Topic: bridge pins

What do ya'll prefer - slotted / unslotted - beveled / unbelved - plastic, wood, brass, camel bone, ivory (yes it can be found)? I just finished changing the strings on my new 12 string and noticed that my bridge pins were pretty worn. Didn't have any new pins on hand so I re=used what I had. The next time I change string I do plan on changing out to something other harder materal than what I have now. I can ge a set of ebony for about $30.00/six pack, camel bone for about $45.00/six pack and ivory starting at $90.00/sixpack. SInce I need an even dozen this could get expensive. The plastic ones really inexpensive but they don't improve sound. I'm kinda leaning toward's ebony pins.

Nela
101 to go

Re: bridge pins

That is expensive. I guess I never thought of pins actually improving sound.ill probably stick with plastic.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

I guess I never thought of pins actually improving sound.ill probably stick with plastic.

I never gave that a thought either. I would have assumed that since the pins are below the bridge, they wouldn't have any effect on sound transfer. Looking forward to hearing other thoughts on this.

Hi nela, I use brass pins on my 6string and 12string. Ebony pins were also good. I wouldn't have thought pins made a difference until I started to experiment. I don't want to sound like a commercial/endorsement but I purchase strings and other accessories from stringsandbeyond.com. I don't like to leave the mountain unless I have to, so I just have stuff delivered to my mailbox whenever possible.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I've notice an improvement with Brass pins, but mainly the higher strings.

6 (edited by NELA 2014-06-22 19:05:44)

Changing out the bridge pins, saddle and the nut with harder materials WILL inprove the sound, sustain and overall clarity of your guitar. Bone, tsqu, ivory work well on the saddle and nuts. Plastic bridge pins wear out easy and if the ball end of the string is not set against the bottom of the bridge plate correctly can cause slippage, Even with the harder bridge pins it is very important to set the ball ends in the right way. Beveling the ends of bridge pins will help in this. It's always the little thangs.

Nela
100 to go

+1 with Bluejeep for the Brass pins.... for some reason (hardness?) they do sound better. AND really aren;t that expensive!

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I would like brass on one of my guitars.  I have found a HUGE improvement in sound going from cheap junk plastic dead junk to bone or ebony.  Boomer has bone.  Tiny has ebony.  Ol' Reliable has ebony.  I want brass on Ol' Reliable to brighten her up. 

Anyway, slotted, hard, natural goodness is what you want.  Get bone if you can.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have an older Ventura acoustic that I picked up second hand in 1979. About three years ago I brought it in to have a set up done. It was suggested that a bone nut and bridge and ebony pins would make a world of difference. Well, it really did! Even though she now is semi retired to play the occasional camp fire. She still rings out loud and true. 130 bucks well spent!

Interesting discussion.

I also wouldn't have thought that the bridge pin material would affect the sound. The business-part of the string (that does the vibrating) is between the nut and the bridge, so unless the bridge pins aren't holding well, that's what one would expect. Something to look into.

Here ya all go,,, and they are on sale! smile   http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor … ge-pin-set
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41fxCNE1JjL._SX300_.jpg
http://tonesyndicate.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Brass-p-1.jpg

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Hmmm.... I've experimented with plastic, bone, rosewood, ebony and buffalo horn pins but haven't tried brass yet.  Looks like they're cheap enough to give it a try.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

let me know wink

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

When ordering bridge pins or just purchasing OTC you need to know if your old ones are 3 degree or 5 degree pins. It is very inportant to get the right ones. I just read a good article on the proper way to install new strings and bridge pins (don't remember the site) that also showed how to bevel the ends of the pins so the ball ends of the string don't hang up.

nela
96 to go

NELA wrote:

When ordering bridge pins or just purchasing OTC you need to know if your old ones are 3 degree or 5 degree pins. It is very inportant to get the right ones. I just read a good article on the proper way to install new strings and bridge pins (don't remember the site) that also showed how to bevel the ends of the pins so the ball ends of the string don't hang up.

nela
96 to go

If you should happen to come across the article again, could you post a link? I didn't realize there were different ones. I'm not even sure I know what you mean by 3 or 5 degree pins. Thanks.

Joe

unclejoesband wrote:
NELA wrote:

nela
96 to go

If you should happen to come across the article again, could you post a link? I didn't realize there were different ones. I'm not even sure I know what you mean by 3 or 5 degree pins. Thanks.

Joe

The angle of the taper varies by Manufacturer.... but here's a tip:  Gibson and a majority of the others use the 3s, Older vintage guitars and newer Martins are wearing 5 degree pins.  Compare one of yours with a sample at your local store to get the correct ones first shot.

Take Care;
Doug

I looked back thorough some of the emails I've got from Stew-Mac.  Is the video y'all are talking about?

http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Re … _pins.html

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Cool video, funny how such little things can go missed.

I've never bought a set of pins but I would dare to say that the difference between 3 and 5 degrees on a pin that is only 1/4" in diameter and 1" long is going to be very hard to distinguish. I understand that you need to get the right ones as they are not interchangeable. The link Beamer shared didn't say what degree those are.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe thats why the pins in my fender 12 were always cracked when I took them out? I just figured it was due to the amout of psi on the bridge. (but seeing as how my bridge pulled away from the body,,, that could be the problem also since the pins were probably holding a lot of the pull tension from the bridge)

I suspect that most shops just grab a set of 5 degree pins off the shelf and ream to fit. My Luthier is a little OCD about stuff like that (he's really into restoring vintage instruments) and owns a set of taper guages and reamers for various instruments.  Another option would be to take your guitar down and pull a pin and test fit a new one of known taper.... if it wobbles you want the other ones, and if it wobbles just a tiny bit.... they're the right ones but need to be reamed a hair.

Take Care;
Doug

Ed, that's one of the vidio's I was refering too, probally the best one. I'd never thought much about bridge pins before. I'd just loosen my strings, pull the pins and proceed to change the strings. Never thought to look inside to see if they were installed right or not. From all the posts on this thread I guess I'm not the only one, either. I know I'm gonna pay more attention when changing string's, now. Still gotta get me some new pins for the 12'er when I change strings. That may be a subject for a new thread - "how ofter to you change strings".

nela

zguitar wrote:

Cool video, funny how such little things can go missed.

I've never bought a set of pins but I would dare to say that the difference between 3 and 5 degrees on a pin that is only 1/4" in diameter and 1" long is going to be very hard to distinguish. I understand that you need to get the right ones as they are not interchangeable. The link Beamer shared didn't say what degree those are.

a shop might know,,, or maybe the company hotline?? IDK have not tried it

Tenement Funster wrote:

Interesting discussion.

I also wouldn't have thought that the bridge pin material would affect the sound. The business-part of the string (that does the vibrating) is between the nut and the bridge, so unless the bridge pins aren't holding well, that's what one would expect. Something to look into.

Noooo! the whole guitar, especially the soundboard (and bridge attached to that, and pins attached to that) vibrates! Thats what makes it sound like an acoustic guitar. So the pin material surely has some effect.

Wow, I never gave any thought to the pins. I've had my old Eko over 40 years, and it was second hand when I brought it. I would suppose the easiest way to find out if you want 3s or 5s would be to e-mail the manufacturers. That's tonights project. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Thick as two short planks

I did finally did get around to changing out my bridge pins on my K Yairi D52 12 string to a new set of ebony pins. This guitar is a 1989 model that I bought used this year and the bridge pins were in very bad shape the 1st time I changed strings. I bought a new set of pins, which my darling wife accidently threw away, so I had to get another set. When I changed out the pins I also put a new set of Earthwood Light strings. I was pleasantly suprised the 1st time I strummed the guitar after tuning the new strings - the tone and sound was everything I hoped it would be. My old strings were only about a month old and still sounded good but with the new strings and new pins the guitar sounded much better.

NELA