Topic: acoustic pick-ups

What is the best pick-up for a Martin D-18

Re: acoustic pick-ups

Hi Doug,

Actually Guitars & Accessories is likely a better place for this topic, but I'll toss in my tuppence anyway.  You know I'm kinda fond of the under-bridge transducers for a couple of reasons:  They are completely passive and don't require any power source so you don't have any battery hanging in a pouch inside the guitar to come loose and start banging around in there.  Installation is fairly simple and non-destructive to the guitar or it's finish, with the elements super-glued to the inside of the guitar under the bridge so no clamps or screws required.  The connection is at the lower strap pin so only that hole is enlarged to install the jack.  They are really small & light so they don't dampen the vibrations of the top, the sound is very much like the guitar sounds un-plugged just louder through the amp. Costs around $85.00 USD last time I had one installed on a friend's Taylor with excellent results. One other advantage is that you can use your favorite acoustic strings and don't need to go to electric like you do with magnetic pickups... Phosphor Bronze, Silk & Steel, whatever floats your boat.

Take Care & Thanks for posting! 
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

http://www.acousticon.com/mcintyre.htm
http://www.fishman.com/products/acousti … ickups.asp

I would look into the Fishman or McIntyre Pickups for your Martin...both companies make excellent products used by many professionals. I'm going to have a McIntyre Acoustic Feather pickup installed in a Weber Mandolin...   Fishman makes a wide variety of pickups for guitar including soundhole magnetic pickups and under the bridge transducers...    Each type can have advantages and disadvantages...I agree with Doug about the magnetic pickups. Those require "electric" instrument strings and can limit your sounds.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Doug - do you know what make/model of pickup your friend had fitted to his Taylor? Am looking for something similar myself.
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Hi Norm,

Yes if I remember correctly they were K&K mini.  Made just down the road a piece and over at the Coast here in Oregon.  If I'm not mistaken, another Chordian Guitarpix, also had nice things to say about them in another thread of similar character here on the Chordie Forums.

They are strong enough to plug directly into most PA systems without any pre-amplification, and sound as close to what the guitar sounds like natively as just about any brands out there I've heard.  They are on the top of my list of accessories of that type for installation again if the opportunity arises.

The price has gone up a bit since, but still only around 125 USD.  You might Google K&Ksound.com for dealers in your area.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks Doug!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Wow! Tough question!  Best pickup for a D-18?  probably a condensor mic outside of the guitar.  There are so many options here.  Depending on where you're playing and what kind of amplification you've got, there are probably thousands of answers.  I personally would explore anything made by Fishman, Barcus Berry, or LR Baggs.  I had a Dean Markley pro mag sound hole pickup that I used for probably 15 years before I upgraded. I still think its a great pickup, i just didn't like the cord interfering with my right hand.  Good luck in your search!

Now available in 5G !