Topic: Should I set up my Guitar myself?

As a very new guitar player (learner) I asked for help with chord changes.  I got a very detailed reply from a Chordie member who explained about guitar SETUP.  I checked mine according to the instructions he emailed me and sure enough my strings are way too high.  I live in a very small town called Deep Run, NC.  Kinston is the closest big town and it is 15 miles away.  I don't have a music store that I can go to locally.  Should I attempt to lower my strings myself or wait until I can travel to a guitar store and have them do it.  What should I expect to pay to have my guitar set up?  This is a $100 acoustic guitar with steel strings.  It does have the rod in the neck and I'm very handy with tools.  Are there any Chordie members who live near me who can suggest where I can get a setup done in the event I told not to do it myself?

Thanks,
Tony

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

Re: Should I set up my Guitar myself?

Tony - Quite honestly, the only adjustments I am comfortable performing myself are a bit of sanding the saddle and maybe tweaking the truss rod (but only 1/8 turn at a time). I encourage you to peruse this site, especially the link regarding lowering the saddle, here:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musicia … ion01.html

There is a fellow chordie member "Guitarpix" who is also from Down East NC - I am sure if you could meet with him, he could advise at a quick glance and adjustments that could / should be made.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hi Tony,

Top is right on, Guitarpix knows his stuff and if you could hook up with him I'm sure you'd get good advise.

I'm lucky enough to have several small shops with experienced Luthiers near me, and over the years I've become friends with a few.  Most towns will have at least one "closet" Luthier living in the area (as in, not having a retail shop) but meeting up with them can be tough.  If you have a tavern nearby with live music, you might wander up during a break and ask for a referral from one of the band members..... most musicians are friendly and will tell you the good and the bad.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks to both of you for the feedback.  I sent an email to Guitarpix and will wait for him to get back to me.  I won't touch my guitar myself until I communicate with him.

Doug, thanks for the long email...  I appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Thanks for the kind words guys smile

Hey Tony and welcome to Chordie! I live a little over 2 hrs south of you but get up to your area a lot in the spring for some mighty fine Bluegill fishing on the Neuse smile

I'll drop you an email shortly reference the setup! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

hee hee... I sent an email to Tony mentioning you too Pix!  LMAO!  I was a little less forward than Tops and Doug by doing it in secret ... alas, I did do it too!  I guess you've officially been nominated to help this new member out!  big_smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom, I didn't mention you above because you did send an email and I figured you wanted to remain private.  Pix, kidsmom was the first one to drop your name.  Pix, I don't fish, but I love seafood.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks MK smile I have the whole weekend free, so your vid is up for recording finally wink Sorry for the delay again... -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

9 (edited by christopaul 2010-01-30 20:32:45)

As long as you don't go overboard. you won't do much damage whilst adjusting the truss rod. Just rmember to losen your strings give it half or a quarter of a turn at a time. I think this is less drastic than filing the saddle down. You can always lossen off the truss rod if you've made it too low. You can't stick the filings back on the saddle.

It's not too difficult and you'll learn a lot along the way. If you are able to adjust your truss rod yourself, you can experiment with different guages of strings.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

Thanks Pix!  You're the best!  I will check that out today!

You know I didn't mention your name here straight away so you wouldn't feel obligated...LOL... but after the other guys did, I couldn't help but giggle it out!

christopaul wrote:

As long as you don't go overboard. you won't do much damage whilst adjusting the truss rod. Just rmember to losen your strings give it half or a quarter of a turn at a time. I think this is less drastic than filing the saddle down. You can always lossen off the truss rod if you've made it too low. You can't stick the filings back on the saddle.

It's not too difficult and you'll learn a lot along the way. If you are able to adjust your truss rod yourself, you can experiment with different guages of strings.

Chris, as you no doubt know the truss rod adjustment is for removing a bow from the fretboard and not for adjusting string height per se. Your post does not make this clear and may be misleading for a beginner. Truss rod adjustment, nut height, bridge height, fret height and intonation are all a part of setting up a guitar to make it play and sound the best it possibly can.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

A surprising number of touring guitarists, even the ones with full-time guitar techs, are pretty good at setting up their own instruments. I've seen them pull truss rod wrenches, nut or fret files out of their kit bags and go to work. Point is, if you have multiple instruments and are handy with tools, try to gradually learn these skills, for the same reason that my father-in-law made my wife change the oil in her first car, back in high school.

Joe
Roadie & Reviewer
GoodGearGuy.com

I'm awful hesitant about advising someone who is a beginner to start turning a wrench on his own guitar. Especially if it's a $100 dollar guitar. The guitar might not be that much of a loss if damaged, but many of the cheaper guitars I've seen just simply can't be set up well. An experienced player would have a better idea of what he/she prefers in the way an instrument plays and handles. I have a couple of guitars that I love to tinker with and then also have a couple that are set up and maintained by professionals. Course Tonyespo mentioned that his location and resources are limited but perhaps he can play some other instruments and find out what works best for him and his style of playing...  To answer his question...In my area a proper set up on a guitar or mandolin is 40 to 50 dollars. If any parts need to be replaced then that is added to the overall price...

Also Toyespo, once you are able to obtain perhaps a better guitar then by all means use your $100 guitar as a project and start learning and having fun...  hope this helps some...it's only an opinion

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I just want to update everyone.  Pix has been working with me ONE on ONE with email.  Like you all said he is awesome.  It took me two evenings to get the adjustment made with the truss rod but I now have my straight edge perfect from the 1st fret to the 12th fret, there is no bow at all.  I replaced my strings with Martin light strings.  I still have 5/32 gap at the 12 fret to the 6th string.  I will wait for Chris to instruct me further on making any additional changes.   I'm ready to practice, practice, practice.

Tony, Our next step will be to file the nut slots to their proper depth... I'll have the nut files you need in the mail tomorrow with directions for use and I'll send you some pics via email to aid in the process... Once we get the nut right we'll adjust the saddle and decide what relief you want/need before the final touches are made smile -Pix/Chris

I'll respond via email also...

I think the next step is to practice, and quit tweaking on the guitar.

You're a new player.  You are going to have problems fretting well, especially in the beginning.   A well set up instrument is a dream, but it shouldn't be an impediment to you practicing.

So I'd play with it less, and play it more.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Jerome, I agree and disagree.  My strings are so high that it makes it painful to play.  I do practice and I understand there is pain involved in learning.  However once my guitar is setup properly I will be able to devote more time to practice and less time to healing my fingers.  My strings started out at 6/32.  They are down to 5/32 and I would love to get them to 3/32.

tonyespo wrote:

Jerome, I agree and disagree.  My strings are so high that it makes it painful to play.  I do practice and I understand there is pain involved in learning.  However once my guitar is setup properly I will be able to devote more time to practice and less time to healing my fingers.  My strings started out at 6/32.  They are down to 5/32 and I would love to get them to 3/32.

Your fingers are going to hurt no matter how your rig is set up.  It's a simple fact of life.   The 1st order of business for anyone learning to play is to get rid of their monkey hands, and turn them into player's hands.  That hurts, and requires dedicated practice.   A difference of 3/32 of an inch isn't going to mean a whole lot in that regard.

I know guys that carry extra saddles in their kit and change them out with every gig in order to compensate for temperature, humidity, and other environmental factors that can effect the neck.   But these are dudes that have been playing for years, and understand what that means, and how it effects their playing.   We are not such people.   What I'm hearing you say is that "I can't practice effectively because my guitar isn't set up perfectly."  And I simply don't believe that.   You can't practice effectively because you're not practicing enough, as is common with new players.

Having a well set up instrument is nice.  But unless it's *seriously* mangled, it's going to be just fine for your needs.   The old golf adage of "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian" is just as true with guitars.   You could run out and spend $5,000 on a perfectly set up Martin or Taylor, and you are still going to have sore hands, you are still going to struggle to fret properly, and you are still going to sound like a n00b.  An experienced player could pick up your rig right now, and they'd sound like they knew what they were doing.   

I have a Tak I'm working on that had the nut come lose and rotate under the strings.  The result was an action at the nut that was more akin to a dobro than a guitar.  But it was playable, even if it wasn't the greatest feeling neck in the world.   A bad setup sucks, but it's not the end of the world, and it shouldn't stop you from practicing.

I tell new students the following when they tell me their hands hurt.

"Your hands hurt?  Your hands don't hurt enough!"

You don't have to be a masochist to play, but it helps.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I agree with Jerome. My acoustic was "screwed" up by my local guitar shop. I could almost stick a pencil between the strings and the fretboard at the 12th. I was still able to play it though. I originally took it in because I'm a noob and I thought they could make to easier to play. Unless your guitar is way out of wack then I would get to strumming that thing.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, everyone I get the point, but I think you missed my point.  I haven't stopped practicing because my fingers hurt.  I haven't stopped practicing because my strings are not set right.  I haven't stopped practicing because my neck had a bow in it.  I am practicing, a lot,  but in between, I am working on making my guitar set up the best it can be with the resources I have.  Pix has been kind enough to really go out of his way to help me and for that I am so grateful.  I live in a small town and the nearest music shop to me is 40 miles away.  I don't even know if they have a qualified person to set up a guitar.  That is why I am doing it myself.  I am going to learn to play the guitar.  I am going to learn how to do basic maintenance on a guitar.  And someday I'm going to "pay it forward" by helping out a noob, like Pix is helping me.

I don't think Tony is saying he's not practicing because it's too hard. He's still putting in the time but has to stop frequently. He just wants to be able to practice more and I think that's great smile Lowering his action 3/32 of an inch is considerable (IMO) That's reducing his fatigue by half and allowing him to practice for twice as long smile Yea he's still going to have to suffer through the pain to toughen his fingers and the time to build muscle memory but he'll get in more play time during the process. The progress/satisfaction you gain from being able to play longer and more comfortably is well worth the time it takes to set up a guitar (IMO). I think a lot of new players give up because of poorly set up guitars... Yea, if you want it bad enough you'll suffer through any setup but why do it if you don't have to?
   I think every player should have a basic understanding of set ups and be able to do them ,to some degree, on their own... But that's just me  smile -Pix

Right on Pix!

A good setup takes one more small barrier down.... and we all know that the frustration level early in the game can be almost overwhelming at times.  I firmly believe that there is nothing wrong with learning scales, and notes, and chords, and Tabs,  just as there is nothing wrong with learning as much as you can about the hows and whys of the instrument you are learning to play.

It may not be "necessary" to have every guitar you play "perfectly set up", but if it adds to the enjoyment..... it couldn't hurt.

Thank You Pix for stepping up and helping Tony, which is what Chordie is all about. 

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Agreed... and from a more newbie standpoint as well.  If my husband's cheap guitar had been set up (at all) when I picked it up those first few weeks, I probably wouldn't have felt so frustrated, would have been able to practice a little longer at each sitting, and wouldn't have felt the need to run out and buy a brand new guitar after a few weeks because I just could NOT continue to play his.  Had I not been so determined to carry on the "family" guitar playing, I would have quit.  Had I not bought my new guitar and had to continue with his, I would have quit.  Now that I've been playing for several months... I still can't really play his (he has set it up now somewhat, and it's better, but it's not a Pix set up smile).  I've picked up steel strings in the guitar stores that I CAN play. So I know it's not the steel, it's the set up.  I say GO FOR IT while you keep on practicing!  Worst thing that could happen is you wreck it and go grab another $100 guitar... but that won't happen with Pix on your side!  big_smile

I just want to let the group know that my guitar setup is done.  It started with adjusting the truss rod.  It took two days for it to adjust slowly.  Today I cut the string notches in the nut and lowered the bridge.  My stings are level and at 4/32 for now. I also replaced my strings with Elixir light weight strings.  Non of this would had happened if it weren't for PIX.  He guided me all the way with detailed information.  I never once worried that I would mess it up and damage my guitar.

So now it time to practice, practice, practice. 

Thank you Chordie for this excellent forum and thank you PIX for that you have done to help me.

Tony

Good luck, Tony.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.