Topic: Singing and playing at the same time? Like but can't do!

Maybe its just me, but singing and playing at the same time seems a lot harder than it looks. Is it just me, or is there some kind of trick behind it that no one's bothered to tell me?

The Nightwish devil child. Say hi and be nice. I don't bite . . . maybe?

Re: Singing and playing at the same time? Like but can't do!

It is not easy at first. It is something you have to get used to.  Here is a good start to understanding how to do it.  If you look up playing and singing on YouTube, you will find many videos on the subject.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFd_QijjRlg

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Like everything else with the instrument:  go slow, and build it up.  I usually find it easier if I know the guitar part cold before starting to add the singing.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

I can barely play anything anymore if I don't sing along...

playing along certainly helps with the rhythm of the song and keeps a steady beat. i've been a guitar/vocalist for about 30+ years, but i still find playing a lead part and singing difficult though playing a rhythm or bass part is natural to me. i guess it's all a case of practise, practise, practise.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I find I have to be able to forget either one or the other to be able to do both at the same time. If the words are very familiar you will probably find yourself going through the words in your head when you are playing anyway. Similarly, if you have practiced enough that the playing is automatic you can then concentrate on the words, even if you have to read them at first.
I find that any song I am trying to learn I tend to sing all day! This is really usefull because the melody of the lyric is then in my head and helps me remember the structure of the song. Certain words and phrases give my hands a clue as to what they should be doing if you like. But if you are anything like me, there will always be songs that you just can't do for whatever reason. Louis Louis has always been my Nemesis because the words are not on the beat of the music. I find it like trying to rub your belly and pat your head at the same time. Been trying for thirty years now and never done it. I can play and sing about fifty other songs mind. Sometimes you just have to move on. Best of luck.

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

If you're trying to read the lyrics while playing, you'll probably find that it's more difficult than having everything memorized.  Back in the day of cassette tapes, I used to transcribe the lyrics (as best as I could figure out), figure out the key, figure out the chords and where the changes were, and then memorize the lyrics.  By then, dealing with the chords was a no-brainer.  You wouldn't believe the number of Neil Young songs I learned that way.  Too bad it's impossible to do a partial rewind with CD's and mp3's.  Times sure are tough on you kids these days! wink  Nowadays, it's not that hard for me to stumble my way through a song on-page, if I know how it's roughly supposed to sound.  Still can't read music, though.

Me, too. I was ready to bail on this guitarage after about 03:40 but then he started laying it down. He's a great teacher.

Frankly speaking,doing both the things at same time,it comes to you with the more you do it.It requires practice and dedication.First start with easy rhythms and work up to harder ones.Some people get it faster than others.By doing so, you can gradually improve you both skills.

It's much Easyer for me to sing and play then to play and sing like ghost riders in the sky the sole guitar parts I have to sing

Let no talents go unused