Topic: Ovation

I would like to know what strings other Ovation players have used and how they liked them.
I have an Ovation Elite and do not use a pick, right now I have some coated strings and they
seem to give off a vibration.

Re: Ovation

Hello rcwalto,

I tend to use Martins light gauge bronze strings.
I cannot comment on the vibration mentioned as I am a pick player, However, that aside the strings sound magnificent and make for a warm and spritely sound.

Greetings and Welcome to Chordie!!

Another Ovation player here and for the most part rarely use a pick.  I've been using D'Addario Bluegrass strings with good result, heavy bottoms light tops.  Mostly because my Celebrity is the shallow body A/E and needs a little more bass because of the smaller capacity.  Recently changed to Thomastik Infeld and am really pleased with them.  Flat wound and polished smoother than the coated strings without paying too much more.  No squeak on slides and after a month holding tone & tune very well.  I think I'm going to stick with them for awhile.

As for the vibration???  are we talking fret buzz, or ??? try to describe the sound/effect you are experiencing and perhaps we can help guide you to a cure.  I've used Elixer strings and have had nothing of the sort to report, so a little more info would be good.  What brand, weight etc.

Thanks & Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Balladeer player here.  I use Martin SP phosphor bronze 92/8 blend. Took me years to settle on these.

Now available in 5G !

Martin or D'Addario light gauge on an Applause Ovation copy.
Not very loud. Doesn't fit my portly body shape.
I like the neck. It holds a tune well. Pretty sound.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Thank you for your input, I think I will go back to the D'Addario strings. I did use them but went away from them for I don't know why. But I did not have the vibration that I recall when using them.

Cheers,
Ron

7 (edited by cj-5 2013-03-18 18:05:44)

I have an Ovation Celebrity and I'm experiencing the same kind of problem. I tried D'Addario's light .012/.053 Phosphor Bronze and absolutely hated them on my Ovation. They sounded bad. I wouldn't even play the thing. I then changed to Martin Lifespan SP .013/.056 Medium Phosphor Bronze. (probably should have tried a light set). Though they sound OK they squeak terribly loud. Your not going to get away from a little squeak but these are ridiculously annoying. I'm using elixir's on my Fender. I really like them. They sound wonderful and have an enjoyable little squeak to them. I'm going to try them on my Ovation. When I do it will be the fourth set of different strings I've had on this guitar. Hopefully the elixir's will do the trick. I would just like it to sound they way it did when I got it. I don't know what strings it had, but I thought they were D'Addario's. With the Martin's I find my Ovation doesn't sound that great when playing some types of songs, however my Fender seems to do OK with any song I'm capable of playing. So I'm going with Elixirs for my next purchase. If they don't work I'll explore some of the recommendations talked about in this post.

As soon as I find what works I'm NEVER going to change from that brand/type. Needless to say it's been a frustrating endeavor thus far. My Ovation seems to be finicky. If my wife hadn't bought it for me I would trade it in. If I can get it to sound like it use to, It'll be a happy day because I really do like playing it.

Just a note: I've had it checked out and there's nothing wrong with my Ovation.  Just need to find the right strings.

cj-5

Elixir Bronze on my Custom balladeer , 12-53 .

I cant remember what is on my Pacemaker 12 string, but the next try is Martin silk and steel.  You might try them out for your 6er.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I've found that the best sounding strings for my adama are either the Martin Marquis, Martin MFX740 Phosphore Bronze Custom Light or the Martin Extended Life Plus strings.  Now I prefer a brighter sound, so I go with the extra light strings (10's in the Marquis and 80/20 in the Extended Life Plus).

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/Products/i/med_small__M2000.jpg  http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/6/001/185/510/DV019_Jpg_Regular_100036.jpg   http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mastdqInX8L9Lm0Nvxzw_wQ.jpg

cool  "I can resist anything- except temptation..."
       ---> Oscar Wilde

After having the silk and steel for a while, I can say I dont like them very much, but ill deal with them.  I go back to a bronse set again for sure for the rich tone.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

http://ovationfanclub.com/ for all your Ovation questions. I made a note some time ago that Ovation fit the following at the factory ( not sure where I got this info)
6-string: D'Addario EXP16 (.012-.053) Phosphor Bronze
12-string: D'Addario EXP38 (.010-.047).

I have D'Addario Custom Light, 11-52 on my Applause (a budget ovation, its old and action quite high so I wanted something light) and something fairly standard 10-47 on my Pacemaker 12 string (not Martin, their basic strings don't seem great). Never took to coated strings

flester wrote:

http://ovationfanclub.com/ for all your Ovation questions. I made a note some time ago that Ovation fit the following at the factory ( not sure where I got this info)
6-string: D'Addario EXP16 (.012-.053) Phosphor Bronze
12-string: D'Addario EXP38 (.010-.047).

I have D'Addario Custom Light, 11-52 on my Applause (a budget ovation, its old and action quite high so I wanted something light) and something fairly standard 10-47 on my Pacemaker 12 string (not Martin, their basic strings don't seem great). Never took to coated strings

Hey Mine is a PACEMAKER also! cool!
https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p206x206/558718_4544916820265_1817050465_n.jpg

Ernie Ball earthwood lights. I used to only use Martin Silk And Steel until they changed the way the strings were packaged.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Been using Ernie Ball medium lights on my Celebrity for awhile now. As I have a shallow body they give me good bottom end without being hard to play and don't sound tinny.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway