Re: Football2016-2017 season

So the "Sadhawks" manage to hold off NE to the last inch to keep it out of overtime, for another one in the "win" column.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Yeah!  The defense finally showed up (in the person of Kam Chancellor) and they found some semblance of a run game.  That was an awesome football game.  So that makes me happy.

What makes me sad is USC absolutely going to school on my Huskies.  The Trojans made a QB change about five weeks ago to start true freshman Sam Darnold.  That kid cut the Dawgs secondary to ribbons, and UW couldnt adjust, and had no answer to it.   And since the odds of the committee putting a one loss Pac-12 team in the final four swiftly approach 0, even with Michigan and Clemson getting beat, I'm holding hope for the Rose Bowl.

And as yet another example of East Coast media bias and desperate attempts to pump up the ACC, Clemson, which has been scraping by all season long, finally got exposed and got beat by an un-ranked Penn team.  They fall two places.  They Huskies got beat by a resurgent perennial power house and #24 ranked USC team.

Clemson falls two spots.  UW falls 3.  Louisville, who plays no-one and beat a "powerhouse" Wake Forrest team, sits at #3.

And remember that #4 ranked Texas A&M team?  They lost to an unranked team for the second week in a row.

Anyway... Committees suck, and we need an eight team playoff.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

103 (edited by Russell_Harding 2016-11-14 18:21:46)

The Packers players and coaches need to go to intensive care they stink! Fire McCarthy,Dom Capers and get some fresh blood in the receiving corp even if you have to pay the big bucks for quality players the defense has more holes then a food strainer the offensive line totally sucks end of rant

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I am gl;ad too see at least the Seahawks won. Green bay got hurt worse and My 49ers are a joke. To bad the Huskies lost they went in with a 9 win streak and got beat by usc whom I do not like at all.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

That's 9 losses in a row for the forty niners,I think Seattlewon and Green bay is playing tonight I think.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Well, the Sadhawks went and laid an egg against a pretty good Tampa Bay team.   You could make injury excuses (Earl Thomas and Michael Benett out) but when you drop the football (lookin at you, Jimmy Graham) and run terrible routes (lookin' at you, Paul Richardson) leading to INTs, you're gonna get beat.  The good news is that the Hawks could lose every game on the schedule except for LA and Arizona, and still win the division.

My Dawgs, though...  This was "Rivalry Week" in college football.  Ohio State barely (and I mean "bad spot by refs") beat Michigan.   Alabama stomped all over Auburn.   And the Huskies opened a serious case of whoop-ass on cross state rivals (and #22 ranked) WSU Cougars.   Colorado beat Utah to put them in the Pac-12 championship game against UW.  This sets up a really odd set of circumstances for the morons on "the committee" picking the final four teams to play for the national championship, assuming Washington beats Colorado, which should be ranked in the top 10.

Lets just assume Alabama and Ohio State are gonna be there, no matter what, because they are.

In the Pac-12, Washington would have beaten a #8 or #9 ranked Colorado team.

The Big-10 championship game isn't going to have Ohio State in it.  Because the Buckeye's lost to Penn State, it is going to be Wisconsin (#6) vs Penn State (#7).  This has all the makings of a *great* football game, too, so watch it.

Clemson, which has skated by all season long and got beat at home by an un-ranked U-Penn team is going to play an un-ranked Virginia Tech team in the ACC championship game.

So since Ohio State and Alabama are absolute locks to get into the final four, that leaves two spots open for three actual division champions.  Washington, the Big-10 champ, and Clemson.

Someone is going to be on the outside looking in.  I hope it's Clemson.  The ACC shouldn't even be considered a "Power 5" conference, but since it is owned lock, stock, and barrel by ESPN, they are going to prop it up any way they can.  See Louisville losing back to back against un-ranked teams, and still somehow being ranked #11 in the country as an example.

We live in interesting times!  big_smile

I hope your huskies can pull something through. I hope your Seahawks do also. I am embarrassed to be a forty niner fan right now 10 losses in a row!!

dino48 wrote:

I hope your huskies can pull something through. I hope your Seahawks do also. I am embarrassed to be a forty niner fan right now 10 losses in a row!!

Look at the bright side.  The 49ers ownership has screwed it up so bad they won't have much choice other than to go hire a top name head coach (I know Mike Holmgren wants the job) and then turn the whole thing over to them.  No one would take that gig under any other circumstances, except guys that enjoy the qualifier "interim" next to their "head coach" title.

"You pay me, then shut up and disapear until the off-season."  big_smile

The Bucs have won 3 in a row and I think this team is learning how to win and believe in themselves. Although still open to force the ball on occasion, Jameis Winston has thus far proven to be an upstanding citizen, a team leader and most importantly, a winner. The defense was certainly impressive in holding the Hawks to only 5 points.   

I am also becoming a believer in these Cowboys - I've been waiting on the bubble to burst all year, but Prescott and Elliott (behind the best OL in football) continue to impress week after week. Even with a suspect D, this team is really special - I cannot think of a tandem of rookies that have performed this well - ever.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

jerome.oneil wrote:
dino48 wrote:

Look at the bright side.  The 49ers ownership has screwed it up so bad they won't have much choice other than to go hire a top name head coach (I know Mike Holmgren wants the job) and then turn the whole thing over to them.  No one would take that gig under any other circumstances, except guys that enjoy the qualifier "interim" next to their "head coach" title.

"You pay me, then shut up and disapear until the off-season."  big_smile

True. The owners are Doctors and they do not know football it seems as they keep making the wrong moves. HI jeff The cowboys are getting better no more Tony Romo. I have not been following Tampa Bay.

With conference championship games still to be played this weekend, the last NCAA regular-season rankings have been released.  #1 is 12-0 Bama with wins over #11,14,21,and 22.  They will play #15 Florida for the SEC championship.  Win or lose they will be in the playoff.  #2 is 11-1 OSU with their #1 strength of schedule, having beaten #5,6,and 9 and a loss to #7. They won't be in the Big 10 championship game but I don't think the committee will drop them from the playoffs. Jim Hairball has been whining all week about "the spot" that supposedly cost #5 UM the game (although he doesn't mention the lost fumble and 2 picks) and there must be 10,000 pix posted on the net by Michigan fans "proving" Barrett didn't make the line of gain on 4th down but none of them show his forward progress before falling back.  Overhead shots show he not only made it, the refs may have spotted the ball a little short of his forward progress. As Jerome said, the Buckeyes won't be playing for the Big 10 championship, they have the best over-all record in the Big 10 but #7 PSU wins the in-conference tie breaker and will play #6 Wisconsin. The Lions are 10-2 with a win over #2 and losses to #5 and 25,  the #6 Badgers are also 10-2 with a win over #21 and losses to #2 and #5. Ranked at #3 is11-1 Clemson. Their strength of schedule is ranked 8th and they have wins over teams ranked 12, 13, 14 and a loss to #25.  They meet #23 Va Tech in their championship game and a win will put them in the playoffs.  At #4 is 11-1 Washington. They have the weakest strength of schedule (#15) among the top-ranked teams with wins over #18 and 20 and a loss to #11.  Still, if they win over #8 Colorado this weekend, it'll  beef up their resume and they'll be in the four-team playoff.  Should be an exiciting weekend of college football.

I'm a big Buckeye fan, but it seems odd that OSU is ranked #2 even though they can't be in the Big 10 conference championship. I'm not sure in my mind that they are currently one of the best 4 teams in college football.  They are the youngest of all the  "Power 5" teams, playing a lot of freshmen and sophomores so they are pretty inconsistent in their performance. Guess it'll all shake out soon and maybe they'll surprise me.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

The strength of schedule stuff is all nonsense.    Washington destroyed a #7 ranked Stanford team and got no credit for it.   The SEC outside of Alabama and maybe LSU is as soft as wet toast.   The rankings at this point in the season are purely to prop up the weakest divisions because that's where the TV revenue is.  VA Tech, my favorite whipping boy for this, is a perfect example.   That is a team that got beat by Syracuse and  GA Tech,  got destroyed by Tennessee,  and barely managed to scratch out wins against Duke and Pitt.      Yet they've been bouncing around the top 25, as they do every year, for no reason at all other than to make the ACC look like it's a tougher division than it actually is.   Clemson has been scraping by all year long, winning close ones against bad teams.   They should be right around #10, tops, and the Wisconsin,  Penn State, and Michigan guys should be arguing over who gets in.   See also:  Louisville, with back to back losses against unranked teams (which would drop any west coast team out of the top 25 entirely) still manages to get ranked #13.

The Big 10 is the toughest division in football,  but right now I'd argue USC  is the best team.   They had a terrible start, fired their coach, changed QBs (that kid is amazing) and have been wrecking people ever since.   I'm picking Alabama v OSU in the final game, with Alabama winning it, but I'll be pulling for the Buckeyes.

Pac-12 Championship game today!   Go Dawgs!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f6/4c/8d/f64c8dbcffd405294d2943810974e2c1.jpg

114 (edited by dino48 2016-12-02 19:13:55)

jerome.oneil wrote:

Pac-12 Championship game today!   Go Dawgs!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f6/4c/8d/f64c8dbcffd405294d2943810974e2c1.jpg

I hope they win . I do not like southern cal.

That's good, because they're playing Colorado.  big_smile   SC will most likely end up in the Rose Bowl, which will be an injustice to whoever loses tonight.

jerome.oneil wrote:

That's good, because they're playing Colorado.  big_smile   SC will most likely end up in the Rose Bowl, which will be an injustice to whoever loses tonight.

I hope it will be on one of my sports channels I will have too look around.

dino48 wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:

I hope it will be on one of my sports channels I will have too look around.

It was on Fox.  The Huskies won convincingly.   It was good because Jake Browning, the UW QB, had a *terrible* game.  Something like five completions the whole night.  So they just fed their running backs the rock and let the O-Line smash holes all the way to the end zone.  End result was 41 points and something like 65% of the minutes holding the ball.

So its UW v Alabama in the Peach Bowl for the right to play in the national championship game.   UW should expect to be heavy underdogs.  Alabama is huge and fast everywhere so any mistake will cost.

Ohio State is going to wreck Clemson.

118 (edited by dino48 2016-12-04 22:11:54)

11 loses in a row!!   I am glad your teams are doing ok. 49ers stink and so do the owners.

Glad to see the Huskies make the playoffs.  I hope you're right Jerome, but 'm not too sure about the Buckeyes against Clemson.  Hopefully coach Meyer will have them playing better than they did their last few games.  I thought that Penn State might replace OSU in the top four.  I think they were the better team at the end of the season, but having two losses was too much to overcome with the committee.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Washington is a very good JV team playing an Alabama Varsity that is superb.   However- it is a game and anything can happen, just not likely.

I do agree with Jerome though that Clemson will get smashed by the Buckeyes.... they are too undisciplined.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

121 (edited by jerome.oneil 2016-12-05 20:40:59)

TIGLJK wrote:

Washington is a very good JV team playing an Alabama Varsity that is superb.   However- it is a game and anything can happen, just not likely.

Yeah, JV. 

Jake Browning - 21st in the nation in passing yards, ahead of Jalen Hurtz who isn't even in the top 40.     Browning is the sixth ranked QB in the nation  by QBR.  Hurts is #23.

Miles Gaskin - 15th in the nation in rushing yards, ahead of Damien Harris, who isn't even in the top 40.   The Huskies #2 rusher, Lavon Coleman,  is a 228lb hammer that is 150 yards short of a thousand for the season.  The Tides #2 rusher is.... Jalen Hurts.

John Ross - One of the fastest guys in FBS and the #23 receiver in the country by yards, ahead of ArDarius Steward, who isn't even in the top 40.

If anyone has JV players, it's Alabama's offense.  It's a one trick pony ridden by Jalen Hurts,  an undeniable absolute thoroughbred of an athlete.   Their offense is essentially "Jalen Runs the Ball."   We see what happens when they run into a tough run defense like LSUs.   The Tide lives and dies with it's defense, which is phenomenal.  It's ranked #1 in the nation, and it isn't even close.  However,  UW's is 10th, so they are really good, too.   

The key to this game offensively for the Huskies is going to be if John Ross and Jake Browning can take the top off of that Alabama defense so that Miles Gaskin and Lavon Coleman can find room to run.  Defensively it's going to be about containing Jalen Hurts and forcing him to beat them with his arm, rather than his legs.   UW has three "Sunday players" in their backfield.   What will hurt them defensively is a season ending injury to middle linebacker Aziz Victor.  That guy was an edge to edge tank, and he broke his leg against USC.

The Pack plays the Seahawks at Lambau field should be a good game both teams need it

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

The Pack plays the Seahawks at Lambau field should be a good game both teams need it

Should be a good game.

Army finely won a game after 15 years of Navy winning! Navy was missing a lot of key players.

49ers twelve losses in a row.