Topic: Musical slump or loosing intrest?

Dearest Chordie memebers,
I dont know what my problem is. I've tried listening to different types of music, learning new songs, scales,chords, etc... I just cant seem to write anything worth keeping. Tried jamming with people but either they flake out on me or were just not compatable together. I dont think Im truely loosing intrest but it seems more of a burden then anything. Im I just forcing it and thats why? I guess my question(s) would be have you ever been through this and how the heck do I get my thunder back?  I love to play any type of music or any type of instrument. Im just not feeling it theses days and it worries me.
Thank you ,
                  Selso

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Re: Musical slump or loosing intrest?

Hi selso,I have felt the same way alot of times,I sometimes stop playing etc. for acouple of weeks too a month,but I always come back,I think it may be amusic burnout. A couple of times I was depressed and or had alot of other issues going on. maybe you are having some of these things going on. It always feels great to get back too music.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

You are probably having other issues in your life which are over riding your desire to play guitar.  It happens to all of us from time to time.  Look at other parts of your life and try to become more comfortable with some of them, if there are other problems you are facing.  It is truely a mind thing.  It will come back.  Just keep playing.  Good luck, selso.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I've hit the wall many times myself.
From being letdown by people...to frustration with finding the right combination of pedals to get that "SOUND" I'm longing for...to frustration with learning songs that everyone BUT me seems to know...

But what always brings me back around is grabbing my beat up $20 Yamaha FG-403S and just playing for the love of playing. Acoustic is just so simple and grassroots and uncomplicated. It gets rid of all the unnecessary concerns and brings everything back to being about the music.

By the way...That is where I am at right now for at least the next week...

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Not to spill the beans or nothing but I did just go through a pretty bad divorce. The thing of it is, in the past every time we fought it was at least worth a song or two. Now it's just blah. Thanks for the advice. I guess I just need to get over my self.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Ugh.  Sorry to hear of your divorce.  That is rough.

The music will come back.  It's OK to take a short while to catch your breath and lick your wounds. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi Selso,

I feel your pain with the divorce thing, that sux brother ! Holler at me anytime if you need to get things off your chest. As dark and painful your divorce seems, it would be a good idea to jot down your thoughts/feelings during this difficult time. 1) It's theraputic to write during times of rough, personal ordeals 2) You'll probably get a darn good song(s) from your words/thoughts..

As far a the musical "rut" you're finding yourself in at the moment my advice to you would be this; Don't think about it so much and go see a concert and/or some local live music. That always seems to work for me. Sometimes the people I see are so much better than me that it makes me wanna sell my guitars ( haha) but after my feelings of inadequacy fade then the inspriration sets in and I'm determined to become a better musician !!!!

All the best, hang in there Selso !!! The sun will shine soon......

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Hi Selso, sorry to hear about your divorce. I hope this episode in your life wont hold you back too long. Im sure you will get your mojo back and get back to what you enjoy most, the love of writing and playing music.

cheers

sinkybhoy

Selao sorry, been there done that. It gets better, that may not sound like much, but it does. Take sometime and regroup, you don't even have to make any long term plans. It's a new dawn, it's a new day, it's a new life.
As for the guitar you may want to take a break. I know I tend to plateau out, now and then., and I'm suprised how things work out when I come back to it.

Sorry to hear it, selso.  I have also been there.  In my case it caused me to pick up my guitar again after a lengthy time away from it.  It's good advice to take a break from it for awhile.  And, you now have the stuff for many country songs in your head.  Do as they said, take notes.  Time will heal you and you will be back to it before too long.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Sorry to hear about the divorce and hard times you're going through.  A couple winters ago I went through a period where I hadn't written a song in about 3 months and thought maybe the well had gone dry.  I forced myself to sit down and write a list of things that had made me happy/brought a smile to me in the past. I ended up taking a few items from the list and they each became a verse in a song I wrote.  After that it felt like the flood gates had opened  and I wrote a half-dozen more over the next month.

As far as not listening to music - when I'm in the "writing" mood I never listen to music.  I don't want my songs to be influenced by something I've heard or they might just end up being a caricature of someone else's song. Some of my favorite tunes I've wrote came from turning off the radio while driving on a long trip and just watching the scenery and what's happening around me.

I'm guessing the stimulus which drives each of us to return to playing and writing is different, but given time it will come to you.

Good luck,

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Hi Selso, Sorry to hear about you and the Missus.

Divorces are always rough when kids are involved.  I'm in that age group where all the kids are grown and pretty much on their own, and our friends are splitting up left and right it seems.  Being a product of a "broken" marriage, I will say that children know if all is not "rosey in Mudville".  Too often parents stay together "for the children" and to be honest, my sister and I were much better off emotionally with four happy parents (after both remarried) than we were with two miserable ones.

As for the music issue.... like everyone says here, emotional times tend to spawn good ideas for lyrics.  Write things down as they come to you and after things settle down a bit you just might have a tune or two waiting for fruition.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

At age 39, after playing in barrooms for 24 years, I looked over my tune list and saw nothing but crappy tunes. I got a job delivering mail and never picked up a guitar for three years.
After that time I began to hear some really cool tunes. I decided I would like my friends to enjoy these tunes as much as I did. I began to collect cool tunes and make a songbook of music that only I liked. I swore never to play and sing another song that turned my stomach.
One cannot make much money with that attitude but jump starting a party is easy.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Selso I hope all is going to be well for you, but it will not happen overnight.  You may have to listen (really listen) to some music for a bit to get connected.  Trying to write or just play what was already in your inventory may not be enough to get your mojo.  Just listen to some live music for a short while and try to get the message.  There's lots of people in the biz who can put to music what you're going through.  Hope this helps.  Even if it doesn't you'll do better after a break from the routine.  Good luck!

selso wrote:

Not to spill the beans or nothing but I did just go through a pretty bad divorce. The thing of it is, in the past every time we fought it was at least worth a song or two. Now it's just blah. Thanks for the advice. I guess I just need to get over my self.

Hey man, I can't say that I'm sorry to hear about your divorce. If it wasn't working out, it probably wasn't meant to be. I know you probably can't see that or think about it now...but later on you will look back and realize you made the best decision. Now you can focus on you and what makes you happy in life. Don't worry too much about playing perfectly right now...it will come back when you're not so distracted by the other events in your life. The music will always be there (unlike people) waiting for you with open arms.

Be safe and talk to God some (If you're a believer)...He really can change things!

God bless,
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

don't know how much help this will be but I have gone thru three divorces had to pay child support till I was 62 the song looking for love in all the wrong places rings true but I can add for all the wrong reasons on the rebound is one I put my music on hold for over a year there were a lot of reasons it seems when I first started playing before an audience in the early 60's I got used to the attention and admiration of the people who came to hear the band especially the women and I used this "celebrity" status to fatten my ego and lost site of the reason I started playing,the music I wanted to be a" star" but I was always one step behind because I was content to copy and mimic other artist this was fine as it earned me a living for over 40 yrs. but it wasn't till I left this life that I found the creative side now I'm content to write and plays songs I used to dismiss as corny even tho I liked them there will be times when ideas don't come for months then the flood gates open music is a blessing and the best things you will play or write will come from the heart and has been mentioned an old acoustic is your best friend and it don't matter what you play on it just think back to the reasons you wanted to take all the time and effort to learn to play in the first place its still there the love and enjoyment of music there can be no other reason take care this is a blessing cherish it smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Well, Russell I have to give you the prize for the longest sentence and three divorces.  Them women just don't know when they have a good thing.  What I didn't mention in my previous post about my divorce and the fact that it made me pick up the guitar again and practice that much harder to get away from the pain. When we split up, or when I was kicked out, I should say, she kept my guitar out of spite, so I went immediately and bought me a $150.00 Ibanez.  She got most of my money back then too.  Everyone hang in there.  It always gets better.

Selso

I'm no good on matters of the heart but my advice on the guitar and musical slumps is strip it back to basics. Remember the things that got you started or the things which you know best and concentrate on those.  Put everything else aside and take it easy for a while.

Selso... I hadn't even read this before I commented on facebook about your post sounding like song lyrics... so, there's something there for certain.

I'm sorry to hear you're going through a rough time in your life... life can really suck sometimes.  If it were me going through this yuck and guitar slump I would set the guitar aside, put on some earphones and blare some music that I enjoy listening to.  One day soon you'll grab the guitar and start playing a bit and next thing you know you won't be able to stop.  Find a popular song that speaks to you... makes you cry, or makes you mad, or just MOVES you in SOME way and you'll find a desire to want to learn it.  Best wishes my friend!

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hey Selso,   Also sorry to hear you are having a rough time. In my opinion--just a slump. You are
        are going to jump back into the swing of things once your mind settles from thinking so much
         of recent events. Listening to music, playing guitar, writing, is in your blood. We all go through
         these periods and rebound. There's been other posts on chordie on this subject so don't feel
         alone. Let us know when your creativity lights a fire under your........lol                 Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Hi Selso, my wishes for you echo all the others posted here.  FWIW, I have never been thru a divorce, but, I've had some pretty bad times scattered throughout my 55 years of existence and what got me thru all of them was my natural stubborness, and love of music and nature.  Taking a hike with a tune that I loved running thru my head was great therapy.

I call my guitar lessons the best form of therapy that I have ever done.  You'll get the feeling back eventually, just don't push it.  Take your time and make sure you give yourself some serious "me" time and do the things you love and treasure to feel better.

Good luck!  We're pulling for you!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

selso wrote:

I've gone through the agony of divorce, too. You may be suffering from clinical depression (losing interest in something you once loved to do is a classic sign), so if the blah doesn't go away, you might want talk to a psychiarist or doctor about how you're feeling. Also, I was thinking that maybe one reason you can't turn this divorce pain into a song is that in the past, when you were married and had a fight, there was hope that things would get better, and so writing about it was easier. If I was in your shoes, and had the money to splurg, I go and buy a really great guitar, one that you were planning to buy "someday." Nothing like a NGD to lift one's spirits.

Detman101 wrote:

Hey man, I can't say that I'm sorry to hear about your divorce. If it wasn't working out, it probably wasn't meant to be. I know you probably can't see that or think about it now...but later on you will look back and realize you made the best decision.

You're probably right about the idea of ending a marriage if it's not working, but if you're the one being divorced it's hard to believe in such an idea. I've lost so much because of my wife's decision to divorce, including the woman I loved, my job, my savings, and my health.  Some really wonderful things are going to have to happen before I'll be able to look back and realize any of this was for the good. On the other hand, my ex-wife seems really happy now.

Artless wrote:

my ex-wife seems really happy now.

Not meaning to be callous to your situation, for which I am truly sorry for you, but that sentence right there has a song in it.  Write that down in your hook book. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

25 (edited by Detman101 2010-11-29 14:51:00)

Artless wrote:
Detman101 wrote:

Hey man, I can't say that I'm sorry to hear about your divorce. If it wasn't working out, it probably wasn't meant to be. I know you probably can't see that or think about it now...but later on you will look back and realize you made the best decision.

You're probably right about the idea of ending a marriage if it's not working, but if you're the one being divorced it's hard to believe in such an idea. I've lost so much because of my wife's decision to divorce, including the woman I loved, my job, my savings, and my health.  Some really wonderful things are going to have to happen before I'll be able to look back and realize any of this was for the good.

Divorce...and our slack-sided justice system...are made for women.
(Good) Men do not usually benefit from divorce or even break even when it's an amicable split and both parties just want to go their separate ways. Somehow...the law steps in and fudges it all up. I told my wife, I'm only doing this ONE time in my lifetime and there isn't going to be anyone BUT her in my life. She can take it how she wants to take it but I'm not ever dating or marrying again if she dies or leaves me for some odd reason. It's just not worth the hassle of getting to know someone again and spending all that time all over again...ugh.

I've lost so much because of my wife's decision to divorce, including the woman I loved, my job, my savings, and my health.  Some really wonderful things are going to have to happen before I'll be able to look back and realize any of this was for the good.

The same thing happened to my cousin. He lost everything when he and his wife split. and it's not like he had much to begin with.
But sure as sin..the courts gave her everything. Luckily his house and harley were transferred into his mother's name long before the split happened.
I tell my wife all the time...being married to me is like the mafia. Only way out is blood or witness protection.
If it's ever my turn you can put Jail or death by cop onto the end of my list.

On the other hand, my ex-wife seems really happy now.

Yeah, that justice system again...and the fact that there are way more easy opportunities to have a hole filled (if you know what I mean) than there are for a man to put the wrecked aftermath of their life back together and have people understand or be sympathetic. It seems when this happens to a man, that's when the whole world caves in and decides to take it's lumps. The job decides to fire you because you're not performing the way you used to, the car decides to blow an engine or transmission, all those little symptoms you've been feeling over the years decide to mestastasize into full blown sicknesses and your relatives all get REAL busy and can't find the time or opportunity to help you.
Life...it really sucks sometimes.

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle