Topic: A GOAL SONG???????????

Did anyone have a goal song?That is a song you couldn't play but wanted to and practiced untill you got it?
Mine was "Daughters" by John Mayor it took a while but I still remember the first time I played it start to finish with only a few screw ups what a good feeling.
So I just wanted to know what yours were and/or what they are now I havn't realy picked another yet

Re: A GOAL SONG???????????

Mine first goal song was "Atlantic City" by Bruce.  I saw Levon Helm do it at one of his famed Midnight Rambles (just him on his mandolin) and was like Holy Shite, Whoa!  I want to learn how to play that.  I am proud to say that after 6 months  I have achieved my first goal.

My second goal song was "Good Riddance - time of your life" by GreenDay until I heard this delta dripping blues song called "BoxCar Blues" by Kenny Brown (Big Bad Love - soundtrack).  I played it for more teacher yesterday and I look forward to "figuring it out"  I will keep you posted as this will be a voyage into the workd of the slide nad alternate tunings.

P.J.

Acoustic: Yamaha F-310, Washburn WD-32SW

3 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-03-09 20:07:47)

When I first started I wanted to learn "Burn one Down" by Ben Harper  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryLqfNwSSFE That was my goal song I guess... It took me about a year before I could play if correctly. Not too bad considering at the time I couldn't even strum the guitar...lol After that It was "Taylor" by Jack Johnson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0H600En … re=related  I got it down (right) about 2 months ago...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Wish You Were Here.

I know just about everyone with an acoustic plays this song, but I am a long time Pink Floyd fan, and it was an achievement for me. Saw Roger Waters concert last fall, and what a show ...and yes: I truly enjoyed WYWH.

I am slowly picking up on the guitar, not spending enough time to get really good at it, but those who hear me play say I am getting more confident and a better player each time I pick it up.

The song that is my goal now is Patience -- GnR. easy to strum along and singto , but am working at those little fills and riffs.

Hotel California

Still trying to find the right finger pattern for it.

Just play

little wing - Jimi expands on R&B greats like Bobby Womack and Steve Cropper for the backing track.

Kid Charlemagne - Steely Dan.  Great Larry Carlton solo.  Another still in progress.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

stanleyjames wrote:

Wish You Were Here.

I know just about everyone with an acoustic plays this song, but I am a long time Pink Floyd fan, and it was an achievement for me. Saw Roger Waters concert last fall, and what a show ...and yes: I truly enjoyed WYWH.

I am slowly picking up on the guitar, not spending enough time to get really good at it, but those who hear me play say I am getting more confident and a better player each time I pick it up.

The song that is my goal now is Patience -- GnR. easy to strum along and singto , but am working at those little fills and riffs.

Patience by G'n'R I tihnk is quiet easy but see trying to sing it......

I saw Roger also but in Dublin and hopefully going down england this year to see him again. I just wish he would play in scotland.

as for a goal( which is what the topic is about and sorry for nearly highjacking it)

i am trying to remember all the lyrics to "a reason for it all" by eric bogle. the chords are easy enough, and the lyrics should be. I am nearly there though...i think

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

My first goal song when I started playing was The Wind by Cat Stevens.

Right now, my goal song is Ebon Coast by Andy Mckee : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSnWhsmlGec

I think Goal songs are a great way to measure progress and learn patience.

J.

Good question - I have a few:

"Cannonball" by Damian Rice - still my favourite song to play
"Suzanne" by Leonard Cohen - a finger picking pattern I found here
"If you could read my mind "by Gordon Lightfoot - ditto
"Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac - worked for literally years on this one

I would love to be able to do
"Layla" - the unplugged one tabbed here.
"Here comes the sun"- Beatles

..and any one of many songs by the incredible Nick Drake.

Shane

Intro to "Morning Sky".  My fingerpicking has got a long way to go before I can do justice to Dan Fogelberg (RIP) music. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The intros, fills, and solos on Clapton's Unplugged album.  The Old Love solo took a while.  One that I've been working on here and there lately is Cliffs of Dover.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

nice thread!

mine is "space oddity" by David Bowie. I started learning guitar a few months ago because I wanted to play this song so badly.

didn't pick a really easy song...

I'm still struggling with the barred C F G A riff part a bit, but i'm getting near...

Mine is "Hole Hearted" by extreme. I'm finding it to be near impossable. I don't really have the hours in a day to practice like I use to. But I try as much as I can.

Over the Hills and Faraway.  Jimmy Page has almost all of my goal songs.

I still have goal songs.  Right now it's "Come up with a grooving acoustic blues version of "Folsom Prison Blues" and "Big River."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

The first song like this for me was Times Like These by Jack Johnson. The chords were easy, but the strum timing was very tricky, especially once you tried to sing it as well. Once I figured out a strum that worked, it was smooth sailing!

Then, Save Tonight, by Eagle Eye Cherry is one of my favorite songs and again, it's easy to sing, or easy to play, but throw them both together and I just couldn't do it. I went away from it for awhile and one day I went back and tried it again and got through the whole song (there were definitely shaky parts, lol), but I was able to get through it half-decently. It's a good gauge to see how far you've come just by playing and playing and playing.

This is my goal song.... hope to be able to play it after 8-10 years of playing

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zISiQ6PqATI

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Mine was "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams...especially fun on a 12 string!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.