Topic: Aretha Franklin

Aretha Franklin died today from Pancreatic  Cancer.  We lost another  great talent.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Re: Aretha Franklin

It seems they're dropping like flies. Another great talent, what a voice? That band up in the sky must be sounding heavenly

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Although I wasn't particularly a fan of her music, there's no question she was an icon in the soul music world. I like Phill's comment about the "choir invisible". smile

4 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2018-08-18 17:01:09)

I "cut my drummer's teeth" on "Soul" Music, CG and all. You weren't worth spit as a drummer unless you had that "Memphis" soul rhythm in your sticks and feet, and together with the bass, well...... if your singer was Aretha Franklin, you'd be just fine because she was her own "lead instrument".

"Respect" was always the tune that "got 'em onto the dance floor" and if you followed that one up with even more, it would keep 'em there.  Close the set with Otis Redding's "Dock Of The Bay" and Bob's yer uncle.

Aretha must have kept her private life VERY private, because one never heard of such things as politics, likes, dislikes, etc.. It was always just the music and that voice, but if you listened, everything was right there in the emotion. THAT she never hesitated to share with us.

Rest In Peace, "Ree Ree". You sure were a "lung-slinger".

Bill

PS: This is NOT Aretha, but helps to explain what I wrote in paragraph 1 above. Turn it up and enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sm9n-6hy6M

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Aretha was a great artist! Being a college student I was inspired by her voice and started my own lyrics and essay writing. Also, she helped me with other assignments -  love to music and guitar     

great