Topic: AUTOMATIC GUITAR TUNER

What is your opinion about an automatic guitar tuner?
As far as I could read this has to be a wonderful device. I know, there are a few categories of people who tune their guitar:
- by ear, and check the tuning like putting your finger on the 5th fret, on the E-string, to hear the same sound on your second string, third string...
- using devices. There are a lot of different tuning devices, Korg, Fender (I have this one, giving you the correct tone or "tuned string"by showing A or E, on a display.
- Using your effect processor, and even your amp.
PROS & CONS:
- By ear, some players are really skilled. I don't have a problem to tune a string by ear, it gets worse when every single string is out of tune. My "guitar buddy" is the "self-claimed" master in tuning a guitar by ear.He has 1 big problem: alcohol, and worse his attitude, a shield to hide his weakness = sarcastic, always claiming that what he tells is the truth and the only truth. It is sad rto see your friend "degenerating" more and more, throwing away so much, being one of the most intelligent people I know.(SORRY BUDDY).
- It seems that you can even use your phone, I believe the dial tone is an F. ARE THERE STILL PEOPLE USING THIS?
- Of course the tuning devices, 1 device, sensitive mics, and pretty accurate. OR all the build in tuners in floorboards, effect processors. PROBLEM: you need to plug in your electric guitar.
CONCLUSION=
I DON'T THINK THAT AN AUTOMATIC TUNER (see website) IS A BAD THING TO HAVE. The comments are very positive, you put it on, and you get the tuning you want. Comments are real positive.
http://www.actiontuners.com/#ordernow
WHAT IS YOUR ADVICE OR OPINION ABOUT THIS 49.99$  TUNER?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: AUTOMATIC GUITAR TUNER

Hi Doc ,
   I used to tune by ear untill
by little bro turned me on to
the little fender pedal tuner
about twelve years ago . I love this thing . I just use a tee connector into it and I plug everything I'm using in to it before the chorus . It's
full chromatic so I can tune anything with it , and it will pick up the tone even if you're a mile off . Also it does'nt eat batteries just having something plugged into it . When you hit it , it lights up and is easy to see on the floor .

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

doc i dont think any tuner is automatic eccept the robot guitar,you still have to turn the pegs and if you have limited eyesight or none you have to tune by ear also if the intonation is off then you will never be in tune no matter how many times it looks good when you tune the open strings.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I don't know...I looked up the website on that Action Tuner and it seems to be more of a gimmick to me. I think someone is better off with a quality tuner that you can plug into or use the built in mic for acoustics and simply tune the instrument. I have a Korg that I can tune everything that I have with. Also have a little Seiko that clips on to the headstock and senses vibrations...I use it on mandolins and it works well in a noisy environment...it also has a built in mic. I just can't get into the concept of a machine turning my tuning pegs until it thinks everything is right...maybe I'm just an old codger  or something.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

http://www.hotguitarist.com/prod_review.html   http://www.actiontuners.com/

Some more info: the String Master Robotic Guitar Tuner will actually tune your guitar for you
The String Master robotic guitar tuner is simply the most amazing guitar tuner ever invented. All you do is hold String Master on each tuning peg and pluck the string. String Master listens to the sound and its powerful gear motor actually turns the peg for you until that string is tuned to perfect pitch.
String Master is also the only guitar tuner that can re-string your guitar; automatically unwinding the old string and winding the new string with a push of a button.
In fact, these 2 websites I mentioned show us how to tune a guitar, but as JAY tells you can called a gimmick indeed, but a "super" gimmick. Just place the universal peg adjuster over the tuning key for the string you want to adjust and begin picking the string. the robotic tuner takes over, winding the peg until the string is tuned. COMMENTS AND REVIEWS ARE GREAT. BUT as told, it is a USEFUL GIMMICK. It looks so strange, "pluck a string and your string will be tuned exactly as you want. Even the best tuners, I use a FENDER ST-1 STAGE TUNER (10$ in a pawnshop) very accurate, but even when the string, like the A string is correct, it is difficult to tune the string 100% perfect, I still need to adjust a lot "by ear" to STRUM a perfect sounding chord. My second is a Korg, with a needle = analogue and I am not ashamed to tell that this "gimmick" is high on my list. I love gimmicks, but I hate guitars almost in tune, like a perfect C-chord, but playing a G-chord I need to corrcect sometimes by ear.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

i dont know doc tunning is kind of a ritual with me and i enjoy doing it myself i like the idea that i control the procedure not some machine theres to much we entrust to devices because its easier and quicker i favor a slower hands on approach

I am in agreement with Russell on this one. Learning to tune your guitar is one of the first basic lessons and should naturaly be the first thing to do before you start playing. When I learnt to play tuning consisted of guessing the low E then pressing that on the 5th fret for your A and so on, until we discovered pitch pipes (and they were nortoriously out of tune). Electronic tuners have now made the job so easy.

Anyway if you are going to have a machine to do your tuning, what is next? A machine to play the guitar for you perhaps lol

I guess you could say that personally I am not in favour of these devices.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

amen

Roger, where can u buy a machine to play the guitar for u? I wanna get one. Just think of all the crying it'll stop from sore fingers. I won't have to listen to my wife say "I wish you would put that away for a while" any more. I won't have to buy CD's just to learn a song, anymore. I won't have to try to print out the sheet music any more, never have to transpose the song into  playable chords any more. Won't have to worry about the hot groupies chasing after me any.......Wait just a d**m minute - I'm gonna keep playing!!!!!

Nela

Is the kind of tuner that you clip on to the head of an electric at all accurate?

NELA, you definitely need to buy an "air guitar", a great guitar, no need to tune, and a very light weight. There are even competitions, and last time the winner got a Gibson BFG)

I don't mind tuning the 6 string by ear, but the 12 string is a nightmare. I know the principal is the same, but timewise its just faster and more accurate to use a tuner, and i believe i have a good ear for pitch.

"War never determines who is right , only who is left"
"Democracy is the right to protest about  the lack of it!"

I'm an acoustic guy, but these things look like they would be worth checking out if I had an electric:

http://www.n-tune.com/

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

ROGER, I am throwing the ball back in your camp. (at least a small ball) WHY? most of us are able to tune the guitar. If you see an online video, they start explaining how to tune your guitar.
I also noticed that a "tuning device" showing you that the needle or digital, shows you a tuned chord. My point is, that EVEN WITH THESE TUNERS, you need 100% play different chords.
Even if my guitar is tuned "perfect' you still need to do a "check-up" by strumming A, E, G, C, D, B(less). In at least 50%, I need to adjust a so called TUNED string "BY EAR". I never relie on what I see on my tuner. 90% of the chords are nicely in tune, and even seeing this, the most important item to tune your guitar is and will always be YOUR EAR. Nevertheless the automatic tuner is maybe a gadget, but weren't the first electronic tuners also gadgets? A lot of people used a tuning fork. CHALLENGE: remove all your strings, and put brandnew strings on it: WHO CAN TUNE HIS/HER GUITAR ONLY BY EAR? I agree you can tune perfect your guitar resulting in the faact that your E string is higher or lower. You have no point to compare. Maybe if you change your guitar string after string, giving the opportunity to have a point of reference.
I really love the AUTOMATIC TUNER, it is an evolution.

doc I can tune my guitar by ear but no stringed instrument is ever perfectly in tune because the nature of sound is that a string vibrates when plucked at a approximent rate and fluctuates and is influcenced by the other strings because they vibrate even when not picked much like a piano if you hold down a triad c e g and play a lower c the keys your holding down will produce a chord (sympathetic vibrations) professional piano tunners use this method to tune a piano

Lieven,

What Russell has said is exactly right and to answer your question to me.

I use, what is now quite an old, Korg tuning device as it has a meter and not a digital disply and I must admit that I normaly have to make minor adjustments to the B and e strings but it takes only seconds to do. The automatic tuning gadget could tune no better than I can with my Korg and I guess I would still have to make minor adjustments.

The other thing that concens me with the auto tuner in what does it do if the string is too tuned high? Does it tune it low and then bring it up to the correct pitch? Or does it just tune it down to right pitch so that as soon as you start playing it goes out of tune again?

I disagree with your comparision between automatic tuner and a tuning device. A tuning device gives you an accurate reference to work to when tuning your guitar (far easier than carrying a piano with you to tune to lol). The automatic tuner takes away the human element of a skill and is saying that a chip of silicon is better than a human.

In my opinion my brain and skill is better than any automatic tuner and when I have to rely on a contraption like that is the time for me to give up playing.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Tuning & Tuners  !!??
It can be a bit difficult sometimes when you read (emails/fax/blog/forums etc) as it is sometimes difficult to realise(especially if you don't know the writer)if they are actually serious or just as we say "having a laugh"

When I started playing,  the Ark, had just settled, and all we had was "Pitch pipes" neither did we know anything about "Intonation" (string length) nor did we have "electric guitars " as they hadn't invented ones that we could afford at that time .

So I blew into the pitch pipes (1 for each string) and tried to tune the string to the pipe/harmonica-like sound  as best I could and then wondered for years later why my guitar always sounded out a tune  when I played it, but sounded in tune when I listened to the "open " strings against the sound of the "Pipes" (frustrating!)
Eventually(about 15) years later I saved up £70(trade price!) and bought a Korg Chromatic Tuner and this opened up a few avenues as me and the band started to play properly in tune as opposed to nearly in tune.

So called "automatic tuners" are electronic tuners that recognise the strings (usually)E A D G B E  and when you tune a string to that note it will react and tell you when it is  "perfect" because the "needle " is in the middle (or the light is green )
this presents a problem as , unless you can tune the string to,  for example E on your own by ear then you are stuck and the tuner is  useless and you can’t go any further!

A "chromatic tuner" is the thing to use, although not fool proof it is a much better option. It will tell you what the strings is tuned to (at the moment) so that you can then hopefully work out what to do , turn it up or down to get to what you want

The "Robot Tuning" I assume refers to The new Gibson Robot guitar which looks great although a bit of a gimmick but a great idea never the less, the moving tuners/machine heads is a natural extension of the moving/motorised faders that I have on 2 of my mixing desks. Not because I don't know where to put them but just because I use then so much it is nice to re -align them instantly. I would have bought one but there was so many dud ones in the first run that were returned to the factory that not everybody got one!

If you tune the harmonic of the 12th fret to your tuner that is about as good as it is going to get , if it sounds out of tune after that (when you play a chord) it is because firstly your strings are old & knackered but if they are new say less than week old then probably the "intonation" is out as well!

Beginners/Newbies/Noobs whatever
The better the guitar sounds  on its own, the more likely it is to sound good when you start messing around with it so if you  are just starting out then get a chromatic tuner  and  tune your guitar in seconds so that you can then spend the bulk of your time playing it!

Tuners? they are a great idea!
They didn’t go out last night , nor are they in a bad mood today ! Consequently they do the same thing day after day!

it's like putting "surgical spirit" on the ends of your fingers to toughen them up so that you can play for longer,

just don't tell anybody! 

say  " I played it  'till my finger's bled"!"

now what PSi is your "air guitar"

Mark

it's a long way to top if you wanna rock'n'roll

18 (edited by geoaguiar 2008-03-01 03:14:24)

Since I first started playing I've been using an electronic tuner. I bought a pitch pipe 20 years ago but about a week later someone hipped me to the electronic tuner and I bought it (for a lot of money back in the day) and never looked back (I still have it and it still works). I personally have no natural "ear" to speak of (or talent for that matter!) so I can't imagine life without a tuner. Being a bad player AND out of tune is not where I want to be (cue the howling dogs). I've met a few people over the years who are against electronic tuners but most really couldn't tune by ear especially without a known good reference point (at least one string is in tune). These people always frustrated me because as much as they tried most were never in tune even though they "did it without the machine".
I guess I'm against something turning the machines for me but I wouldn't give up my tuner for anything..Heck my Takamine has one built into the pick up (real cool!!!)
There is NOTHING worse than playing with some jackass who thinks he can tune without a tuner and is always out of tune. Makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck. Using a tuner isn't cheating or cheesy it's smart.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

i can tune by ear but i rely on my sabine stx-1100 because i record with a number of instruments and i have to make sure all of them are calibrated to standard pitch

geoaguiar wrote:

Since I first started playing I've been using an electronic tuner. I bought a pitch pipe 20 years ago but about a week later someone hipped me to the electronic tuner and I bought it (for a lot of money back in the day) and never looked back (I still have it and it still works). I personally have no natural "ear" to speak of (or talent for that matter!) so I can't imagine life without a tuner. Being a bad player AND out of tune is not where I want to be (cue the howling dogs). I've met a few people over the years who are against electronic tuners but most really couldn't tune by ear especially without a known good reference point (at least one string is in tune). These people always frustrated me because as much as they tried most were never in tune even though they "did it without the machine".
I guess I'm against something turning the machines for me but I wouldn't give up my tuner for anything..Heck my Takamine has one built into the pick up (real cool!!!)
There is NOTHING worse than playing with some jackass who thinks he can tune without a tuner and is always out of tune. Makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck. Using a tuner isn't cheating or cheesy it's smart.

I like the battery powerd tuners,easy and done in just a few moments.I can tune by ear,or with a piano e too begin with but it takes up alot of time. I do thinkyou should learn how too tune without a batt power tuner.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I have a Korg chromatic tuner...you can set the hertz to whatever you want...what's that all about?  What should it be set to?

Blueblade wrote:

I have a Korg chromatic tuner...you can set the hertz to whatever you want...what's that all about?  What should it be set to?

That is the reference(Calibration) point  so that your tuner can tune  "perfectly" or to "other" things

Concert Pitch stipulates that A = 440hertz and normally that is what you should tune to/set your tuner to  if you want to be in tune with everybody else when you have finished.

However the tuner has the ability to tune ( say 5 cents for example) flat or sharp so that you could use it to tune your instrument in to "the old piano in the corner" which is (say) 5 cents flat!

For example play a note on the "piano" to find that it is 5 cents flat according to your tuner so "calibrate" your tuner so that A now = 435 and then tune your instrument as normal(using the re-calibrated tuner) and then you should be in tune to the old piano! ( a bit flat!)

In practice you will be close but not perfect because  each key on the piano will not be exactly 5 cents flat but you should be close!

I have just returned to the studio since my first post last night to find that  "My First Tuner" was the Korg AT 12 and a mighty beast it was too! I now use the Harley Benton CT10 from Thomann which costs less than £10 and I have 5 of them that I use at the schools that I teach at.

I always impress the importance of tuning to my students when they start out but the easiest and the quickest way to do it unless you are very experienced is to use a tuner  and it can be as cheap as you like , just make sure it says "chromatic" on it!

The quicker you tune up the sooner you are playing!

it's a long way to top if you wanna rock'n'roll

Cool, got it....thanks.

MY GOD!
1 little question and such a discussion.

I NEVER SAW SUCH A LONG ANSWERS ABOUT AN "ITEM".
MOST  = 99% OF THE ANSWERS ARE CORRECT.

MY POINT IS STILL = HOW CAN YOU TUNE A GUITAR IN THE NORMAL TUNING E A G D B E, starting without one string (I 'more excited if a woman wears a string, bu it has to be difficult).

In the "PRE-TUNER" time, putting strings on a guitar, what DID THEY USE? STILL SPEAKING OF THE FOLLOWING E A G D B E standard tuning, when putting brandnew strings?
There are professional piano tuners THAT MUST BE HELL!!!
- MY STATEMENT IS STILL "A GUITAR WITHOUT A STRING, SO YOU NEED TO PLACE ALL YOUR STRINGS IN POSITION AND YOU ARE SOMEWHERE IN THE ROCKIES, TRYING TO PLAY FOR SOME GIRLS" WILL YOU BE ABLE TO HAVE A "PERFECT  E A D G B E"? I don't think so.
I am aware of the fact that you can tune indeed your guitar by ear, I can and most of you can. HOW MANY OF US WILL have the exact chord (Standard tuning)? You can be close, but I'm afraid that this will result in Eb or E#, or your tuning can be, AND THIS IS THE MOST SIMPLE = your guitar will be maybe tuned like this: Ab  Db  Gb  B  Eb  Ab, a second example A D G C E A.
IT ISN'T DIFFICULT like I could read and indeed, you go on a nice trip, you have to take the plane, AND your strings has to be loose or the risk of a head-crack is real. I can live with all your answers, I am able to tune my guitar with my eyes closed, and what if.. your E is an A now: PLAYING IS THE MESSAGE.
I am convinced that the most important "ITEM" = your ear, and that the standard tuning is less important on the condition that your guitar sounds great.
TONE FORK?

It doesnt really matter if u cant tune your guitar to perfect E. As long as it is in tune with itself.
as if some nerdy guy will pop up and tell you that you are flat or sharp.
and if there are more musicians around. you just need to make sure u are in tune with eachother.
who cares u got an ''perfect E''  when the rest of the band is ''in tune'' with eachother. and u pop in with ur ''perfect E''  you're going to have to retune buddy!.

(plus, every single guitarist i know always has a tuner with him...so saying something like : how can u tune without any strings is really irrelevant.)