Re: BYG - Aug 11, 2018

So here's my deal. My sister lives in Elmira, which I think isn't too terribly far from ThemKidsFolks' house. With the process of getting my Dad's properties ready to sell, I'm going to have to take some furniture up to her. I bounced the idea of me taking the furniture to my sister and then heading over to Jim and Amy's for BYG, and she seemed OK with it.  I may have a child accompany, and may not. I may have a sibling accompany, and may not.

I'll try to make this work out. In the meanwhile, it's time to get my tent repaired.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

So here's my deal. My sister lives in Elmira, which I think isn't too terribly far from ThemKidsFolks' house. With the process of getting my Dad's properties ready to sell, I'm going to have to take some furniture up to her. I bounced the idea of me taking the furniture to my sister and then heading over to Jim and Amy's for BYG, and she seemed OK with it.  I may have a child accompany, and may not. I may have a sibling accompany, and may not.

I'll try to make this work out. In the meanwhile, it's time to get my tent repaired.

Cool!

On a guess I would say about 2 hours from Elmira to Syracuse.

That's pretty darned close to Google Maps' guess, Uncle Joe.

Edit to add: I've had quite a few 500 - 800 mile weekends, so another 100 miles, give or take, isn't that big of a deal to me. And I'd probably be driving Big Red instead of the Battle Prius. Driving Big Red is as comfortable as sitting in a Barcalounger. Then again, there's not much furniture and it may fit into the Battle Prius...

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

It's looking pretty strong - probably 90% - that I'll be there on Saturday late afternoon. I'll stay the night and head out Sunday morning. So not a long visit, but I will make it. I will not have any human companions.

Zurf wrote:

It's looking pretty strong - probably 90% - that I'll be there on Saturday late afternoon. I'll stay the night and head out Sunday morning. So not a long visit, but I will make it. I will not have any human companions.

Cool! See you there. smile

See you soon. There will be three of us this time.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I should be there early Friday afternoon and will hang around and aggravate  Amy and Jim 'til Monday morning.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

WHOOT!  I'm so excited to hear all this great news!

Zurf, if you decide to bring a human companion with you, know that they're all more than welcome.  My girls will be here as usual.

Ken, we look forward to your arrival Friday afternoon!  UJB, I imagine we should expect you sometime Friday as well.  I'll make sure there's something yummy for snacks and dinner!

JJJ (and crew), I think you're all coming Saturday along with Zurf, correct?  Either way, we'll see you when you get in town.  Also, "Canal Fest" is going on in Sylvan Beach next weekend.  Think "4th of July".  Just a heads up that there will be a bunch of random things happening down there all weekend.  Of specific interest to your crew may be the vendors/crafters set up all weekend.  Also, Saturday night you will want to plan on staying late and not running down the motel for anything toward the evening hours.  There are fireworks planned for 9PM (generally, they hold the least impressive fireworks shows), which means there will be insane traffic down there in the evening.

BUT... if you ever wanted a "scenic tour" of Oneida lake from a Helicopter, go on a Canal Boat tour, see a Mind Reader, a small circus, or other random things - there's a LOT happening next weekend and quite a bit of it will be right in front of Cinderella's. 

Ken, I'm not sure how much information you don't ALREADY know (or how interesting the NY Canal is to you), but there's a "Lecture on the History of the Canal" 3pm on Sunday at the Union Chapel (parts of "The Sterile Cuckoo" with Liza Minelli were shot there). I'm thinking it might be a bit too dull for the girls, but could prove interesting if you like canal history at all.  Of course, being in NY, it's one of those State history things we are required to know about here.  LOL! 

"Fun" NY Canal Fact:  Clinton's Ditch (where all the digging started) happens to be right by Fort Stanwix you all visited one year.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

We will be leaving Friday. Its a 5 hour drive. I`m figuring on late afternoon or early evening.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

35 (edited by unclejoesband 2018-08-02 21:42:51)

I should roll in somewhere around noon. I have the traffic thing figured out, as best as possible.

If I leave here around 6:30-7:00, I miss the Harrisburg rush hour. Get near S/WB around 8:30-9:00 and miss their rush hour as well as Binghamton an hour later. Hit Syracuse before lunchtime traffic.

Barring any major construction or accident delays,  5 hours to the little lake. smile

ETA: Should I stop and kidnap TIGLJK on the way? lol

We had quite an extensive canal system here in Ohio too Amy. Here in Ross county we had several locks and one of the canals connecting Lake Erie with the Ohio River ran through Chillicothe back in the early-mid 1800's. The lake in our city park was once a place where canal boats could turn around.

It's about a 9 hour drive for me so I plan to leave around 5 am. Looking forward to seeing and hearing everyone play again.

DE

Put new La Bella strings on my acoustic for the first time and am looking forward to hearing how they perform this weekend.  I included a couple sets in my last string order as Classical Guitar recommended them.  Camping gear, chairs, clothes and bourbon are packed and stowed in my truck, guitars are staged at the kitchen door and ready to be loaded in the morning.  Alarm clock is set for 4 AM........... I think I'm good to go smile

DE

Yep. I'm all packed as well.

The only thing to do in the morning is fill the cooler with ice and throw the guitar in the trunk. I'll be leaving here around 7 and should arrive around noon.

I'm all packed too !!  But I'm not going as far as New York..... might stop by the John Day for a bit though (will be over that way and include it for the benefit of DE). Thinking about wetting a line, most likely in one of the lakes (or a couple) Kokanee limit is FIVE per day and that's more Phish than anyone can put away in a single meal You folks all have a good time and Travel Safe.  smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Good luck and tight lines, Doug.

I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of you soon. I am also packed, I'm having some coffee right now while some of you are on the road. I'll get to my sisters this afternoon to give her her furniture and things. We'll probably go to some live music tonight, or make some. Probably an art museum, as my sister is an artist so it would be cool to see her art hanging. And I'm hoping to find somewhere for a good, hot breakfast. My sister loves her baked treats, so I'm sure she'll have the diner with the best cinammon rolls all scoped out.

Hard to believe but a week has passed since I pulled into MKM and MKD's driveway and began a wonderful weekend of great fellowship, great music and great eats. As always, Jim and Amy were perfect hosts.  Their BYG is no place for a vegan - every meal included some form of pork they get from a local butcher.  Saturday morning's home-made biscuits and sausage gravy with bits of bacon in it was the best I ever had. And Saturday afternoon's pork butt barbecue with home-made potato salad and all the trimmings -Wow! It was Cris's and Uncle Joe's birthday so of course there was cake too.

It seems that Jim, Zurf, Robert (aka "Topdawg" or "da Judge") and I all have a taste for Kentucky bourbon so during the weekend there were several pauses to salute another " dead soldier" (empty bourbon bottle) as it was given a burial in the trash can.

Oh, and did I mention there was music? I logged somewhere around 12 hours in the "circle" over the weekend. MKM, MKD, Uncle Joe, Topdawg, JoeyJoeyJoey, Zurf and I took turns and were occasionally joined by MKM,MKD and JJJ's offspring.  We played 'til after midnight Friday and after 3 AM Saturday night. I headed home Sunday so I could help Jennifer with some projects. I took a "scenic" route so it took a little over 10 hours, but I still had a smile on my face when I walked into my house.

DE