Topic: "Sung And Played To The Tune Of........."

If I re-write a popular song from long ago (60's) using my own words and the above phrase written on the TOPIC SUBJECT line, am I violating anyone's copyright?

Thanks

PS: Example:  "The Little Old Lady From Argentina" sung and played to the tune of "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?"

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: "Sung And Played To The Tune Of........."

All works published in the United States before 1923 are in the public domain. Works published after 1922, but before 1978 are protected for 95 years from the date of publication. If the work was created, but not published, before 1978, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years.

AS far as substituting your own lyrics - I don't know.  I hear many songs that sound exactly like another.

There are only so many ways you can play chords -  bound to be similar songs.
I wouldn't worry too much about the copyright police unless you are making big bucks off of it

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I think Jim's right about the copyright, but there may be a bunch of "WIGGLE ROOM"  in there for things like parodies and such.   As long as you state your intention and credit the original author/artist as the source and don't malign the original, you could be in the clear. I too doubt that you will have guys in suits knocking at your door.  FWIW   smile

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Agree with the general sentiment about copyright stated above. If you are not making money I don't think there is a lot of interest. But, if it's a hit song, and any part of it sounds like a riff from another song, its probably going to be challenged.

You can also just say "Cover of __________ , in the style of ____________"

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thanks everyone. I did finally finish it and posted it.

Do y'all ever do this: You begin writing a song or poem, store it, can't get it off your mind for some reason, and then tell your self, "This has gone far enough I'm getting it done TODAY!"

Wish I had more days like that. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill some days both songs and poems come easier than other days at least for me. It depends on a given day if you feel creative or not and you also have to realize that and not force it.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

8 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-05-17 02:39:48)

Good advice, Classical Guitar.  I guess I'm like the guy in the restaurant writing on the napkin or the guy keeping a camera around "just in case". I just don't go to restaurants these days and my memory doesn't serve me well enough to remember to take my cheapo camera.

Well, okay. That last one's a cop-out, I know.

I'd like to kow more about your creative times/practice/performance schedule. sometime.

Thanks again

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill, for me it is random.  When the thought / idea hits,. I scrible it down. Or make a note or verbal note in my phone.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I'll usually get a a notion for a guitar riff while I'm doing something mundane, like mowing the lawn or driving alone for some distance. Unfortunately, it usually never blossoms into anything more than that.

Substituting lyrics is something that arises in a situation, when someone does something ridiculous, and changing the words to a song to suit the situation happens. My first year roommate at university was incredible at it, and gave us lots of laughs at each other. Weird Al Yankovic made us all smile with his re-writes, like his "The Saga Begins" using the music for Bye Bye American Pie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcjgJSqSRU

NEVER heard that one and Dondra and I LOVE WEIRD Al. And what a s NICE guy too!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

12 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-05-22 22:12:57)

No cirticisms of the OP? I know it's just a copy, but I thought someone might sing along just to see if I got the meter right, anyway. I'm not as good as some of y'all, and I admit I'm crazy as a loon, but I sure would still have liked too rad "too dark", "why you write such weird stuff", "rry one on your own for a change" or something.

This is one of those from the "attic" and I just HAD to get it out.

Feelings aren't hurt at all and maybe I missed something, but go ahead and crtitiqe. It can only help1 smile

Bill

PS: It's listed under poems called MORALITY

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass