Topic: Effects

Hi,

A beginner electric guitar player here, with a question:

I'm getting interested in applying effects to my guitar, but there are so many varieties of hardware and software.

<b>What would you recommend for a beginner like myself?</b>

I'm not interested in having a lot of pedals and stuff, I will never perform live...

Any and all imput is appreciated!

Best regards

TrueRocke

Re: Effects

Basic, distortion & chorus pedal maybe a compressor (for sustain). You can buy cheap ones but buy a better built one that will last alittle longer. (Boss)

Bootlegger.

Bootlegger guitars.

i think you should start with a distortion...I have a vintage rat but I like the boss blues driver

then move on to a wah...i like the crybaby

then chorus...boss

then digital delay...boss

I feel like that is a complete pedal setup, but that's just for my style of playing...some people like those all in one pedals, but I think that you sacrifice quality of tone for all in one-ness if you know what I mean...

If you are a beginner and you aren't playing out at all, you should buy and learn each one individually before you buy the next one...this way the you don't contract i-can-only-play-with-effects-and-i-can't-play-clean syndrome.

I'm a beginner and am finding there's plenty to be had tone and distortion wise by manipulating the guitar and amp's respective volume and tone controls. Last night I came across a real nice bluesman sound by putting both tones just a bit below middle, turning the amp volume up and the guitar volume low.

It may all depend on the amp you have and how it matches the styles you desire. I suspect I've purchased a practise amp with stupid levels of gain since I never turn the distortion up off zero once it's engaged but otherwise it gives me old-fashioned growl and thwak. I get the impression that amps like Roland's Cubes give a clean sterile sound so might require effect pedals more. Maybe it's me...

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Thanks for your replies!

I'm currently leaning towards getting a <b>multieffect</b> pedal, like Behringer <b>V-amp 2</b> or Line6 <b>POD xt</b>.

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about these? Maybe some other recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

I have a Berhinger ACX300 acoustic amp that has loaded effects and it sounds good. I have seen their effects and they are affordable but I have not played them.

The POD XT is an amp moduler so not only effects but samples different amps.  I have a Johnson J station (You can find them for $99.00 american now)

at the time I bought it the POD's were around $399.00 and I could not swing it so I got the Johnson for (AUH!) $230.00.

Go to a music store and play them find out the pros and cons about your choices. It may be that since you stated that your a beginning guitarist you may be overwhelmed with a pod. But you have to try them to find out. My last statement is not to disuade you but to let you know what you may be in for.

Bootlegger.

Bootlegger guitars.

Id say learn a few songs then look towards getting 1 peddal to start off with see if u like it then mayby get a dearer one.

<font color="blue"><font face="Century">A really fun pedal that I like is the Zoom 505 II. It costs under $100. and has tons of effects from a swirling chorus to screamer metal! Also can plug a set of headphones and play without bothering anyone...especially good for those living in apartments, etc...</font></font>

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.