------------- G----------------------------------A -----------------------D
Some stood through for the red, white and blue and some had to fall
--C-----------------D
> And if you ever think of me
G -----------------Em-----------C----D
Think of all your liberties and recall
D--------------G
Some gave all

At one point I was told each Chord above represented a full measure? Is this true? If not how do you tell how many strums are given for each chord?

Re: Chord Question (Timing & Beats)

The chords are supposed to be placed where they come in with the lyrics and the number of beats does not come into it at all. You really need to know the song, or listen and play along to work out the duration of each chord.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks for answering.  So how do you chose and use a strumming pattern?  Lets say given the example above, lets say you use 1/8 pattern of D - DU - UDU.  Do you just break this in half?

4 (edited by zguitar 2012-08-07 23:38:02)

USMC7312 wrote:

Thanks for answering.  So how do you chose and use a strumming pattern?  Lets say given the example above, lets say you use 1/8 pattern of D - DU - UDU.  Do you just break this in half?

That's a good place to start. Like Roger said, you need to be familiar with the song. Typically if each chord is 1 measure then your strum would coincide with that.

Example: Take your D DU UDU that you had. Assuming that it is a 4/4 song, your strum would count, 1 2& &4&.
                                                                                                                                             D DU UDU

So that strum would be a full measure. Strum this pattern once thru for each chord.

Hope that makes sense.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

USMC7312 wrote:

Is that the correct strumming pattern for this song?

In any case when learning a new song I think it is a big mistake to worry about strumming patterns. All you need to start is the basic 4 or 3 beats (for 4/4 and 3/4 respectively) to ensure you can sing the song and fit the chords in the right place. Once you can do that, you can get the strumming right. Trying to do everything all at once is a recipe for disaster unless you are very experienced.

Roger.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I agree with that, Roger.  I'm a relative "newbie" but when I want to learn a new song, I print off the lyrics and listen to the song while reading.  I then take a pencil and mark the lyrics where I hear the chord changes.  Once that's done, I put the chords at those locations.  I have found that someitmes the chords on this site need to be "tweeked" as far as position.  Then I play the song with strictly down strums at the chord change until I'm comfortable with it.  The LAST step is to mute the strings while listening to the song to try to pull out the strum pattern.  Then I work on putting the whole thing together.  Works for me and KEEPS IT FUN, Dean

Keeping It Fun, Dean
'91 Epiphone PR350E
'11 Taylor GC3
'15 Taylor GS Mini/Mahogany

You can't be that newb Dean. I'm 4 years in and I can't listen to a song and tell the difference between a strum change or a chord change.

Good for you!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

zguitar wrote:

You can't be that newb Dean. I'm 4 years in and I can't listen to a song and tell the difference between a strum change or a chord change.

Good for you!!!!

Bet you could if you tried. My brother calls me a technician. I am not musically inclined like he and his son are I just practice alot. I can't even tune a guitar by ear but I find that if I concentrate I can hear the chord changes and even the strum patterns.

Give it a shot. I think you will be pleasantly surprised Z.

1. Entice your audience to drink.
2. Make up the rest.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

1. Entice your audience to drink.
2. Make up the rest.

- Zurf

Best answer ever!!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

HELLO! I’M DESPERATE, IT IS AN EMERGENCY! I REALLY NEED THIS CHORDS NOW, IF YOU WILL PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F-ofrfUkpk&list=PL6502823D760A3694&feature=mh_lolz

YouTube videos are an immense help with strumming patterns. If you can find a video of your song, just watch the picking hand of the guitarist and duplicate ... way easier than trying to decipher notations.