Re: Tequila and Jack

I recently found out that my mother has written 3 songs over the last few months. Her cousin has put them to music. I am hoping the songwriting gene has been passed to me. I was never much of a writer, although I do remember a poem I wrote for my wife that may be able to be rearranged to a song. I wrote it for her a LONG time ago and then transposed it for her in Calligraphy. I would like her to pull it out some time to see if I can rearrange it to a song.

i am gonna try this now.

caromshot wrote:

I recently found out that my mother has written 3 songs over the last few months. Her cousin has put them to music. I am hoping the songwriting gene has been passed to me. I was never much of a writer, although I do remember a poem I wrote for my wife that may be able to be rearranged to a song. I wrote it for her a LONG time ago and then transposed it for her in Calligraphy. I would like her to pull it out some time to see if I can rearrange it to a song.

I'll bet if you ask her to pull it out and tell her why, she'll be more than happy to.  Just do it!  It sure is an awesome feeling for yourself as well as the one you write it for.  I've played this a few times in front of a group of people and it seems to get really good reviews.  I played it the weekend before last at our local bar when I got a phone call to come down with my guitar because there was an older fella in there with his guitar.  The bar got quiet, a few started tapping along to the beat on the bar, and everyone clapped and a few asked "Who wrote THAT song?  I LIKE THAT!"  My HUSBAND's grin was beaming as I told everyone that I did and that it was for HIM.  (come to find out the fella in there who couldn't say enough nice things about my cheap-o laminate top guitar and my playing had toured in the good ole days with a few popular Nashville bands also!).  I think my husband is just as proud of the "ownership" of this song as I am. 

Get to work!  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hi Amy, smile

I had listened to this when you first posted the recording and really enjoyed it. I still do. You have a great voice that fits your song perfect. Kudos. I also wanted to apologies for not commenting as I was in a pretty dark place then.  Anywho congrats on a great collab with Russ. Also congrats on getting on Country Rose's show. How's that going for you? Good I hope. smile

Merry Christmas to you and the Family

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I just had a visit with my parents. They came over on Christmas Eve and my Dad and I played for a couple hours together. I definitely play better with someone else as I don't have to concentrate too much on the strum patterns as I just follow along with whatever he is doing. I didn't do much singing as my throat was a little scratchy, but I piped in on a couple songs. We played some Browns and Keith Whitley. We also played my mother's 3 songs. I had played one of them which is titled Forgive Me Lord, the other 2 were not put to music the last time I visited with them, but had heard the music was written for them since then. One of them is called My Dad, written about my Grandfather.  The third is Thy Will Be Done. She seems to have a knack for writing hymn type songs. I haven't asked my wife to pull that poem out yet, but we have been trying to get our house ready for our adoption (we are still in the process of being certified). I titled the poem, The Pot of Gold. I cannot remember the words and wrote it very early in our relationship when Computers were still a bit of a luxury, so I do not have an electronic copy. I will get to it eventually. I am hoping that I get the writers gene, and currently think it is more of a confidence issue right now.

I was impressed that you played in a bar. I hope to get to that point someday. I need to get quite a bit better and put a little more time in to my playing before that day though. I am looking for a more "normal" job that will allow me to work 9-5 M-F, which will give me time to work out AND practice more. Wish me luck!

Thanks Kenny!  Since I started working, I haven't had much time to really push anything ... in fact, I haven't even checked out my soundclick stats in a few months.  It was really exciting though to hear my song on someone's list!

Caromshot... good for you!  It's GREAT to play with others, and tricky too!  The "bar session" was nothing more than a bunch of folks sitting around having some drinks and playing a few... so it wasn't anything too exciting, yet it was at the same time!  smile  My son bought me a "Songwriter's rhyming dictionary" for Christmas, I guess I need to sit down now and try to write another!!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Good luck on "writing another", I am sure it wil come out great.

That's very much like Loretta Lynn (no kidding). The recording sounded like there was a slide guitar feel and let me tell ya I love the Slide. And I could chill with it for sure. Awesome to hear it.                                                                                                                                    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.           

Casper Red.