Topic: Update - new layout

The new layout module is now online. This means better formatted songs for everybody!

There is a major change in how the songs and the chords are written in html. I wont go into technical details here, but this will solve a lot of my unresolved bugs.

* The old layout made it impossible to copy into another program (like Word). This is now possible!
* The old layout had some issues on multipage songs. Some chords lines just disappeared. This is really an Internet Explorer bug that I was unable to solve. The new layout fixes this indirectly.

And the new layout also introduces a few extra features:

* Scaling of just the text/chords. Nobody wants to scale the Chordie logo - they want big text. Please give feedback about the increment levels. You can access this from the keyboard with accesskey+"+" and accesskey+"-".

* Auto-scrolling. A much requested feature. You can adjust the speed by pressing accesskey+#. In Internet Explorer that means alt+2 to make it scroll slowly. Firefox uses alt+shift+2. I am not sure about the speed defaults here. Please give feedback.

* Two column compact view. This replaces the old full screen view.

* View lyrics only or chords only. Mainly for practice.

* A print preview feature. This is one of my favorites. It lets you move the grids around and adjust the font size. It even gives you an indicator of whether you have been able to squeeze the song onto one page.

I have done a bit testing myself, but I will need help from you. Please report any bugs related to the new features. I am especially interested in getting feedback from people using various combinations of OS/browsers (Linux, Mac, Safari, Opera etc). Please also look for any new bugs in forum song display and the songbook. These will automatically use the new layout module, but I have not had very much time testing them.

Re: Update - new layout

thanks for the great idea of size its great you can enlarge the lyrics and the chord symbols
fantastic thank you so much  john o connor ireland

smile

thanks for the great idea of size feature now you can enlarge the lyrics on screen and the chord
symbols..fantastic  well done  its a fabalous site the best !!!! kind regards john o connor ireland

smile

Jusy looked at James's song in new format ,. Nice

....Badeye.

one caper after another

I think I might have found a bug.  To use the new print feature, it automatically reverts back to the original song.  I have quite a few that I've transposed to other keys for ease of singing, and when I print them, they only print in the original key.  I can still use the print command from Internet explorer, but I automatically puts the guitar grids on.  Other than that, it looks great!

Thanks for reporting this bug, Pappy. I think it is fixed now. Please verify.

Here's a print bug...

Whenever a song has a quote symbol ( " ) the song will print everything up to the symbol and not beyond.

For example, in John Mellencamp's "Pink Houses" the print feature will print everything up to:

[And he looks at her and says,] but, because there's a quote symbol after the word "says," nothing prints beyond it.

Specs:

iMac  OS X.4.10
Firefox browser

sc

I think I know what is wrong here.

Could you please post the url to that song?

yes great, much improved, and loving the scroll button, brill, thanx.

aka ......   Boxer Petal....<3

admin wrote:

Thanks for reporting this bug, Pappy. I think it is fixed now. Please verify.

Thanks!  It works fine now.  I appreciate the quick response!

There are a couple of things that I notice in the new layout that are not working. (At least for me ).

* Songs seem to get cut off when printing if quotes are contained in the song. As in this link.
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/getso … Son.chopro

* Unable to add songs to personal songbook due to text overflow down the right hand side. As in this link.
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.g … /4372.html

FYI, I am using Suse Linux 10.1 and Firefox 2.006. But I have also checked these pages with WinXP and IE 6. Both os's and browsers display the same results.

Steve

spider01 wrote:

There are a couple of things that I notice in the new layout that are not working. (At least for me ).

* Songs seem to get cut off when printing if quotes are contained in the song. As in this link.
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/getso … Son.chopro

* Unable to add songs to personal songbook due to text overflow down the right hand side. As in this link.
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.g … /4372.html

FYI, I am using Suse Linux 10.1 and Firefox 2.006. But I have also checked these pages with WinXP and IE 6. Both os's and browsers display the same results.

Steve

Agree;  I also use Firefox 2.006 and experience the overflow of stuff down the right-hand side, but could be related to a plug-in (ie. Adblock Plus).  Suggest disabling it to see if that rectifies the problem.

I find that {soc} & {eoc} is not working like before, anyone else having this problem?

Regards,
Jock.

Where can i Update this file because i can't seem to find it on your site?

Summers

Hiya was loving the scroll key earlier but just playing
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere?url=h … wner=Gismo

and it's not there

aka ......   Boxer Petal....<3

Hey,
Um, whenever I use the print feature, there's a massive gap just before the song, and then when it gets to the "A4 page here" mark, it completely cuts off the song.
I'm running Safari 2.0.4 on Mac OS X 10.4.9.
This may be my computer however.

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

boxer wrote:

Hiya was loving the scroll key earlier but just playing
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere?url=h … wner=Gismo

and it's not there

Thanks for reporting this. It is a bug, and I will fix it.

Jikklop wrote:

Hey,
Um, whenever I use the print feature, there's a massive gap just before the song, and then when it gets to the "A4 page here" mark, it completely cuts off the song.
I'm running Safari 2.0.4 on Mac OS X 10.4.9.
This may be my computer however.

Jikklop

Most likely this is a Safari issue, but I will try to fix it.

Could you post one url where you are experiencing this problem, and - ideally - send a screenshot of the error to admin@chordie.com.

Now I'm having a page view and print problem.

Page view problem:  Extraneous text on the right margin prevents me from using the ADD TO SONGBOOK feature.
http://www.ibuytime.com/page_view.jpg

Print view problem:  There's nothing to print.
http://www.ibuytime.com/print_view.jpg

Specs:

iMac  OS X.4.10
Firefox browser

sc

Jock said:
"I find that {soc} & {eoc} is not working like before, anyone else having this problem?"

Yep, me too. It seems that once you do a {soc} it will never revert to standard verse formatting, everything stays indented and italisized...almost as if the {eoc} is having no effect.
Is that what's happening to you Jock?

More issues that might be related (sorry Per)....all of which appear to be related to spacing.
First, if I have the chord notation directly following the word, then a space, then the next word in the editor (word[B] next words), the space does not show in the edited text, but does show if I do it word space chord word (word [B]next words)
Also there appears to be issues with leaving blank lines, as in, the program doesn't want to do it.
I've only checked a few of the songs in my songhbooks, but these issues seem to be consistant.
That being said, the auto-scroll is kick ass and where has that been all my life!
Hang in there Per...what was already a great site just keeps getting better!
Tunedeaf

No point in apologizing for posting bugs, tunedeaf. The reason I am not fixing these bugs are mainly because I do not know about them. The most important tribute you can make to the site is telling me what is wrong.

So for the update:
* {eoc} not working - fixed
* {eob} not working - fixed
* right hand side text overflow/unable to add song to songbook - fixed
* print preview empty (related to above problem) - fixed
* spacing problems "word[B] word" - fixed
* new line problem - fixed
* Mac-Safari-problem. I am crossing my finger that some of these bug fixes will automagically fix this problem as well. Please report. Unfortunately I will not be able to verify this myself the next couple of days.

Please give me feedback about whether or not this really fixed the problems.

Guys, is there anything up with your DNS entries? I can get to the site via your IP address, but can't resolve chordie.com?

There are some major network problems in the area where the primary DNS-server is located. I think this is the cause of the problems.

the network problems should be fixed within 2 hours. Then everything will be normal again

Hi
I use mac and a program called pages and it  can import word files and  when i cut and paste it mess up the whole thing..
the chords  line up downwards....

Is there a way you can fix this