Topic: Agree/Disagree With The Following

1. Anybody can sing

2. If not, then they can use one of those "match your key" machines and no one would know the difference.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Agree/Disagree With The Following

1. disagree, my father couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, whistling or singing. he was a truck driver back in the 50's and i used to go with him during school holidays, the engine noise was so bad i could only just hear him whistling some unknown tune, which was usually totally single note and half the notes he played were flat!  sad

on the other hand has anyone heard bob dylans latest offerings? he sounds like me on a sunday morning after a very hard saturday night (singing) cool yet still in tune, just very rasp-y

2. i've got one of those, i just hum the tune and play random notes until i find the right one. smile

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I agree with #1 and disagree with #2.

Lots of very famous singers suck at singing from the technique standpoint. But they make it work for them, so rather than their limitations equating to "sucking" we call it "hip." It's just idiosyncratic, really. I'm thinking Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen.

On the other hand, anyone can make pitch perfect music and still sound like garbage. Musicality is not the same thing as having a good sense of pitch. Examples:
- Justin Beiber is a crap box musician. (Man I hope Google indexes this for "Justin Beiber")
- I also (personally) am not a huge fan of Yngwie. Plays lots of notes and plays 'em perfect and fast, but setting a metronome to 987 BPM and shredding it out in melodic minor does not a musician make, in my humble opinion.

I am like phills dad i can not sing good at. all.:-)

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I can't sing for shyt. I play and sing for fun and my own amusement. Jerome posted a long time ago that singing is 95% attitude. So I try to sing with a attitude that shows my enjoyment. I hope folks enjoy my enthusiasm and can ignore my tone.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

1.  Yes.... many folks can sing very well, the rest of us just have "Style"!  It takes practice but I think anybody can improve and a good set of monitors can really help those that don't hear what everybody else has to put up with,

2.  It's a tool and use it if you must.  I have one, and it is particularly useful for adding "voices" and depth.  But generally, I let the guitar make the music, and if I happen to be singing along..... it's likely just keeping me from mixing up the verses and chorus etc.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Interesting idea for a thread, Bill ...

1) There seem to be 3 answers here. Some folks cannot carry a tune, for whatever reason. Others can carry a tune okay, but their voices don't have a pleasant quality (nasal, croaky, etc.). This second group can often "get by" with passion, accompaniement, other voices, etc. Then there are those select people who carry a tune and have a nice quality to their voice. They may need practice to improve it, but they had "the goods" to begin with.

2) A lot of electronic gadgetry can synthesize talent, but can't really create it. There are plenty of examples from the pop music genre, as has been mentioned.

I think I have to disagree with both, to a degree.

1. Everyone can do something that sounds kind of like singing.  I wouldn't always call it singing though.  I had the unpleasant experience more times than I'd like to remember of people trying to stand close to me in a Choir setting so that I could drown them out or so they could hear what notes they should be singing.  I'm not sure, but it made my job of trying to hit the right notes difficult.  Despite their abilities, their enthusiasm was always there, and they appeared to be singing even if it was painful to listen to.  They would say they were singing. 

2.  I've heard some singing that's so off no amount of electronic gadetry could possibly make it sound good. 

I don't want to sound like a snob here.  I too sing for myself, for my soul.  I share because other people seem to like to listen to it.  I do think enthusiasm makes up for a lack of talent a lot of the time as far as entertainment value goes.   But, I still say those people "can't sing".  LOL!  Bob Dylan's got a lot of awesome songs.  I can't listen to an entire Dylan album.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Thanks, everyone. Some cool answers there. (I especially liked the one which includes "Justin BEIBER").

In 2007, I decided to take singing lessons. The lady who taught me (should I have chosen a guy, or does it matter?) got me going really well with the piano exercises and the "do re mi" as well as the Three Stooges' "Alphabet/Consonant Song ": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgmdnxtz3Bo  but then my hours at work changed and I had to stop taking the course.

I do remember when we sang together she kept telling me I was singing "harmony" with her. I don't know if she was just being kind or what.

So now what I do is... I hum along to the key the song's supposed to be in until I get a "match" with the guitar and then the "train begins to roll". More often than not, however, it "derails" somewhere along the "track" and I cuss and walk away. smile

There's a song somewhere on YouTube that I did in some guy's studio and I think he "doctored" it as best he could, but it still sounds like doo-doo. I'll let y'all look it up yourselves. I'm too ashamed to post it myself. (see #2 in Amy's post above.

For Amy: When I used to go to church, I only used to "mouth" the words, so you would have been safe with me. smile

Thanks everyone! Great answers!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

A bad singing voice is one that can't carry a tune. For some reason they can never get the right pitch. I think it's a hearing issue. If you can carry a tune, it really doesn't matter what type of voice you have.. Do you really think Bob Dylan could make it past the first round of American Idol, yet I love his music. He can carry a tune. It's all relative I guess

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Jeff Taylor, can sing don't let him try and fool you. His cover of Monster Mash is second to none!!

Later, Wayne P

Amy,
You need to listen to the album Desire by Bob Dylan. I have worn a few out, its a great album.

Later, Wayne P

Speaking of Bob - I read a month or so ago, that, in conjunction with AARP about 50 k members will be receiving a free copy of his latest album along with their magazine. I'm not sure if that time has passed; if so, I didn't get one.

Are any of you Merkins members of AARP? Maybe you got one?

Thanks and have a great Sunday, my friends. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

wlbaye wrote:

Jeff Taylor, can sing don't let him try and fool you. His cover of Monster Mash is second to none!!

Thanks Wayne - Monster Mash is more of a "speaking" rather than a singing song - and I do  believe I have found my niche there. I do many speaking songs - most at twice the speed of the originals. smile

I am also a firm believer if you can't do it well, make up for it in volume!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

That's the ticket Jeff

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

i had to post a second time on this one.

my fav bob dylan has to be "tweeter and the monkey man" from the travelling wilberys.

as for others not quite hitting the notes; i've often had to accompany punters that want to come up and give a song, very often singing each verse in a different key.

i had one guy that sounded exactly like tom jones, pitch perfect, beautiful tonal quality, but he had no idea of timing so kept coming in before the beat or changing the rhythm midway through a verse, totally oblivious to what he was doing. he came 2nd in a tom jones sound alike competition...if he could keep time he might have won...who knows?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Timing is not my best suit either

18 (edited by beamer 2015-02-23 22:51:59)

topdown wrote:

I can't sing for shyt. I play and sing for fun and my own amusement. Jerome posted a long time ago that singing is 95% attitude. So I try to sing with a attitude that shows my enjoyment. I hope folks enjoy my enthusiasm and can ignore my tone.

well we havenot had a tomato fight yet! LOLOL I felt my attitude makes up for ability ,, and sometimes I surprise myself and the notes come out just right. (as happened last year at chordiestock, dont know if lightening will hit twice.  if it dows I hope its getting taped this time! LOLOL)

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

bensonp wrote:

Timing is not my best suit either

AMEN TO THAT,, Ibet you and I would fall intime together and still be out of time with anyone else LOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)