and gages of strings for the guitars that I play.  Its what works for me.  What works for you will most likely be different.  Its taken me years  to find my Happy Medium. Good Luck finding yours!

P.S.  It's not a stupid question.

Now available in 5G !

Now I'm confused?? One says one thingy and another says another thingy. I gotta' invent an acoustic-electrical/electrical-acousticly guitar

i've always found that nylon strings as used on a classical guitar wont play on an electric through an amp, because they're made of nylon or (cat gut), very little or no metal.
steel strings as made for an acoustic guitar will play on an electric, not recommended though, as mentioned above, they do tend to be heavier therefor could warp the neck.
using a light guage string on an acoustic can produce it's own problems. if you tend to be a bit of a heavy strummer you may get more slap than tone!

further to roger's comment about flat wound strings in the 60's, the beatles used them up to the "revolver" album in 1966. listen to "i'm only sleeping" i loved the beatles, hated the flat sound on their acoustics. though georges lead riffs had that great twangy sound.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Most electric guitars...say a Strat or Les Paul type...will have magnetic pickups that need strings that have good magnetic properties. That's why most of the strings designed for electric are steel core with a wrapping of Steel, Nickle, Chrome or other metal that responds well to magnets. Some of those might then have a corrosion resistant coating to make them last longer. ie: Elixars, etc. Acoustic/Electric guitars typically have a Piezo electric pickup that responds to vibrations in the guitar wood or a microphonic type unit built inside.
Acoustic strings often are steel core wrapped with bronze, phosphor, silk or a combination of phospor/bronze to give a distinct sound. Course there are always exceptions and such, but generally speaking...nylon strings for a classical guitar ain't gonna work on a Strat since they don't have magnetic properties, but Electric strings can work on a Classical guitar with a microphonic or piezo pickup...   hope this makes sense...jg

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

jaygordon75 wrote:

but Electric strings can work on a Classical guitar with a microphonic or piezo pickup...   hope this makes sense...jg

However the internal bracing on a classical guitar is not designed to take the tension of steel strings. I have seen several classical guitars distorted and bridges ripped off through the fitting steel strings instead of the nylon ones they were designed for.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I'm using electric 10's on my Ovation acoustic 'cos I wanted a more CSNY type sound out of it. Works fine.

Roger Guppy wrote:
jaygordon75 wrote:

but Electric strings can work on a Classical guitar with a microphonic or piezo pickup...   hope this makes sense...jg

However the internal bracing on a classical guitar is not designed to take the tension of steel strings. I have seen several classical guitars distorted and bridges ripped off through the fitting steel strings instead of the nylon ones they were designed for.

Roger

Yes, I'm glad that Roger mentioned that! I failed to mention the design parameters and structural differences can make a big difference and in some cases result in damage.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.