Re: "F" chord is now outlawed

I cheat and hook my thumb over instead of barring, ive never had a problem that way.

ozymandias wrote:

Alas, I am undone, the siren call of the B chord and it's siblings B7 and Bm are too enticing.  Their call reaches into the depths of my soul.

B7 and Bm are harmless imitations of their father.  Mere wannabes.  Ominous sounding, but of no greater concern than A7sus4.  It's B itself that is rotten to the core.  With B7, its mother D has given it some mercy.  And Bm has learned some compassion from its cousin F#m (who used to be a full F and then caused itself to become easier to play out of its long-held compassion).  No.  B7 and Bm are no cause for concern or alarm.  But B - one shudder to thinks of what one must face when he sets down the road towards mutation.  Good luck!  Good luck to you, dear friend.  The horrors and nightmares are only just begun.  But someday.... yes someday, you will be able to pick up a Russell Harding tune from the Songwriter forum and play it correctly.  And then you will be hailed by all us unmutated mortals. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thank you, I travel down the road of Mutantism with head held high and a bunch of Beatles tunes and O'Carolan tunes to master!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

hey everyone im new here. this is what i do for the F chord well the beginner one i use all four of my fingers it hurts my wrist but it works alittle

VEGAN MUFFINS

Hello all!

ozymandias: my parents live in the Farmington area. Dad recently found a music store, I think in Augusta. He purchased a Fender CD140S, I think. Theya re in town to celebrate my 40th B-day. He brought his guitar with him. I went up to see them at my sister's house and actually strummed the chords that I know and I liked the way it sounded. I also liked the thinner neck. I am thinking about turning in my Esteban Guitar (ok stop cringing, I know. I know)

Roger: I intend to pop inhere from time to time. The song my dad introduced me to was Yes, Jesus Loves Me. It was the first song he played in front of an audience other than family. (Ok so it was kids at Vacation Bible School, but it was a big step for him). I am making progress. It actually somewhat sounds like the song (a vast improvement I must say)

Mekidsmom: I never intended on giving up. Let's just say I have a bit of a confidence problem, and I just had to build it up again to get the drive back. I also got it stuck in my head that face to face lessons were the only thing that would help. I am glad I was wrong. I have been in love with the guitar for a LONG time. I will get it. I know it will take time. I wasn't noticing any improvement before and that got discouraging. Now I have a plan in effect and am implementing it.

Thanks again all for your support!

I wondered about the quality of those Esteban Guitars everytime I see the HSN show that he promotes it on.  Keep it, you might need a spare quitar to bang around on or practice on. 

FArmington is a fur piece of drivin' for me.  I live in Fryeburg, on the Maine/NH border right next to Conway.   There's a decent music shop up in North Conway, but I prefer to do most of my acoustic guitar shopping business at The Vintage Fret Shop in Ashland NH.  And in Westbrook Maine I found a general type music shop that does have all sorts of instruments, mostly electric guitars and rock band type.

Welcome to chordie, I don't get here as much as I'd like to, but, it's nice to have on my computer for help and advice.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I don't see what's the problem with 'F' chord. I use the barre chord and the only problem i ever had was maintaining the pressure, but that goes away as your fingers strengthen. just keep on practicing!

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

83 (edited by Stratplayer 2011-04-23 15:29:31)

The trick to playing the F chord is in the wrist. You need to drop your wrist to make your fingers more level with the fretboard. When you play, notice the position of your wrist, if your wrist is closer to you it makes harder to play certain chords. If you drop it so that your wrist is below the fretboard it makes it easier. Hope this helps, it works for me

Guess I am a mutant,I practiced the dreded F and B for along time too get them right. Otherwise I would not be able too play about half the songs I like.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The song I learned to help me get the F chord down is Pink Floyd's Mother. The chorus, for those of you who don't know is: C,F,C, F...

The change is hard at first but I learned to do the C with my middle, ring and pinky finger. This allowed me to slide, adjust and put the index finger down in a manner that, while not perfect, actually adds a good tone to the change if you strum from the bottom up. I am still not perfect but I am getting better every time.

Also: Try forming your E, Am and C chords with your middle, ring and pinky fingers only. This helps set you up nicely for the barre change.

Just saying...

In almost 30 years of playing I still cant master barre chords.I too use the Fmaj7 in place of an F.It takes a few minutes but try to find the proper substitute chord.My chordie printouts have all kinds of crossouts and different chords written in.Some call it cheating but  it works.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I started learning the Guitar when I was about 10 years old....I'll be 69 in a few days and I think I just about got it.........LOL......MemphisBluesMan.......AKA,,,Bill D

Hi Bill and welcome to Chordie,

I see you have been a lurker for a while so I am pleased you have now decided to join in.

I am only a few years younger than you and I started at 11 years old so I cannot remember when I first started playing F, admittedly it was only a 4 string version to start with, but I have been barring it for many years now and I am comfortable with it even on my 12er.

For you guys and gals that are having problems the only way is the usual way, practice, practice and then some more practice.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

steve j wrote:

...the "folk F" ...

Never heard it called that. I've heard it called "that folkin' thing" alright.

Some people do it by just using a normal open F chord, but they hook their thumb over the low E string to give it a more 'folky' sound.

One thing I don't see mentioned is how you are holding your guitar. If sitting hold the neck higher as this will ease the angle of the wrist. If standing and using a strap get that guitar higher on your chest and keep the neck slightly elevated. It's very hard to master chords while standing if the guitar hanging below your belt.
\

Nela

I first picked up a (friends) guitar in 1956 whenI was in Germany with the Royal Air Force. He could only play in the key of 'C' - C, F G7. It was no bother mastering 'F'. From the 'C' chord it was just a matter of lowering my fingers on to the next string below (ie-towards the 1st string) , and covering the 'B'(2nd)and 'E' (1st) strings with my index finger. I later found it easier using the barre version - I barre most chords. It is easy to play in most keys, using the barre.
    The 'E' chords (E, E7, Em, Em7) and the 'A' chords (A, A7, Am, Am7), played in the 1st and 2nd frets, are moveable chord shapes and are the basic shapes of barre chords.
     For 'F'major, the fore finger is laid on the 1st fret, and the middle finger on 3rd (G) string 2nd fret. The ring and 'pinkie' fingers are placed on the 5th (A) and 4th (D) strings (respectively) on the 3rd fret.    For 'F7', remove 'pinkie' from string. If so desired, the pinkie can be placed on the 3rd ('G') string 4th fret, tho this might prove to be a wee bit awkward.
     From the barre 'F' major position,  for 'F' minor, replace 'pinkie' and remove middle finger from the string. From this position,lifting pinkie from string will give 'Fm7'
       From the barre 'F' major position,  lower the three fingers (middle, ring, and pinkie) to the next string below their current positions. This will give 'Bb minor' Lifting the pinkie will give 'Bbminor7'. Placing the pinkie on the same string as the middle finger but on the 3rd fret (it is easier not lifting the ring finger off ) will give 'Bb7'. -  Sliding the original 'Bb minor shape' up one fret will give the so called problem 'Bm' chord.
     The name of  major barre chord is taken from the note being played by the index finger ( the barre)on the 6th string. It may be worth pointing out, that barring the the first fret, and placing the three fingers on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings on thew 3rd fret, will give 'Bb major', tho it's a wee bit awkward at first.
                    1st fret barre upper position = 'F'  chords.  ------   1st fret barre Lower position = 'Bb' chords
                    3rd fret barre upper position = 'G'  chords  ------   3rd fret barre Lower position = ' C ' chords
                    5th fret barre upper position = 'A'  chords  ------   5th fret barre Lower position = ' D ' chords
                    6th fret barre upper position = 'Bb'chords  ------   6th fret barre Lower position  = 'Eb' chords
                    8th fret barre upper position = 'C ' chords ------    8th fret barre Lower position  = ' F ' chords - etcetera

You may have noticed that the 'lower' chords have taken their name from the 2nd chord in the '1-4-5' chord rule.

Welcome to Chordie Pat.  That's a pretty incredible first post right there. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi there 'Zurf'. Thanks for the comment. I was unable to log on for a week due to my user name and password not being accepted. Tried new passwords and other accounts to no avail. A fellow player came along last night and sorted it. Since '56, I've not really progressed past rhythm playing, but still enjoy what I do. Playing for enjoyment is what it's all about - if you don't enjoy it- pack it in!! We have a monthly open session in the Whistlefield Hotel, near 'Holy Loch' (Argyllshire) near where the U.S. Navy had their Submarine Base for 30 years We play mainly Scottish music, and amusing Glasgow songs. I prefer playing Sinatra, Martin etc. (remember I'm 74 !!!) but can turn my hand to most. As President of the local 'Senior Citz Club' I play and sing a lot for them and other groups. The voice still not bad.They seem to enjoy it . Probably because half of them are deaf!!! Hey, take care . Pat

what's so hard about F?  I don't get it. It only takes 3 fingers to play it. What's the big deal?

Now available in 5G !

tandm3 wrote:

what's so hard about F?  I don't get it. It only takes 3 fingers to play it. What's the big deal?

I totally agree with you

I assume you mean the 4 string 'F' XX3211 which is relatively easy, but even so, many beginners find it difficult to flatten the first finger over two strings and will often play an 'Fmaj7' XX3210.

It creates even more problems playing the full barred 'F' 133211 so I normally introduce a 5 string 'F' x33211 first.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

hahaha, I agree, outlaw the F and the B

99 (edited by Phill Williams 2011-07-08 15:57:43)

i only use two fingers to play "F". just play the "A" shape chord on the 8th frett, but lay the 3rd finger across the D,G AND B strings, also used for the dreaded B chord and all the others up the arm. it's simple when you've mastered it. i've been using it for over 40 years now, just avoid dubbing the bottom E (6th string).

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I used to hate trying the dreaded F and now it's just clicked while trying to learn some of the great mutant Jack Johnsons songs. Now I love it!

"just keep strumming, just keep strumming, just keep strumming, strummming, strummming"