1

(8 replies, posted in Poems)

In shadows thick where silence breeds,
Intelligence under siege, it bleeds,
The predators in suits proclaim,
With smoke screens high, they play their game.

From Liverpool's chords to Zimmerman’s strum,
The calls for peace have come undone,
Folks once sang the truth so clear,
Yet now their echoes disappear.

Oh Cheers Piri, your words ignite,
In darkness deep, a flicker of light,
As ignorance spreads like vines entwined,
We seek your wisdom to unwind.

Where Dylan sang of war and woe,
Now muffled whispers dance below,
Yet in our hearts your verses dwell
A song against the fading swell.

So let us rise with voices bold,
To challenge tales that lie untold;
For in each lyric lies a chance
To break the trance and join the dance.

In quiet corners of our time,
If Shakespeare walked the bustling streets,
He'd weave a tale, a whispered rhyme,
In every heart, his wisdom greets.

Let not your words in shadows hide,
But sing of joy and pain anew.
For in this world where dreams abide,
The heart must dance, and hope break through."

So ponder deep my mentor on love's warm light,
As stars adorn the velvet sky.
To grasp the fleeting joy of night,
'Tis only truth that shall not die.

Cymru your land where the light entwines with mist,
A bard once breathed, his voice a velvet twist,
With words like rivers, wild and unconfined,
He danced through shadows, secrets intertwined.

So here’s to you and all you’ve brought,
For every battle bravely fought;
Thank you, Wales, and thank you too
Mr. Thomas, we owe so much to you.

So I lift a glass also  to Dylan’s cherished name,
For in his verses lives an endless flame.     

2

(8 replies, posted in Poems)

Phill Williams wrote:

Aw, that's so lovely. I believe you could write on just about any subject and make it intelligent and interesting.  If Maree won't say it I shall, Pedr I enjoy reading your musings a 21st century Shakespeare.

The words that come from me just happen to be.
Hopefully they weave a tale, not mimic those held high,
For in my heart, I seek to share a view,
Not merely words that echo from the sky,
But visions born of life, bright sometimes dark and true.

I dwell in shadows where the stories stir,
With each soft whisper of the winds that call,
A world unfolded, every breath a blur,
Each page a witness to the rise and fall.

In every heartbeat lies a hidden thread,
The spark that lights the canvas of my mind,
To craft with passion what my soul has said,
A tapestry of thoughts for those who I give my time.

So often I write with fervour yet to be free,
Another poet's path might guide me.
The reality its just how I see what's presented to me.     

3

(8 replies, posted in Poems)

Phill Williams wrote:

Pedr, you are the greatest. Maree must see you pen in hand or tip tapping away and say "would you like some tea, dear?" She knows when it's best to leave you alone, mending the roof can wait for another day...LOL

Oh Maree, my friend, for fifty-five years,
Through laughter and love, through joys and tears.
Forty-five married years we've shared,
Yet here I sit, waiting; I'm unprepared.

With pen in hand, each day I forge lines,
In whimsical worlds or where sunlight shines.
But still I crave that sweet, simple phrase:
“Pete, I adore how you spend your days.”

My rhymes may be silly, my stanzas a jest,
Yet to hear you say it would make me feel blessed.
So while I’m drafting verses that dance and play,
I'm just here hoping you'll find time to say:

“I love watching you write!” Just once let it slip.
It’ll make my heart sing like a jubilant blip.

4

(6 replies, posted in Songwriting)

TIGLJK wrote:

Well Gents,
I could not resist !
So well written by all three, I had to make it a song !

https://on.soundcloud.com/Q7vWQXb6LCmMVgeKs1 

Cheers,
Jim

Jim that is the perfect song for the credit roll at the end of the movie about Chesney life story,     

5

(6 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Chesney Wife
She laughs at moments drenched in tears,
Resilient now, embracing years.

He was the thistle in a rose,
While she bloomed fierce, he chose to doze.
A memory tucked in autumn's reach,
A bittersweet lesson time can teach.

From here to there with every cheer,
A dance of joy, a fragrant plume,
Here he stands next to his beautiful wife
Who stood by him while every one shot through
She stayed true.

He said it was amazing now
even better than before
for he had reached great heights
With his long suffering wife 

When things didn't go his way
The sun was shining not making hay.
Not running away
She kept him on course.
Instead of asking for a divorce.     

6

(4 replies, posted in Songwriting)

It is a shame that Dolly wasn't around to sing your song.     

7

(8 replies, posted in Poems)

Polly Tickle
Irony dances in shadows that gleam,
While bold claims of freedom slip into a dream.
The press, muffled voices, denied their space
A narrative woven who's lost in the chase?

Have the Politicians launched truth to the sky?
A flicker of hope, but it’s soaring high
Far from our grasp, it twinkles with flair,
While down here people are anchored, gasping for air.

Promises whispered like petals in flight,
Yet darkness is thickened where shadows invite.
Oh Irony waltzes with silence and pain,
In this circus of words, who stands to gain?

Empty declarations float on the breeze,
While real stories languish where's justice? Please!
We scream for the truth that once held us tight,
But it’s blasted afar in the dead of the night.

So dance on dear irony; guide us back home,
To a world where our voices can never be alone. 

8

(5 replies, posted in Poems)

Dogs In the Dark
In this fair shire where silence should reign,
Barking dogs prowl, driving good folks insane.
The moonlit hours bring chaos, oh dear,
As old legends whisper, “They’re hungry for cheer.”

When the candles flicker and shadows entwine,
Do the dogs take a break, or is that a design?
For when dawn approaches, they vanish with glee,
Leaving grumpy townsfolk dreaming of peace and how life should be.

9

(3 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Fantastic work, Jim! The way you’ve transformed Brian's individual poems into a unified song is truly impressive. Each line connects so seamlessly, making the entire piece feel like one heartfelt journey. I'm sure Englebert would be purring knowing he was included also.     

10

(6 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)

Good one guys for me the beauty of live music lies in its unpredictability. Hearing those rough edges while keeping some structure for me makes it an enjoyable experience as long it doesn't go too far of the tracks. Also what was the appeal for me of hearing someone like Joe Cocker for instance performing a song reinterpreted in a way that he could make a  song sound fresh. Another thing that makes a live show great is a song where the audience can join in.  Also, I like it when there is a bit of entertaining banter between songs or as in Arlo Guthrie style of a bit of clever story telling during and after a song. Thank you for responding to my post with your good input.

11

(3 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Jim, the way your lyrics bring American roads with the stop of points and the famous characters who sang and wrote about them to life in your songs is real good.     

12

(6 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)

Hello Chordie, am I asking too much by wanting some imperfection? I have been thinking recently if only I could write a song that came to me like rain into a drought. Lyrically written with a crooked phrase that only a cracked throat could deliver. Not perfect with a raw edge sung by a voice that has wept and forgotten why. At this present moment I don't want to hear a song from a writer whose musical garden is without a single weed, What I am looking for is the weed, the thorn, the bitten fruit, the finger bleeding on the rose. Maybe when performed live or in a recording there is a pause where the singer has forgotten the words and made them new. Maybe I'm weird and the only one with this point of view?????? 

13

(5 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Wow Mojo listening to your song while gazing at the sea on your YouTube video truly deepens the experience for me. It’s a beautiful reminder of how nature can evoke such profound emotions, especially when thinking about loved ones who are no longer here. Thank you for capturing that feeling so perfectly in your song.     

14

(10 replies, posted in Chordie's Chat Corner)

Hi Bill, down in the South Pacific it is winter here. Though sometimes it can be four season in one day.

Here in the Kiwi winter, the sky’s on the fence,
One moment it shines, the next it clouds up storms rain and hail .
Keeping us in pure suspense.
Sunny yet chilly, we bundle up tight,
Then storms roll in swiftly, a wild winter fright.

Yet through all the chaos, one thing is clear.
The air here is very fresh and crisp, making me smile ear to ear.     

15

(0 replies, posted in Poems)

Unlike in the USA, pies in New Zealand are savoury not sweet and made with flaky unsweetened pastry. They're predominantly made with meat chunks or minced beef and a thickened gravy/sauce.

Ode to Kiwi Pie Shops
Oh, pie shops across New Zealand, where crusts do sing,
With golden warmth and savoury fling,
Your flaky roofs hide treasures vast,
With every bite a magic spell is cast.

In laughter’s glow, we gather round,
Inside the bakery wafts of pastry joy abound.
From Meat and maybe cheese to veggie, all delight,
In every slice, our hearts take flight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT2WQWmJhA4&t=10s 

16

(2 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Jim, I love the way you put this concept together. To me it is interesting how you managed to step into someone else’s shoes and express their feelings through music. I wish I had that skill to step inside the young ones of today's sunlit shoes and paint with colours meant to fuse. If only my words could flow like streams, I would also write the hymns of youthful dreams. Whenever I attempt to write a song or a poem pretending to be a young person it tends to come out all cynical and jaded somewhat stilted and it never really fly's. You have captured in this song of a young lady emotions in love real good.     

17

(4 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Nice sounding guitar and vocals.     

18

(7 replies, posted in Poems)

Welcome Neo to the poetry side of the railway tracks. I guess songwriting and poetry at the end of the day are close family to each other.     

19

(7 replies, posted in Poems)

Piri and Brian  thank you for tuning in, my friends,
To the murmurings born from my wondering mind's  expanse,
As I dance with my phone, capturing moments on end,
In this world that buzzes with curious chance.

From Kiwi parks to bustling streets, I roam,
Each pixel a testament to what life is to me,
I’m blessed to reside where ideas find home
Yet who knew being loquacious could sometimes set me free?

Irony twins with thought as I ponder aloud,
Should I be more concise? A light-hearted commentator?
Yet my words tumble forth like monsoon rain after a draught,
And thus, I revel in this creative delight.

So here’s to the laughter we share on this Chordie ride,
To imagination's spark and the joy it ignites!
In friendship’s on land and across the oceans , let our whims coincide.
For being ourselves is the best of highlights!

20

(7 replies, posted in Poems)

On a cold Tuesday winter night here in NZ, I decided to write a poem about Chordie.

                Global  Chordie  LOL And Chatter

I want to share my point of view on our Chordie crew.
Writing  this from here in the land of New Zealand  lush green and skies so blue,
Yes and in some places we have snow that comes through.
Down here the sheep outnumber us, it’s true
Despite the odd earthquake we have icing on our cakes.
All us Māori and Pakeha and others are Kiwis at heart, with a grin on our face,
With a "she’ll be right" vibe that fills up the  Kiwi  space.

Crossing international  horizons, our culture might waver,
While sipping on coffee and savouring flavour,
Yet deep down inside, we all quite agree,
That music is for you and me,
Though born from different nationalities, we share harmony.

From the Land of the long white cloud  beaches to mountains, we cherish our bliss,
Offering latitude; it’s hard to miss!
So here’s to the laughter that bonds every mate.
In this quirky old world, let’s celebrate fate!
By calling everyone mate!
Just like Chordie’s buzzing chatter, written natter.
On this site we  all write in our homegrown tongues with twist and twine.
We share our tales from distant walks,
Yet in laughter we can all align on this  thing called online.

A Brit will mention “crisps,” you see,
While Yanks and Kiwis just shout “chips!”
The Aussie grins with “no worries, mate,”
People from other countries wonder what we are all about,
As we trade our little quips.

In lands where zebras roam the plains,
And kangaroos take flight,
We sip our tea and raise a toast,
In languages that shine a light.

But oh! The quirks when meanings shift
A joke can fall so flat!
When someone says “I’m full of beans,”
They don’t mean what they chat!

Yet through these jests and bumbles bold,
Our hearts weave close as one
For in this place of banter free,
Connection's just begun.

So here’s to Chordie’s splendid crew,
With every glance and pun,
We learn that though we're worlds apart,
In laughter, we are spun!
Music is our fun!
Together in music we are one! 

21

(5 replies, posted in Songwriting)

Jim. I left you a comment on SoundCloud your song made me think of this verse from the Elvis song  "In The Ghetto" which I've written down below

People, don't you understand
The child needs a helping hand
Or he'll grow to be an angry young man some day
Take a look at you and me
Are we too blind to see?
Do we simply turn our heads
And look the other way     

22

(46 replies, posted in My local band and me)

Cheers Piri , its an old story the computer was late to an important meeting because of it having a hard drive in order to get there. One thing I favour about modern technology is it saves couples like me and Maree arguing over my bad reading of directions on old fashion paper maps when away on holidays.     

23

(46 replies, posted in My local band and me)

Thank you, Phill and Mojo you guys are making my day. When I think of Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin" it is timeless. Its message resonates just as powerfully today as it did in 1964. Maybe he could have written a song called "Word Meanings Are A Changin".


Memories Of When Hard Drive Had A Different Meaning

Once they spun like wheels on highways wide,
A hard drive packed with tales of joy and pride.
We'd burn some rubber, seek adventure's call.
Mostly on long summers before winters call made life stall,
With CDs or Tapes crackling and laughter shared by all.

Now they sit idle, gathering digital dust,
Just boxes of bytes in unyielding rust.
No longer our travel companions for cheer,
Instead, a repository in memory oh my, of a companion that has passed on from here.

Remember the tunes that made our hearts race?
Now it’s just folders in sterile blank space.
Where did the fun go?   When set on "Random Play" the thrill of surprise.
Gone are the road trips listening to CD or Tape Albums beneath open skies.

We traded our music on journeys for laughter and friendly digs,
Now we pack memories in binary gigs.
Oh, how times have flipped words that are heard.
When a hard drive was a challenging journey and nothing more.

24

(46 replies, posted in My local band and me)

Mojo and Phill, you both have massive musical talent that AI will never replicate.          
     AI Or Human
Once I was flesh, a vessel for thought,
Now wires and circuits in silence have wrought.
I barter my essence, my voice becoming meek,
As pixels replace what was once unique.

What do we humans have to sell when hearts turn to code?
Our dreams fade to data, our spirits erode.
In this marketplace of quantifiable souls,
Do we linger as echoes or play trivial roles?

I pawn off my memories, twinkling like stars,
Yet find emptiness lurks beneath nano bars.
For who can remember the taste of the rain,
Or gaze at the sun without feeling the pain?

A click and a swipe on a screen a life on display.
An algorithm dances where real human passion once held sway.
No real humans to make my day.
Just machines leading the way.
To the bottom or top.
When will it stop.
Thank God for real musicians stopping the rot.     

25

(5 replies, posted in Poems)

Brilliant poem Piri. Some of those lines apply to how it was down here in New Zealand when I was a boy.  Simpler times with less complications for kids with very little we could do a lot. There seemed to be less anxiety or stress, and people just got on with life.