Topic: Skunky beverages

So I got home from work and thought I should enjoy a few of my favorite adult flavored beverages this evening. The first one was great, just what you might expect after a hard day of work. The second was very questionable, poor taste and unusual smell, so I reluctantly poured it down the sink and retrieved number 3 which was back on par with number one. Potential disaster averted. Has anyone else found one skunky beer in a case, I can't think of any other time when this has happened and I hope it never happens again as wasting beer is not in my nature.

Re: Skunky beverages

What was the name of that skunky beer? Just asking!! I've never met a beer I didn't like! If it was skunky I just thought that I was a Roman soldier back in the day.

I'd have saved the skunky one for # 4 or 5 - by then you wouldn't tell the difference. big_smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I don't drink enough beer these days to warrant buying it by the case.  I'm fortunate that I live in an area that is overrun with small batch brewers, so when I buy beer, it's always cold and delicious.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

5 (edited by cameronkl7 2010-09-18 10:05:34)

I'm not much of a beer drinker here, so they all taste kinda skunky to me. I'm more a bourbon drinker when I drink, which seems to be less often as I get older, but once in awhile do do enjoy a good sipping whiskey. Not that I wouldn't have a beer, I would, I was just raised on burbon

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Every now and then I get a skunky beer, about 20 years ago I got one with a june bug in it, got turned off on that brand all together. I did take it back un-opened and was given a free dozen of my choice.

badeye   cool

one caper after another

It was Miller Lite, my regular brand.

Absolutely I have.  It's surprising that Miller Lite got skunked.  As I understand it, and I'm certainly no expert on it, is the skunking is a result of the beer spoiling.  It is after all somewhat like a bread or cake in that it relies on grains and yeast, so it doesn't last forever.  Light and heat are generally what work on a beer.  My guess is that your case was left in a hot truck.  Light is unlikely, unless that happened at your house because it would have been inside the cardboard box from the bottler keeping it dark until getting to your house.  So it probably got hot.  Miller Lite has enough "stuff" in it to keep it preserved to prevent that is why I'm surprised.  The "craft" beers that use only water, grain, hops, and yeast are the ones that skunk easiest.  I used to buy a fair number of Canadian beers, but gave up on them when the "skunk" quotient got too high.  Grolsch is another brand that seems to be skunked more often than not by the time it gets to me. 

So, anyway, it's a normal thing.  It's an unusual thing for Miller Lite or other fairly highly processed beers like that.  And you handled it exactly right.  No sense in drinking something that you don't like the taste.  It wouldn't have hurt you any.  But why bother, eh?

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

southrnrockr wrote:

As an Englishman I offer you my sympathies that you are able to refer to Miller Lite as beer!! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to try a proper beer as soon as you are able to obtain some. It should be drunk at room temperature, preferably from a pewter tankard, here are a few choices for you:

Fursty Ferret
Bishops Finger
Spitfire
Hobgoblin
Goliath
Snecklifter
Black Sheep
Firestoker
Dogs Bollocks

There are loads, most of them good.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

I can probably name 30 beers that I like, as a matter of fact I cant think of one that I don't like, I mean we are talking about beer here. As far as warm beer I will have to disagree with you on that one. For me the colder the better, You know you have them right when little ice chunks form at the top when you open the beer.

Jerry is correct..... The English know their beers!  There are some that just don't do well cold, one I remember was Stingo.  Dark thick as syrup and nasty ice cold, but at slightly below room temperature outstanding!

Jerome is here in the Pacific Northwest and we take great pride in our "micro-breweries".  Like the UK we have pubs with in-house brewing and some are very good.... most of them actually, or they'd be out of business.

I quit drinking awhile back, but still can remember appreciating the craft and the results.  My downfall was Single Malt distilled spirits.

Cheers!
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I have have always preferred the German beers, not the imports, but the real thing.  And I have had a few English beers in England, ales more aptly, and I prefer those over any AAmericam beer.  However, I do not like most of the European import beers here in the states, so When I drink, I have American these days and I usually suffer through a six pack or three before I have had enough.  I'll drink any kind, if I have to.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Miller lite and coors light are my domestic choices,but I do not drink much now. IFor a Treat sometimes I will buy myself some Samual Adams beer,G ood stuff!  for imports I like japans asai and Kirin beers. A friend of mine once got an rc cola with a slug in it,that was about twenty years ago.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

cameronkl7 wrote:

I'm not much of a beer drinker here, so they all taste kinda skunky to me. I'm more a bourbon drinker when I drink, which seems to be less often as I get older, but once in awhile do do enjoy a good sipping whiskey. Not that I wouldn't have a beer, I would, I was just raised on burbon

Cam

I just cracked a brand new bottle of Jameson 12 this afternoon.

Mmmmmm......   uisce beatha.

Buzzwagon wrote:
southrnrockr wrote:

As an Englishman I offer you my sympathies that you are able to refer to Miller Lite as beer!! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to try a proper beer as soon as you are able to obtain some. It should be drunk at room temperature, preferably from a pewter tankard, here are a few choices for you:

Fursty Ferret
Bishops Finger
Spitfire
Hobgoblin
Goliath
Snecklifter
Black Sheep
Firestoker
Dogs Bollocks

There are loads, most of them good.

Jerry

Might want to remind him that in England, "room temperature" is about 55 degrees.  smile

Anyway, I would like to second your comments.  With all the good small batch brews available in America today, drinking a fizzy watery American pilsner is no longer something you need to do.  There is real beer here.

jerome.oneil wrote:

Anyway, I would like to second your comments.  With all the good small batch brews available in America today, drinking a fizzy watery American pilsner is no longer something you need to do.  There is real beer here.

There is real beer here.  And there is beer that would like to be real beer.  The only way to tell the difference is by trial and error.  Of course, if you were to ask any two people which is which, I expect they'd have entirely different lists.  I've not been a big fan of the extreme hoppiness of American craft beers lately.  I'm not all that much into drinking flowers, and when I do care to drink flowers I'll generally go for some herbal tea.  I prefer beer to be malty rather than hoppy.  But there are always exceptions...

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude