Topic: Pedals

Hello and Happy New Year to all.
I plan on buying a distortion/overdrive pedal but there seems to be thousands to choose from.
Can any one point me in the right direction?  My style of music is country, ballads and old time R&R, mainly from the 60s and 70s. I play a Greg Bennet Royale semi-hollow with humbuckers through a Kustom 65 watt amp, and a Maton elec/accoustic through an Ibanez Troubadour 35 watt accoustic amp. Both of these amps have chorus, reverb, echo and effects etc.  I "think" I need a pedal that will allow me to get some different noises from the gear that I have already got whilst still letting me play chords.
Any advice, including which pedals not to get would  be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

Re: Pedals

Nope.  Not gonna do it.  This is not a product search. This is a quest.  You're going to have to go out to a music store and try some. Even then, you won't be trying them in your usual setting with your usual set up.  Eventually, you'll find one that fits a lot of your needs. Not all.  Don't expect to be successful on the first go. Or even the fifth. I could tell you what I have but that will not help you. Good luck in your quest.

Have you tried overdriving your second amp channel to achieve the sound you want?

Now available in 5G !

Tandm3,  I found your reply quite negitive, not the kind of advice I have come to expect from friendly fellow Chordians. My question was "can anyone point me in the right direction" and went on to describe my music taste and equipment so as to maybe get some advice that is relevant. Your reply, "you have to go to a music store and try some" does not help at all. Incidently, the nearest music store is 185klms from my home, hence my question on Chordie for some help, having done a lot of online research before hand.
Cheers
Bushy

"Quincy Jones"

Sorry Bushy, What I was trying to relay was that the quantity and quality of available pedals is staggering. There are just too many to chose from. I understand your situation, you are too far from a store. That's trouble because you have to rely on opinions from people like me. You are also correct that I was gruff in my response to you.  I apologize.  I've been playing for 35 years.  I've bought, sold and thrown out a lot of stuff in that time. Recently I put all of my pedals in a box and bought a multi-effects processor.  Digitech RP-500 to be exact.  It does a lot of what I like in a relatively small package.  It actually does too much. For me that is.  Multi-effects processors provide a lot of sound options at a price that is way below purchasing individual pedals.  There are many fine manufacturers of these devices.  Maybe this is where you should start looking. Good luck in your search.

Now available in 5G !

tandm3, thanks for your reply. If you have played for 35 years and the Digi-tech RP 500 is too much for you, then I am not going to go anywhere near it.
Pity we do not live closer, I would love to have a rat around in that box of pedals you mentioned.
Cheers
Bushy

"Quincy Jones"

Hi Bushy,

I'm not going to be much more help than Tandm3 on the pedal question, because I don't use one.   Like him I find that the effects integral in my amps are sufficient to meet my needs.  But rather than going the effects processor route, like the Digitech, I use a midi controller that interfaces with my amp and allows me to not only select the effects and channel, but has the pedal to vary those effects all in one unit.  Cost me less than $150 USD and I'm still trying to figure out everything it's capable of.  One nice side of processors or midi controllers is that you can page through your effects and select presets for your playlist...  a couple taps on the correct switch, and your chorus is now a screaming wah, another tap and you have wicked distortion etc.

Sorry you are so far out in the Bush and getting into a shop is a major trek.... perhaps others on here will share some opinions that will help you narrow your search.  You might check out the musiciansfriend.com site and look over some options, as they have a good bunch of owner reviews you can peruse to get a feel for what a particular item really plays out like.  Sweetwater is another source with reviews, and I don't think they edit the comments so you get the good with the bad.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hello Doug and thanks for your reply.
I have had several looks at pedals on musiciansfreind.com, theres hundreds of them.
Living in a regional area so far from town is not the only problem I have, I am 60 years of age and if I start trying out all the pedals that are available, I may not live long enough to find the right one. LOL.
Some one may come up with a solution yet, I live in hope.
Cheers
Bushy

"Quincy Jones"

Bushy,

Here is another bit you might consider.  MIDI (musical instrument digital interface) has been around for almost 20 years now, maybe longer.  I have NO (repeat: None, Zilch, Zero) comprehension of how it works,why it works, or what it is for.  For a younger crowd or a more educated crowd, or whatever type of crowd, this may be the perfect answer.  Every device I own and currently use has a MIDI plug in the back of it. I do not have a clue as to how to use it or what it is for.  My background is tube amps and pedal effects.  To me, "triggering" is something entirely related to weapons that use gun powder as a propellant. So what I'm saying is that, 35 years of guitar playing doesn't really mean any progress in technical-electrical application, or ease in the area of live performance. There is still a lot to learn, even for an old dog like me.  Or, you rely on what you know.

Best of luck,

tandm3

Now available in 5G !

9 (edited by craig23 2010-01-04 05:08:47)

A girl that I teach wanted a distortion pedal. I told her for the price of one distortion pedal she could buy a small multi effect pedal. She found a Digitech RP50 on craigslist for 30$. I was amazed by the amount of effects it had. Plus a tuner and drum machine. Like Tandm3, I agree there is a lot out there and perfecting a particular sound could drive you insane with all the different options. It sounds to me like you want a lot of options and not particullarly the perfect tone. If so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend something like this. As far back in the bush you are I think it might even be worth purchasing online and having it shipped. No I don't work for Digitech, but have used thier products and liked them. Nothing will ever be perfect, but this will give you alot of options for a little dough.

Might I suggest going to   http://www.bossus.com/   and checking out their products? They have a very informative website and I've had good results with their products. I use a Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive (and others) and really like it. Plus it's affordable for most. There is a staggering array of effects pedals out there but you'll find that many are simply copies of each other. Some of the websites such as Boss will have additional information including sound samples.  For the music you've mentioned I would suggest that you probably don't need anything that refers to "Metal". You mentioned onboard effects such as chorus and reverb in your amps...those can really expand the sound. A delay pedal can add more. Distortion is always good to add some grit to Rock or Blues. For lots of the "Chicken Picking" County a compressor can help a lot. Also just playing with your amp settings can accomplish a lot of different sounds...example with your guitar volume knobs all the way up, try lots of Gain on amp and then adjust the amp volume...More gain is more distortion. Back off the gain and add volume for a cleaner (sweeter) tone...etc...
I hope this helps some! Happy playing!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hello tandm3, craig 23, thanks for your comments
jaygordon 75, thanks for your kind advice. The Boss SD-! super overdrive has been suggested to me by others so I will have a closer look at it now that I have some direction.
I will also take up your advice re- guitar knobs all the way up, lots of gain on amp.
Needless to say, I am not too familiar with modern electric guitars and amps etc, having bashed away on accoustics since the late seventies, however I am having a ball trying.
Much appreciated
Cheers
Bushy

"Quincy Jones"

Some guys like using 2 complimentary pedals. For instance, a 'clean boost' like the MXR Micro Amp is often just enough to make the amp start to break up naturally. Then a something from the fuzzier end of the overdrive pedal spectrum has it's own distortion tone (think "American Woman" or "Reeling in the Years"), like a EH Big Muff Pi. Used to gether, you get a 3rd thing - amp and pedal each contributing something. Some companies now offer a '2 channel' booster pedal, with 2 switches, for two, combinable levels of juice.

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

Hello Folks,
               After reading all comments, and thanks to all for the replies, would it be reasonable to assume that an overdrive pedal would be more suitable for rhythm style playing than a distortion pedal or other type of pedal?  If I have got this wrong, feel free to set me straight.
Cheers
Bushy

"Quincy Jones"