1 (edited by mercer 2010-09-03 16:01:06)

Topic: Removing the finish on an acoustic.

Hi, I am trying to remove the lacquer on the top of my acoustic, any body got sugggestions on this?
cheers john.

Re: Removing the finish on an acoustic.

Youre a brave man. Let me know how you make out.

Glass paper and elbow grease! Chemicals could affect the timber so I would avoid them. Always sand with the grain and use ever finer paper, finishing with 800 or 1000 grit.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger has the right idea!

Chances are that there is not a really thick film of finish on there if it is laquer, so it shouldn't take too much effort to get it off.  My preference is towards using a cabinet scraper instead of sandpaper as you get a flat finish without the chance of removing excessive wood.  The scraper also prevents filling the grain with fine dust that might detract from the appearance of the finished surface.

A word of caution though... it is best used by one who knows how to true and sharpen such a tool, as doing it wrong can result in gouging.  A good sharp scraper will however shave the finish off without clogging and saves the expense of all those abrasives.

Good Luck, and send photos if you get a chance.

Thanks;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Why? Just asking.

6 (edited by mercer 2010-09-03 16:00:34)

Answer to Butcher8844.
I have made a repair to the guitar top and find it hard to disguise,so if I remove the lacquer it will be easy to cover up and then re-lacquer!
Here's hoping.
Regards John.

7 (edited by mercer 2010-09-09 19:12:56)

reply to jcellini.
Now removed all the finish from the top of the guitar, and all is well.
It is quite a difficult job to do! I had to cut it back with differrent grades of sandpaper as suggested by Roger Guppy,
and finish with bees wax. I am very happy with the end product.
The guitar is a Blueridge BR-OS which I bought in a market for £15.00.
Will try and post some photo,s when Iknow how!
Regards.
John.

Well I think a Blueridge for that price is worth some elbow grease.  It's good to hear that it worked out for you.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi John,

I am pleased you have done the job and are happy with the result. I hope you can post some before and after photos.

There is a 'Sticky' at the start of 'About Chordie' from mekidsmom explaining how to post photos if you are unsure how to do so.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

..I did this once on an old Gibson, I wish I had'nt...

Hi cecwood, I dont think I would have done this to a Gibson.
cheers John.

I asked a fine luthier about the many fine cracks in the clear varnish of my 1960 Gibson ES330 archtop electric. I was told that those fineline cracks are an indication of the exterior finish drying out enough to let the true wood tone of the instrument be heard, finally. He instructed me never to paint my guitar with anything that would gunk up the tone for another 50 years.
He told me to apply guitar polish only to get her looking her best and prevent the wood from getting too dry too fast.
I have never played another electric that sounded that sweet to me.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?