26 (edited by selso 2010-11-29 21:34:29)

Re: Musical slump or loosing intrest?

I pretty much lost everything, from the car to the house, to friends. You name it, she got it. Even had to sell most of my music equipment. Im not really bitter, well yes I am. I never wanted to be a weekend dad. Thats what gets me the most. I love my kids.  Anyway, slow and steady wins the race. I always complained I never had time to my self, now I got all can handle. Better make the most of it rather than sit around feeling sorry for myself. Russell's cd came in today so thats giving me something to listen to and learn. Trying not look in the songwriting section. Trying to get it by ear. Makes it more exciting for me. Thanx for all the support. I knew I'd always love this site for a reason. Again thanx guys(and girl).

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Keep your head up man.
That freedom you have now...I agree that you should make the most of it. I'm sorry to hear about your situation with the kids but they will understand when they're older. Thanks for sharing your plight with us here, it's helped me to take a better second look at my own situation.
When you get your finances back in order, go out and listen to some free live music. Heck, if there are any local venues that have live music, go give it a listen. Everytime I go away on business (My only ME-TIME) I try to go out and listen to live music, be it jazz, blues, indie or just amateur night at some place. It's always therapeutic to sit back and get taught by someone showing the way live right in front of you. 
I don't know if you're a believer, but I am and I'll be sending some prayers up on your behalf. Some things...we have to tolerate because we are in this world for the time being.
The rest, God can fix.

Good luck and God bless,
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:

Keep your head up man.
That freedom you have now...I agree that you should make the most of it. I'm sorry to hear about your situation with the kids but they will understand when they're older. Thanks for sharing your plight with us here, it's helped me to take a better second look at my own situation.
When you get your finances back in order, go out and listen to some free live music. Heck, if there are any local venues that have live music, go give it a listen. Everytime I go away on business (My only ME-TIME) I try to go out and listen to live music, be it jazz, blues, indie or just amateur night at some place. It's always therapeutic to sit back and get taught by someone showing the way live right in front of you. 
I don't know if you're a believer, but I am and I'll be sending some prayers up on your behalf. Some things...we have to tolerate because we are in this world for the time being.
The rest, God can fix.

Good luck and God bless,
Dm

Thanx man

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Hang in there Selso..you know it will get better with some time. Some great advise up above. smile All I can add is don't do what I did and shut yourself out from your friends and family cause it'll hurt even more down the road.
Take care Selso smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hi selso,sorry to hear it happended to you,it is a fifty fifty chance these days,it happened to me also. I got some advice from some people and the best was to keep total focus on the children and don't get them into any disagrements and put them first. I also only thought of the bad times and things I did not like about her,that helped me get over it faster.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Zurf wrote:
Artless wrote:

my ex-wife seems really happy now.

Not meaning to be callous to your situation, for which I am truly sorry for you, but that sentence right there has a song in it.  Write that down in your hook book. 

- Zurf

Thanks for the idea Zurf!  That's one thing about music: you can take the joy and pain and happiness and love and hate of life and turn it into art. Sometimes it's bad art, but you're still doing something with all that experience that most other people just have to carry around.

Lost a husband through divorce...............was a high school love.   Was suppose to grow old together..   Hurt deeply.
Lost a second husband through death......was the joy of my life and made my first marriage pale in comparison.   Still reeling, but as time goes by, I discovered a few things.   3 words sum it up.    'Life goes on'.    As much as my life stood still, no one else's did.   The people who were responsible for his death, still have happy holidays, celebrate anniversaries and see their family and friends.   

I have to make a choice everyday when I wake up, deciding what I am going to focus on.   It is a retraining of the mind to not be in deep grief, not to hate, not to dwell on the events/details and why people  purposely hurt other people.   None of these things matter to other people, except the ones who watch you die a little everyday, wishing they could take the hurt away.

Once I got over being mad at God, He keeps me strong and on those days that I don't think I wanna participate anymore, somehow, I do.   I gave up music because it hurt too much to hear and sing songs that were 'our' songs.    I walk out of a room when someone does a song that takes me to a place I can't handle.   That's why I began learning to play guitar, it's a direction (new memory) that I am creating that is independent of 'our' life.  It helps me keep my brain from overworking on the bad thoughts and forces it to learn new things.

Life goes on and if you can somehow figure out that no matter what happens, life goes on and someday, somehow, somewhere, you will see that those who care.......matter.   If not for you, but for your kids.   You set the example on how to deal with your grief.  They are learning from you, watching you, picking up on your vibe you send out.   

So you decide, what kind of example are you going to be for them.    The best you can be for them is the best they will be when 'life sucks' for them.
You will be the rock they lean on in their core beliefs.

It takes a while, not saying you will 'get over it', but you can change or decide "do I live in the past or do I create new and different memories".   I have to make the choice everyday.   I have great friends and family.   No judgment or lectures on their part, they let me be me, no matter how I am.  We accept tears as a cleansing process and relish the smiles for what we still have.   

Life is short and there is no do over.   Fill it with as much love and true life for you.   Your kids depend on you for guidance.  Which way are you going to lead them.

Hope this wasn't too much, I just felt the need and it was a refresher course for me as much as exposing my feelings on the matter of the heart.  smile

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Sounds like you've learned from experience, gabby.  Well said.  And I think your equation for getting better is right on.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

Sounds like you've learned from experience, gabby.  Well said.  And I think your equation for getting better is right on.

Thanks besonp, life can be hard stuff and it isn't an easy road to climb out of the depths of despair and I don't know how others do it without Christ in their life.   I know that I'm not the only one hurting or experiencing it, and it is only right to pass on what I've learned if it helps.

Ok, so back to the topic of musical slump or losing interest............lol     jk

Hang in there selso, you will find your music again.  Play for someone who loves to hear you play and sing, trust me, it does wonders for the ego...;)

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

Artless wrote:
selso wrote:

Not to spill the beans or nothing but I did just go through a pretty bad divorce. The thing of it is, in the past every time we fought it was at least worth a song or two. Now it's just blah. Thanks for the advice. I guess I just need to get over my self.

I've gone through the agony of divorce, too. You may be suffering from clinical depression (losing interest in something you once loved to do is a classic sign), so if the blah doesn't go away, you might want talk to a psychiarist or doctor about how you're feeling. Also, I was thinking that maybe one reason you can't turn this divorce pain into a song is that in the past, when you were married and had a fight, there was hope that things would get better, and so writing about it was easier. If I was in your shoes, and had the money to splurg, I go and buy a really great guitar, one that you were planning to buy "someday." Nothing like a NGD to lift one's spirits.

there,s a little song out there called " i going to sell the bitches car and buy me a cool guitar." keep ur chin up and write about it.  dragonfiveseven