Topic: "copyrights"?

New to this site and just wondering:

Isn't anyone worried that someone will steal their songs?

Music is what feelings sound like.  ~Author Unknown
#FTLOM

Re: "copyrights"?

Hey Jaycee,
Nope. Anything I have posted here has already been played publicly (usually local coffee house) and people are aware of when I wrote the song. Anyway, the way I see it,  only good things can come out of collaboration. If I can supply a germ of an idea that someone else can use and improve upon then I celebrate my contribution. Besides, I compose and play primarily for "me" and most definitely not for money or fame. I just enjoy making music and telling my story. If other people enjoy my music or identify with  my lyrics then I feel validated and grateful.  If not, "c'est la vie". wink  Hope that didn't come out overly pompous!! haha!

There's nothing right in my left brain and there's nothing left in my right brain.
author unknown

jayceelynn16 wrote:

New to this site and just wondering:

Isn't anyone worried that someone will steal their songs?

I'm not worried never crossed my mind all my compositions are free to download copy or alter a couple have been.
I guess if a person is worried as to the copyright of their song then don't put it up in an open forum or any internet song sites.
ark

Thanks for all the replies! Curiosity put to rest. smile

Music is what feelings sound like.  ~Author Unknown
#FTLOM

Per the Copyright Act of 1976, a song is automatically copyrighted after composition and "fixed in any tangible medium of expression" which can include paper, computer file, etc.You can chose to register your copyright with the govt, which helps prove copyright ownership in a court case but is not mandatory, as other means such as witnesses, etc can be used.

Of the dozens of songs I've written, I've recorded about 50 on CDs and given away to friends.  I doubt that anyone would ever want to record any of my songs but if some tone-deaf recording artist thinks one of my songs is worth stealing I've got quite a few people that have heard them on my CDs, at open mics or around riverside campfires as witnesses.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:

Per the Copyright Act of 1976, a song is automatically copyrighted after composition and "fixed in any tangible medium of expression" which can include paper, computer file, etc.You can chose to register your copyright with the govt, which helps prove copyright ownership in a court case but is not mandatory, as other means such as witnesses, etc can be used.

Of the dozens of songs I've written, I've recorded about 50 on CDs and given away to friends.  I doubt that anyone would ever want to record any of my songs but if some tone-deaf recording artist thinks one of my songs is worth stealing I've got quite a few people that have heard them on my CDs, at open mics or around riverside campfires as witnesses.

DE

I think you could make money with "Pistol Don" and some others. JMO

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

If people were too paranoid about their songs being 'stolen' no artist could ever release a song as the lyrics can be heard and transcribed and it is a simple matter to break down the chord structure. Chordie website is a great example of this and is a valuable tool for all aspiring artists to begin their magical journey. While peole can take your lyrics and melodies they cannot take ownership of your song. If an artist stumbles across a song of yours and records it, turning into a hit then you should be delighted as the song itself still belongs to you and as such you would be entitled to 50% of the royalties the recording generates. Its a win win situation .

Allan.

As always I hope you enjoy my musical journey as much as I do.

deadstring wrote:
Dirty Ed wrote:

DE

I think you could make money with "Pistol Don" and some others. JMO

Thanks dead string, that's mighty kind of you to say.   Glad you enjoy some of my songs.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs