Topic: Hard times all over I guess

Hi All,

I just read this article about the Queen of England and found it a little hard to swallow. I don't mean to offend anyone But I just wondered how everyone felt about this. Especially our Friends in England or anywhere else for that matter, again I don't mean to offend anyone just curious, but being a Southern guy and times being as they are I just don't get this Royalty thing

http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article/rr … eat_palace

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: Hard times all over I guess

While I don't think the queen herself made the claim for heating assistance and it was probably put forward by a member of her household it does conjure up an obscene picture of the old dear standing in the welfare line wearing her crown and robes and holding out a begging bowl.  A lot of people in the UK are unhappy with this when there are OAP's freezing to death trying to heat a 1 bedroom home even though the original request dates back over 6 years.  As the article says the queen is one of the richest people in the world but I think asking her to pay her own way might be like asking Barrack Obama to pay rent on the Whitehouse (I unserstand he is worth a couple of dollars).  I think the problem though is that the queen is given a state income from which she has to pay all expenses for the running of the monarchy. 
She pays for all of her staff and utility bills from her annual allowance as well as the upkeep of the various huge homes she has around Britain some of which are extremely old and liable to fall into disrepair if not properly maintained.  She also pays tax on her income this being around £4m on her income of around £38m.  It might simplify things if the British government simply paid the bills and gave the queen a salary.  I don't know how this compares with the US system and who foots the bill for the Whitehouse and other offices and residences of the president but I presume he uses it and the treasury picks up the tab. 
Saying all of that the news is definitely not popular over here and has again started the extremists screaming for a republican state.

All things good to know are difficult to learn.
Greek Proverb

3 (edited by bswyers 2010-09-25 10:03:56)

Downsize. If you can't afford it,get rid of it. Nothing personal intended here but if the common people can't afford something they do with out it. How many homes does one actually need anyhow?

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

That would be the simple answer but because of the legal implications I don't think it's possible.  All of the queen's properties are listed buildings and if she abandoned them then by law it would fall to the government to foot the bill for the upkeep anyway.  Listed buildings are protected here like endangered animals.  The solution of course would be for someone like Bill Gates to splash out a small percentage of his fortune to buy them and either move in or move the castles and palaces brick by brick to Arizona to stand alongside London Bridge.

Ian

Greek Proverb

5 (edited by jerome.oneil 2010-09-26 08:03:04)

British Monarchs have been perpetually broke since William poked Harold in the eye at Hastings.  This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Oh, and just for the record, this was one of the reasons us Yanks did away with Royalty outright.  We had this to say about King George III.

"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

There's one thing certain today and that is that the British monarchy certainly ain't broke.  Apparently her personal wealth is £290m,  If that's on the breadline I'd like to join her.

Greek Proverb

you can say what you like about the queen, (without fear of getting your head chopped off, or disappearing like they do in certain parts of the world) she is more concerned about us commoners than a lot of the government and civil servants (surely a contradiction in terms) and the rich people who only tolerate us so that we can do their bidding, eg: go to war as cannon fodder, or work until we drop in their sweat shops.

but surely this isnt just a UK phenomenon oh no, it's world wide. even you americans who "threw" us brits out (and we thank you for that) have the same "have/have nots" in society.

so you cant really knock the queen being a figure head and being paid an obscene amount of money for doing the job.

on the other hand, prince charles who is first in line for the throne, takes no money from the civil lists. he lives on the rents from his property, i believe.

we are all put on this earth for a purpose, what it is only time will tell

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I understand her helping charities, and certainly thats a great thing as well as the other things she does, I don't pretent to know all that the "royal" family does but I can and do blame her for taking an obsence amount of money that I'm sure could be use better elsewhere, especially in todays economy. I guess I just don't understand The whole King and Queen thing, royalty. I'm certainly not an expert on European history, but centuries ago when whoever decided they were going to be King and or Queen did someone not have to die to overtake that position or throne? I don't know I'm just asking. I will never understand paying someone that obsence amount of money just to be a figure head, I'm sorry I just don't get it.

Cam

Cam, can you see the sense in paying obsene amounts of money to footballers, basketball players, rock stars, investment bankers etc etc?

It is said the the monarch is chosen by God and the history of accession is not only ancient, but incredibly convoluted and really too complex to go into here, (lots of blood and gore, a civil war, several claimants etc etc, all the usual stuff really). However, amongst other things the monarch is also the head of the Church of England, (Defender of the Faith), and Head of the Commonwealth. The money that the Royals bring into the British economy as a result of tourism alone more than justifies the expense a fact that thankfully the majority of those fortunate enough to be born British, and therefore in a position to voice an opinion, recognise. In terms of attracting foreign investment their value is incalculable, Prince Andrew for example is a great ambassador for British business, it's a shame the same can't be said for Prince Philip who has an incredible history of committing faux pas but then he is Greek. Ok Edward is a bit of a waste of space but every family's got one and Princess Anne has more balls than all the boys put together, (not to mention an Olympic medal).

As for being broke, as an earlier poster has already said, if the Queen's broke I'll take some of that please!

The problem with giving the Government responsibility for the upkeep of some of the greatest buildings in Britain, (in fact for pretty much anything these days), would be that they would undoubtedly become run down and would eventually fall into complete disrepair as costs were slashed and slashed again to pay for more homes for the terminally afraid of work, more investment in the H and S executive and more money poured into the corrupt and seemingly wholly unaccountable banking system, not to mention of course our equally corrupt and unaccountable politicians.

As an Englishman and a Royalist to me the Queen is untouchable, like Winston Churchill, the 1966 football World Cup Winners, the 2003 rugby World Cup winners, real ale, the Spitfire, the Few, custard, roast beef and yorkshire pudding and the great British fry up.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Hey Jerry, I think we've got some of those same breed of politicians here.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Jerry,

I want to say again that I never intended to offend anyone, but I would be the first to say "yes" Football, Basketball, and Baseball players are grossly overpaid . I just posted this article to spark debate, and civil discussion and to give my opinion. Again I don't pretent to know all the Royal family does, what commerce they bring to the economy, I'm sure it's substanial. I still however do not get that she is paid an obcene amount of money, I'm sure the leaders of industry have a hand in the commerce that comes out of and into the country, as well as the Prime Minster and his staff. I'm not a Brit of course and I'm sure if I was then possibly I'd have a different opinion, and I would possibly be more educated on this subject, but then maybe not. I don't get it, I never will. I think it's outdated and unncessary in this day and age, but then again I'm just an old Southern boy and I don't mean to offend anyone. Anyway my Wife says I need to leave this subject alone so I guess that tells you who rules this house. My apologies to anyone offended.

Cam

The Queen of England and her family have long been an inspiration to people of many nations.
Governments wasting resources has and will always be a problem.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Well said Jerry.  Jerry's right with regard to the income generated by the monarchy in tourism.  Of the £76 bn spent by visitors to these shores in 2004 £44.4 bn was spent in London mainly by Japanese and US tourists keen to see the sights including Buckingham Palace.  It's difficult to move around London in summer without bumping into some Japanese students waving cameras or a blue rinsed US wrinkly complaining to her husband, "Jeez Hiram why cain't we have tea with the Queen?"  She can't understand that is a special privilege reserves for important visitors like the Simpsons.
And Zurf politicians are a special breed it's a shame many of them are two faced. lying, self serving thieves and that applies wherever you go in the world.

Ian

Greek Proverb

You can go see the palace without having to pay some old lady live in it.  Sports figures at the very least do something to earn their keep.  Bret Farve does not have a divine right to play football.   And the Queen ain't no where near an American politician.  Deviant as ours may be, they are all elected to their offices, and can be removed just as easily.  If any of them spouted off about how God reached down from Heaven above and anointed them to office, they'd get run out of town on a rail.

Monarchy is an anachronism, and should be relegated to museums, where it belongs.   It's much cheaper as well.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I was going to leave this one alone.....  But does anyone know how much it costs the American Taxpayers to fund the Secret Service Details that watch over our living "Past Presidents"?   How about the "retirement stipends" for all the politicians that no longer hold office?  Or the medical expenses they incur as part of the "Public Employees" benefits package?  Who foots the bill for scraping the Pidgeon Poop off of all the Monuments and Buildings in D.C.?

Seems we all have our little crosses to bear.....

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Jerry, that was a really rousing speech. Bravo old chap.
Jerome, in the days of yore, your little chirp would have cost you your head. Are you not glad that Lizzie is on the other side of town to you.
As for politicians, they are all football players in the same universal team ''scumbags united''.
As for seriously true corruption, I don't think that anybody can beat our guys over on this side of the pond. Africa, [just for those who might not know].
One last thing, I really do not know how poor old Lizzie manages on a measly 38 million buckeroonies per year. It must be murder to struggle so. That's me, at least i'm far away enuff' to keep my head where it sometimes belongs.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

17 (edited by bensonp 2010-09-27 15:08:59)

I may make some folks a little irritated over this, but is is true.  As Americans, we are proud of our country and our heritage.  We will fly the flag at the drop of a hat.  But, we are not proud of our leadership and this takes away from the equation.  This is a travesty.  The British, on the other hand, are proud of their country, heritage and have a great loyalty to their leadership, the Queen, in this case.  This is where we americans seem to be missing the boat.  Our loyalty has gone out the window years ago and it will take a strong people and a honest government  for us to gain back our loyalty.  This is kind of what is happening with the Tea Party currently.  The American people are trying to right our government so that we once again may enjoy the luxury of loyalty.
Say something bad about the president and you will have 10 people who agree.  Say something bad about the queen and prepare yourself for a fight.  This is loyalty.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.