Topic: The best era of music?

What do you think is the best era for music and what is your favorite?

Mine:

70's ... gave birth to distortion and the big, fat Marshall crunch sound (also the era I was born into)

My favorite?  70's and 80's (the 80's due to the influx of British pop music and keyboards)

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Re: The best era of music?

I love music from the 60s 70s and 80s. The 90s and 00s do very little for me apart from one or two songs from here and there. Pop music died in 1989. wink
I play mostly acoustic and "folk".

Mostly the 50s,60s and 70s some 80s a few 90s but after that zilch smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I'm sure it's mostly an age thing, but mine is 50's and 60's.  No better music ever.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

i was not born in this era but the 60's has got to be the best

I grew up wit h70's and 80's but I always loved the 60's

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I'm diggin' what I'm finding nowadays... Some great stuff out there from the 90's to today! Maybe it's just that with the internet music is more available and I'm finding more bands that suit my tastes...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I'm going to go with the sixties, but i love stuff from the nineties, too.

"Policeman shouts but I don't see him/ They're one thing I don't believe in"
-Tomorrow, 'My White Bicycle'

I think the seventies were the best, follwed by the 60's, the 80's sucked, except John Cougar thats when I came to know his music, the ninety's, the only music coming out that I like is country, same with the 00's thats just my opinion though, I'm sure there are exceptions, and like Bensonp said, I'm sure it's mostly an age thing, when you grew up, what you got use to, but I would go so far as to say that some of us olders guys, have heard more music for a longer period of time, and been able to judge music over the passing decades of music. no offense to anyone younger, I think we covered this topic once before though, didn't we? Anyway, I guess I still feel the same way. I just don't feel the bands today, or most singers have as much overall talent as they use to, back when people wrote their own music, played their own music and sang their own music. Again though I'm sure there are exceptions.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but I'm going to anyway.

At the start of the Millennium, we had a huge poll in the UK - "Music of the Millennium." Just about everything was from the last 15 - 25 years.

1000 years to choose from and people voted for stuff that was effectively today and yesterday.

Where was Mozart?

Today his music has been found to resonate with ALL life forms: it can bring autistic people back while it's playing (check out the Tomatis system!!!), plants grow best when played it, all animals are calm and alert when they hear it (Even the Horse of the Year programme used a Mozart tune for it's theme).

People are still discovering what his music can do.

My favourite - Notte e Giorno Faticar (Instrumental) can't find a Youtube version as good as the one I have on CD tho'.

This is still bugging me 9 years on! Rant over!

Playing this game - Side 2 of Close to the Edge sent me when I first heard it in 1985 and still does.

Hendrix, Clapton, The Beatles - it has to be the 60s and 70s!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Yes, but hard to dance to, Kajima.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

KajiMa wrote:

Sorry to get on my soapbox, but I'm going to anyway.

At the start of the Millennium, we had a huge poll in the UK - "Music of the Millennium." Just about everything was from the last 15 - 25 years.

1000 years to choose from and people voted for stuff that was effectively today and yesterday.

Where was Mozart?

When I said I preferred the 60s 70s and 80s I forgot to mention I meant the 1760s 1770s and 1780s. smile

The best era for music has to be from when the first cave bloke or girl hit the rocks together up until today.  Music constantly evolves but admittedly there's a bit of an eddy at the moment with manufactured images rather than out and out talent.  Then again we do have the Kings Of Leon and ... well Kings Of Leon!  I can't think of another band or artist that quite resonates like they do right now.

Just my twopenn'orth

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

I agree Stonebridge!

Nothing like jivin' to Barroque 'n' Roll!

big_smile

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

I've always been drawn to the 60's and 70's then i really came into loving music in the 90's since that was the decade of my teens. None of todays music is suitable except for those that copy the sounds of yesteryear then it's few and far between. That is just for rock music now the other genres of music is all different. I like most of all other music past and present.

80s and 90s.

That's about all I listen to still as the music nowadays is utter garbage.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Bensonp, my good man, pearls of wisdom, what can I add to your answer, other than the fact that we must both be baby boomers. The 50's and 60's set the yardstick by which all other music is judged, and created, if you take John Mayall's Bluesbreakers album with Eric Clapton, after more than 40 years, it will still rock the sox off plenty of newer artists and albums. From Buddy Holly to Jimi the Man, they blew the planet apart. The same cannot be said for many of the newer groups, maybe it is an age thing, but, I have nephews and nieces who love Elvis, The Shadows and all the rest of the ''older groups''.Hip hop and Rap I am afraid to say,,,,, well,   better that I don't say.
Long live good rock&roll.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

Far out, buvvy, as we used to say.  John Mayall, all right.  Used to be one of my favorites.  I, too have older kids and even grandkids who like a lot of the 50's and 60's.  Go figure.  Go Woodstock.

Right on man, it is just outtasight,really groovy. Woodstock, how I would have loved to have been there. I did go to the Bath festival tho' in 1970, Led Zep, Pink floyd, John Mayall with Peter Green, that really was far out man.lol

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

i find that there is good music from every decade. the hard part is trawling through the dross to get to the nectar.

i play mainly 60's music in my live gigs, which i find well received in most venues.

i found the 70's heavy rock and progressive rock genre's most interesting. the 80's i found were a little short on imagination as was punk.
the 90's and 00's is so filled with rap that it's easier to turn the radio off. but there is still some good sounds out there, as long as they dont run out of ideas and start rapping!

i love that sound they got in the 50's recording studios, but as PA's were less powerful in those days than your  MP3 player the live sound must have been awful.

imagine the conversation;
" who did he say was playing?"
"i dunno, elvers priestly or something" lol

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

imagine the conversation;
" who did he say was playing?"
"i dunno, elvers priestly or something"

Yep, my father was in the ABC Cinema (I think it was) when the Beatles played Belfast in the early 60's. He was a policeman. He said you couldn't hear anything above the screaming. He also claimed not to have known who they were, ( which I always found difficult to believe). He was more a Jim Reeves guy.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

It's all about genre.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

22 (edited by gitaardocphil 2009-07-28 17:01:59)

Like PHIL wrote: every decade has great songs.
MY THEORY IS THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE SPEAK ABOUT 60ties & 70ties BECAUSE MORE SPECIFIC: QUIT NEW AND UNSEEN + A MASS PRODUCTIVE PERIOD
First ELVIS & the Sun studio with Sam Phillips, launching the careers of Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf, Rufus Thomas and numerous other significant artists.
Most people (sam included) that he should have been bigger then Elvis, THIS IS TRUE!!!, if there weren't his juridical or moral issues

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I kinda have to go along with Phil this time around.

There always is good music regardless of decade... sometimes it is just a bit obscured by all the less than good stuff out there.  The really good music is timeless and those are the tunes that almost everyone can hum along with (or even remember some lyrics).
Still out there on the airwaves and being appreciated for what they were, and still are!

Every genre has it's gems... even hip-hop and rap has some good imagery in between the violent, disrespectful, and downright vulgar garbage that's being passed as "music" these days.  Hard to find, but it's out there.... but then again maybe my "geezer" is showing.  Who knows!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare