Topic: Going to Galway

Anyone from Galway? I'm headed there next week to watch the Guiness World Oyster Opening Championships. I'm curious about the Galway music scene, pubs and such.

Thanks!

Now available in 5G !

Re: Going to Galway

It's hard to find a pub without music in Galway, in my limited experience. It's possibly the Trad capital of the world. Tigh Neachtain or Neachtains Bar is not to be missed.

See also http://www.thesession.org/sessions/

Galway is a college town, and is more fun than anyone can have with their clothes on.   There is a good, cheap hotel right at the foot of Quay Street that will put you right in the heart of everything.  You can't go three feet without a pub, good music, and an army of drunk Irishmen singing at the top of their lungs.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Awesome, should be a good time!

Now available in 5G !

sounds like someone put a little peice of fun heaven in that town,have a good time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Jerome is absolutely correct.  Galway is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!  Just got back from a 9 day stay in Ireland.  Got to play Gibson pre-war mandolin with a band in a Temple Bar pub in Dublin.  Got to attend Frankie Gavin and De Dannen's latest album release show.  Saw David Gray on a stage right outside my hotel window in Galway on "Arthur's Day".  Seems like everyone there plays some kind of traditional instrument.  I found out that lately, traditional Irish music and Gaelic is compulsory in school.  I like that about a country.  I'm looking forward to a return trip.  By the way, drinking a Guinness in the Gravity Bar on the 7th floor of the brewery in Dublin is way cool.  But drinking a fresh Guinness anywhere is a treat. 
  I was amazed at the number of music stores.  Seems like there's one or two on every block. So the demand is high for guitars, drums, fiddles, mandolin and banjos.  I stayed on a street in Dublin that had 3 guitar shops and an instrument repair shop.  Amazing.  We have two stores in my town and I know that many Chordians have to travel for hours to get to their "local" store. In Ireland, it seems, you can't help but find what you're looking for within walking distance of where you live.

Now available in 5G !

Maybe you'll find a "Galaway Girl"!!! LOL

Yep !

Thats Galway, just a great spot of the wee Emerald Isle.

My ancestors are from there.

So glad you had a good time here..

On one trip i had this year to Clonakilty in the County of Cork
I was steeped with luck to meet up with,

Yankee Caravan: Dave Kleiner, Liz Pagan and Dave Sherman and there huge group of people,
from New jersey. In a word "Magical" Such wonderful entertainment on my hotels doorstep.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 … amp;ref=ts

I do hope to meet up with all of them next time there here.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !