Topic: Guitar Center and Inferior Acoustics

I'm a realtively new player, who has enjoyed going to Guitar Center during the past half-year to try out higher end guitars in their acoustic room. On more than one occassion, however, I've come across new $2,000 + Taylor, Martins, and now a Gibson Songwriter with obvious flaws. The Gibson, for example, had a long shallow gouge about 1/8 of an inch wide and 6" long on the top. It must have occurred in the factor, because it was covered over by lacquer and the lacquer showed no sign of being redone. Also, there were serious cracks in the lacquer at the bottom of the body, and at least one crack that seemed to go down into the top. Like I said, I've noticed problems like this on other expensive acoustics.  Do these companies make it habit to ship flawed products to Guitar Center?

2 (edited by zguitar 2010-11-29 04:45:38)

Re: Guitar Center and Inferior Acoustics

I would say that this damage is caused by customers. There are so many people that get there hands on these things that stuff is bound to happen. If it's not theirs, they don't care. At those prices I don't think they would leave the factory that way. Unless they come out as factory blems. This I don't know. I don't imagine that the high-enders fly off the racks, so the longer they are in store the more of a chance to get damaged.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

In any production run you will encounter "blems".  However, they will usually be graded as such in the final inspection and sold as such with deep discounting.  I say that with the gouge in mind however..... as for the finish cracking, it might be just that the environment they were transported in or stored was not stable enough and those defects developed after GC had purchased them.

There is no way of knowing for sure without getting the serial numbers and checking with the factory.  Anything sent out as "seconds" would have records to support them.

Good catch though, and another reason it is always best to get your paws on any instrument that you are thinking of buying before you lay your hard earned $$ down.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

GC is nice for checking out various guitars.  But for this reason, regardless of the cause, and also having the support of a local company if anything ever goes wrong with the guitar (as it often does with high end guitars), it's best to buy local if you can.  In my case, I went to GC to check out a bunch of models, but every model in their high-end acoustic room that was within my price range was also on the shelf at my local shop at much better prices AND came with the support of the good people that run it.  They also threw in new strings of my choice, a strap, a hard case, and a couple sample bags of guitar care goodies. 

I like GC, but you owe it to yourself to check out some local shops too if they are around.  I don't think you'll be finding new instruments with deep gouges and cracks at one of them. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I've always had a problem with the way Guitar Center just lets kids and others just grab stuff off the hangers and start abusing and playing... I've seen teens sitting on the floor with high end guitars using quarters for picks. Seems that they should keep the "High" end stuff out of reach and then supervise or let people take the instruments into a sound room to play. I picked up an expensive Mandolin at Guitar Center and found out that it was actually split lengthways across the top. Most experienced players can pick up an instrument, look it over, and then play a few chords to check it out. Not really any need to sit and Jam with a bunch of others in the store. At Guitar Center we see them walk in, grab a guitar and plug into an amp and turn it way up and just "whang away" for seemingly hours! I can't stand it!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hi there folks,just passing this along.I live in a small town in upper ca.(that's as close as i'm gonna get).One of the music shops in town will meet the price that one would find on line.Another music store in the adjoining town has a very similar approach.This of course is usually limited to the brands that they normally handle(which are major brands)And they both give excellant face to face,personal service.I have bought both ways (local on on line).They are all aware of the competition out there.You might ask if the price on the tag is etched in stone.

kuvash

jaygordon75 wrote:

I've always had a problem with the way Guitar Center just lets kids and others just grab stuff off the hangers and start abusing and playing... I've seen teens sitting on the floor with high end guitars using quarters for picks. Seems that they should keep the "High" end stuff out of reach and then supervise or let people take the instruments into a sound room to play. I picked up an expensive Mandolin at Guitar Center and found out that it was actually split lengthways across the top. Most experienced players can pick up an instrument, look it over, and then play a few chords to check it out. Not really any need to sit and Jam with a bunch of others in the store. At Guitar Center we see them walk in, grab a guitar and plug into an amp and turn it way up and just "whang away" for seemingly hours! I can't stand it!

I can see your point. in every type of situation there are always people that will screw it all for all the rest of us. but I am one of those experianced players who enjoys hanging out at a guitar store sometimes for an hour or two and just sampling out all the diferent guitars. I am always respectful and extremely careful with any thing I touch. I have always figured that if a potential customer (novis or someone who wants to learn) sees someone playing that it may influence a sale. it would suck having some sales person looking over my shoulder the whole time and not being able to sample what I like

what a long strange trip it's been

I have the same feelings about the people messing it up,but they enable that kind of playing, what bothers me most is seeing a salesperson selling an insterment to people who do not know much and they overcharge them,and also selling to people who should not buy a high end guitar untill they know they are going to stick with it. They have a price leway,I have never paid the asking price!!,if they do not agree with my price I tell them I will get it elsewhere,and that works.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Note that Martin does not distribute seconds or blems. I went through their factory in Pennsylvania and if any problems get to the final stages they destroy the guitar. I don't know if Taylor or Gibson have the same policy. If you found a Martin with those described problems it must have been caused in the store.

On a recent tour of the Gibson facility in Memphis where they make their semi acoustic range (ES) it was pointed out that they stopped their practice of discounting less than perfect product (seconds) many years ago and simply put the bandsaw through anything in that category. I understand that the same goes for their acoustic instruments(Montana) and everything else (Nashville)
That said I have a 1978 ES335 marked (2)--I've spent 30 years looking for any defect!!