Topic: installing a pickup into an acoustic

I'm a little bit ambitious - I have done woodwork projects in the past.
What I want to do is put a fixed pickup in my acoustic guitar.
I have bben told that you cut out the spot with a knife ( stanley knife )
Does anyone have any tips.
Regards Armen.

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"

Re: installing a pickup into an acoustic

There are different opinions about pick-up installation. I have a few very quit expensive guitars, like a Gibson Montana Gold SJ-200, custom shop, also a Martin HD-28 (probably the best I have, always in tune, a very loud sound and solid. I also have a Martin D-45V. I went to the guitar store, asking the same question. They told me that in most acoustic guitars, they have to drill a little hole. But remembering the sixties, in particular seeing people like Bob Dylan, Donovan, who played at that time using 2 microphones, one placed near the third fret, you were able to hear a great sound too. You just need to place the mics in such a way, that you avoid the biggest problem, a horrible feedback sound. I must say, it works, and I own 1 Martin D-1, electro acoustic, giving me a great sound. I don't use a lot my acoustics to play electro-acoustic, I am not a performer, I am glad to play pretty good and "not performing", I play my acoustic guitars as they are. If I want to play electric, I take one of my electric guitars
and plug & play ( I collected guitars, not longer these days).
But I am convinced that there is a system, you can put in or on your acoustic guitar, without holes, it is not that cheap. There are a lot of decent electro-acoustic guitars, like Takamine, used by more and more guitar players (the prices are getting higher, I think that, once the manufacturer realise that their brand is starting to be popular, the prices are going up too. They also start to use better wood.
I hope I could help, but it's up to you of course to decide.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Check out Fishman , Marcus-Berry, and McIntyre products...all have stick on acoustic pickups that go inside the instrument and if you want a really clean installation the you can replace the strap end pin with an end pin jack. All have websites and customer service who will assist you with information. All of the pre-amp, equalizers, etc., can be done outside the guitar. Fishman does have some really nice units that would require installing an battery box and control panel but then you get into cutting, sawing, and fitting stuff. I did install a DiMarzio blue single coil pickup in a Resonator guitar but that involved cutting a slot for the pickup, drilling holes for volume and tone controls and replacing the endpin...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I was conned into believing that only a "professional" could drill an end pin jack hole correctly, so i paid 50 bucks the first time i had it done.  One guy even told me it took a s"special" drill press. The pin fell off as soon as i tried to attach a strap, so i had to take everything apart and screw it all back in myself.  the hole the guy had drilled was really rough and crappy.  the next time, i got a nice sharp drill bit and my handheld electric drill and made a nice clean hole, way better than my "professional".  if you can work with wood, this is a simple task.

Try these:

http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/guitartech … db5df7f0c5

http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/seymourdun … db5df7f0c5

You should be able to find them in the states as well.

Awhile ago, I took bootlegger's advice and purchased a B-Band  A2.2 pickup for my epi Dove.  I just put it in yesterday. I am by NO means a tech.  Change strings, a little polish and that's about it.  After reading the instructions and going to their website for support, I thought I might be able to handle this.  The system is straight forward and there's no soldering.  Just simple plugs.  With some patients and careful fitting,  you can save some money and do it yourself.   oh,  it sounds GREAT.

rndthefire wrote:

Awhile ago, I took bootlegger's advice and purchased a B-Band  A2.2 pickup for my epi Dove.  I just put it in yesterday. I am by NO means a tech.  Change strings, a little polish and that's about it.  After reading the instructions and going to their website for support, I thought I might be able to handle this.  The system is straight forward and there's no soldering.  Just simple plugs.  With some patients and careful fitting,  you can save some money and do it yourself.   oh,  it sounds GREAT.

Nice! aren't the B-Band products great.

Bootlegger.

Thankyou so much guys for your help, really appreciate it.

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"