Topic: difference violin vs fiddle mandoline versus mandola....

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN
1) Mandolin and Mandola
2) Mandolin and Banjo
3) Fiddle and Violin
4) MEXICAN GUITAR versus a regular guitar

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by lone-woodwose 2008-06-14 21:17:19)

Re: difference violin vs fiddle mandoline versus mandola....

ummmmmm.......

here is the definition of a mandola according to Mandolin Cafe.

Mandola:

In the US, this term is usually applied to an instrument tuned one fifth below the mandolin, analogous to the viola: c, g, d, a. Europeans would refer to an instrument of this size as mandoliola, mandola in C, or tenor mandola (although this latter is a bit of a misnomer given the instrument's alto range). Some instruments have been made with an added fifth course at high e" to provide a kind of mandolin/mandola hybrid.
so a mandola is to mandolin as viola is to violin.

now the next question. they are two completely different things.

now the last question is one that you could get lots of answers on and whoever answers it swears theirs is the truth.
my answer:
"If you want to play fiddle you play fiddle. If you want to play violin you play violin"
in other words they are the same thing but played different...but sometimes not even that.
they are tuned the same and all, the "hardware" is the same too. its not in the instrument but the player.

if you really want me to i can answer the banjo question in more detail. but i thought that answer was simple enough.
hope this helped

no questions about the Dulcimer? smile

A.

Mandolin>guitar

The difference between a violin and a fiddle is...Nothing! It's the style of music that counts. If you are playing fiddle music you play the fiddle. If you are playing classical music you are playing violin. smile Sorry, can't help you with the others.

I'm a musician; I can [color=blue]Handel[/color] it!

tex54632 wrote:

The difference between a violin and a fiddle is...Nothing! It's the style of music that counts. If you are playing fiddle music you play the fiddle. If you are playing classical music you are playing violin. smile Sorry, can't help you with the others.

I would respectfully disagree! A fiddle is carried in a feed sack or burlap bag...a violin is carried in a case...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

If you go to a performance with violins, you probably should dress up.
If you go to a performance with fiddles, you probably should dress down.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Perhaps I can help with number 4:

La Guitarra Mexicana (Mexican Guitar),  Think Classical... nylon strung in various body volumes and scale lengths. Played with the fingers only as in classical.  I'm thinking that the style of play rather than the instrument itself is the major difference.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Okay so here's what I know:
The mandolin is double strung (two strings tuned to the same note). Its tuned like a fiddle (or violin if you prefer; interesting to note a friend of mine brought us some classical violin books and they sometimes tune it differently than fiddle players).
A banjo is usually tuned to open G and played with fingerpicks. It looks alot different too, you can google them and tell how different they are...
And like doug said, the mexican guitars use nylon strings... you can find them from time to time in pawn shops down here. Kind of cool actually....
Anyway, hope that helps,
LR

All You Need is Love smile

Hi ,
Don't know much about the mandos , but have played and set up lot of fiddles ( or violins ) over the years ... The only difference is the style of music .. Although some fiddlers like their bridge set up a little flatter .. Easier to play three note chords ?? I prefer it the other way . Easier to keep playing after I've had a few ..
L O L .......
   Although I do like the one about the case or the gunny sack .......... L O L .....
                 Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "