Topic: Elvis, lets not forget him

I don't know what you think about Elvis, but let me know, love him him or hate him, you can't ignore him.

Yesterday, I played some of my favorite tracks, you know why.

Anyway, these were my selections.

Mystery Train
That's all right
Jailhouse Rock
The Wonder of You
Blue Suede Shoes
King Creole
Peace in the Valley
Suspicious Minds

and many more ...

cheers

David

Re: Elvis, lets not forget him

Abolutely love him.  Poor kid from wrong side of the tracks in a little town in rural Mississippi.  Misfit outsider as an adolescent living in Memphis.  Loved his momma and was nice to people.  Wrote some great songs and was a thrilling performer.

Had some personal problems, but don't we all.  Made some bad career moves (awful movies) on advice from greedy management.  Made some more bad career moves (Las Vegas) on advice from greedy management.  Died lonely yet surrounded by 'friends'.

My wife and I renewed our wedding vows on our 8th anniversery with a Japanese Elvis impersonator (Miso Elvis) in Memphis at the wedding chapel in the back of the Cafe Manana Coffeehouse.  Miso Elvis sang 'Love Me Tender' and 'I Can't Help Falling In Love With You'.  Great guy - great sideburns - and a very talented and dedicated Elvis impersonator.

My car broke down many years ago along a very busy interstate highway in New Orleans.  The tow truck operator who came was an Elvis impersonator.  Very shiny blue flake & chrome tow truck.  The interior was a meticulous shrine to 'The King'.  Great guy - great sideburns - fun to talk to and very serious in his dedication to the memory of Elvis.  I realized that I could trust this man completely because everything he did reflected upon his hero and he would not do anything to sully the image of Elvis.

Elvis was a heck of a guy.  Great musician, artist, pioneer, and gentleman.
Happy Elvis Week everybody!  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

James,
That reminds me of something they used to do at a local night spot called Rock n Bowl.  This place is and old bowling alley that looks like it is straight out of 1950's america.  The owner made it a hybrid bowling alley/music club and every Elvis birthday or death anniversary he would get an Elvis lookalike to come and lipsync to "Elvis Live from Hawaii."  The place would be packed beyond belief to watch a guy lipsync, and throw out scarfs to the audience.  So yeah, were kinda of fond of Elvis in New Orleans.

Acmecorp, me three personal favorites are
Marie's the Name of His Latest Flame
A Fool Such As I
and my alltime favorite
Burning Love

Jim

I love Elvis ( not in a homosexual sort of way I have to add)

Although I think too much is done to celebrate him.

My favourite songs he sang ( but never wrote,since he never wrote any of his own songs) are

In the ghetto, I love playing this on guitar
suspicious minds..... a true classic that gets everyone singing.
The wonder of you... people just cannot help singing, woo oh oh oh
can help falling in love..... he does this better than the original
heartbreak hotel.
wooden heart
and the song that got him going that he had to pay for out his own pocket to record for his ma, Thats alright mamma.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

acmecorp wrote:

I don't know what you think about Elvis, but let me know, love him him or hate him, you can't ignore him.

Yesterday, I played some of my favorite tracks, you know why.

Anyway, these were my selections.

Mystery Train
That's all right
Jailhouse Rock
The Wonder of You
Blue Suede Shoes
King Creole
Peace in the Valley
Suspicious Minds

and many more ...

cheers

David

Blue suede shoes was Carl Perkins

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel
Jimi Hendrix
cool danspr

Carl Perkins and Elvis had a good thing going.  Toss in Johnny Cash (Luther Perkins, Carl's dad, was Johnny Cash's first guitar player) and Roy Orbison, too.  They all covered each others work and considered it 'sharing' rather than 'stealing' (though Kris Kristofferson wrote a song called "Let's All Get Together and Steal Each Others Songs").  Elvis did a version of Blue Suede Shoes that wasn't bad at all, though no one does Carl Perkins like Carl Perkins. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

danspr wrote:

Blue suede shoes was Carl Perkins

wel, I never knew that. I have never even heard of carl perkins.

It was Elvis that made it a hit, it is Elvis' version the majority of the world know the song for.

You could go one better and find out who wrote all the other songs mentioned here since Elvis didnt write any of his own songs.

Elvis is remembered for being a singer and mostly an entertainer, not a songwriter
So to pull someone up for mentioning a carl perkins song that elvis sang and made more famous than the actual writer just kaes it look like you are saying it was not Elvis' song where it was in a way since he made it big.
Just like Wet wet wet made love is all around bigger than the original that the troggs done.
Just like Jimmy done a better version of Wild thing
Just like the Byrds done Mr Tambourine man and made it more famous than Dylan did.
Just like All the young dudes was a bowie song, a song he deliberatly wrote for them so they did not split up due to not having any writing skills left.
Just like Streets of london was made massive by the beatles and not the great original by Ralph McTell ( or whatever he was called,lol)
just like .... just  like..... just like ..... just like..... just like I dont have to go on and on do I?

Elvis sang all the songs he sang, and performed them on stage better than anyone else could have I think.
Now, this perky guy might have a wee bit of a following even though I have never heard of him, but a few million elvis fans, even 30 years after his death cannot be wrong.

ok,
rant over smile

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hey,
I suppose I sorta liked him. Fantastic voice! But I don't like that style of music.
I don't mind his stuff.

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.