Re: Mandolin

Hello
I play mandolin and
I 'm looking for a chart, graph, sliding scale, whatever.... that will help me understand, what I'm seeing (like a G chord) when a guitar player capos at, 2nd fret, 3rd fret, 4th fret... does anyone know of a simple sliding scale that helps me know that a G shape, capoed at the 2nd fret is an A for the Mandolin?

You might try Mandolin Cafe...lots of good info on their site...   http://www.mandolincafe.com/  ...

Also you can make your own chart...example:  Might have to count everything out and make a chart for the key and chords that you use...some of the music stores and capo companies have a transposing guide that might help...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I'm getting ready to go on vacation soon, and have limited space to pack an instrument, so I bought a cheap Rouge A-style mandolin from Musician's friend. I'm having a lot of fun with it. I love that Chordie let's you display the Mandolin chords (I don't need the guitar chord symbols -- know 'em all).

I know about Mandolin Cafe. Any other good Mandolin sites out there?

Hi I have just registered with chordie and would like to know if anyone has the tab for the lead break on a Neil Young song called LOOK OUT FOR MY LOVE or another song called GOING BACK which has the tab for guitar but I'm sure I can hear a mandolin in there somewhere and would love to get the tab and correct tuning for that if possible.

Thanks Big Mumma

Hey,
*BEWARE! NAIVETY AHEAD!*
I don't even know what a mandolin looks like! Let alone what it is... tongue

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

I have been Converting Music Notation for Songs into Mando Tablature, placing the Converted Music on Index Cards ! This works well for portability , except for 1 drawback : How to 'prop' cards @ an angle for reading ease. So, I realized I can use a Domino's Rack. Perfect ! ... I am pleased to report : I am finding I can Cross-Pick Notes of Songs well (when written in Tab ; have yet to learn to Read Music in Standard Notation.) ... I had to Adjust the Bridge , in order to gain the proper "Action". (That, I did by my Self.) ... I am slightly saddened RE : my Self Tutoring Musical Instruments. I had to decide that : the 'Classical' Guitar which I bought for $ 300.oo is a rather very large "Box", too large for my ease in play. That's why I looked again at my Mando : Compact & Portable.  Now I just need a Case of some sort (I've narrowed possibilities down to a choise between three Cases.)  I also need extra Strings & a Strap. The "Learn & Master Guitar" program, taught by Steve Krenz, I'm sending to my Daughter.

Jikklop wrote:

Hey,
*BEWARE! NAIVETY AHEAD!*
I don't even know what a mandolin looks like! Let alone what it is... tongue

Jikklop

Here you are Jikklop this link will enlighten you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandolin

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Gang
NIce to see that there are other duffers out there. I find the B chords give me greef.
I've been jamming with people that know guitar very well, if you know the pantatonic scale of the tune there playing you  can pick away and acully sound as if you know what your doing. Try it.

Hello,
I'm a newbie @ mandolin and would like to find some easy songs to play that aren't old stuff that I don't even know how it's supposed to go, any suggestions.  I'd like to know where the poster from a long way back found stuff for O Brother?

KDSTEW : Go To << CVLS.COM >> , and order the SPECIALLY Discounted COMBO : " Mandolin Primer for Beginners " by Bert Casey AND ! " Roland White's Approach to Blue Grass Mandolin ".  Bert's Book comes w/ (1) DVD & (1) CD. Roland's Book comes w/ (2) CD's. Bert's Book's Music is Presented in Standard Musical Notation AND ! Tablature Format. Roland's Book's Music is Presented in Tablature thruout. Both Books have a Stylized Format in the Mandolin Tablature presentation, such that Time of Notes is readily Understood. Total $ Cost is approx. $ 70.oo (that's w/ Shipping added in.) If you mail in a postcard from the back of Roland's Book, you will be mailed (3) additional Songs. Well worth your while, in Learning Mandolin, Time-wise & Money-wise.  The DVD starts you off @ the very beginning of knowing absolutely nothing about Mandolin. Roland's Book leaves you at the verge between Intermediate & beginning to Study @ Advanced Level. If you are a Newbie w/ Mandolin, Get those (2) Books, w/ the DVD & (3) (total) CD's.

STEW : You might also Go to << Amazon.com >> and type into Search Engine : " Mandolin Books ". There's a vast selection of Books , many w/ CD's , available thereat.

Well my heart and soul belongs to the guitar (*cough* and the Lord of course.....)
but I actually have a mandolin im trying to learn how to play. My brother's been playing around on it too and hes way better than me. That dude can play anything i swear..... Anyway I love the mandolin (or anything country or blugrass, or blues too and if im not mistaken there were some blues singers with mandolins). LoveBill Monroe smile

All You Need is Love smile

There are a ton of bluegrass mandolin dudes. It's a staple of the genre.

The thing is hard, though.  You have to have a huge stretch for such a tiny little neck.

Mandolin is Italian for "out of tune."  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

i know blueGRASS i said blues.... but lol thats funny the italian thing. And yeah ive learned like 4 chords. Its funny though when my bro complains about bar chords on the  thing lol

All You Need is Love smile

I have been playing mandolin for a number of years and would advise anyone taking it up to learn the arpeggios and scales, actualy quite simple realy. It allows you to do the fills and runs inbetween other instruments. In fact I rarely play whole chords, single notes have a sort of chord feel due to the double stringing.
I have several Mandolins but my favourites are a Godin A8 Electro acoustic. and Pickard acoustic (with a deanmarkly bug in it)

If "Mandolin is Italian for "out of tune" Then banjo must surely be latin for un-tunable.

Hey upyerkilt thanks to a fellow scotsman for the gootar link for mando chords. Been working at it since last Christmas and lovin' it. I play guitar and banjo as well I should say I work at all three I guess you never fully arrive and then the lights go out......marcalan

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

hi marc
Glad to know I am of some use sometimes.lol
I have just started on the mandolin again this week, I keep picking it up puting it down.
But now I have sussed the strings are like a guitar but upside down, I am finding it easier to learn the single notes.
I am trying to experiment on recording on a multi trakc with guitar, vocals, mandolin with chords, mandolin with notes and the uke, I might even bang away at the bodhran.

Wife being in the house is preventing me from this right now.lol

cheers

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi ho Ken
I forgot this web site for those of us that are learning, always eh? Check out musicmoose.org  free lessons on guitar, mando, banjo etc. Anthony Hannigan is very good and I've learned alot from all the instructors...marcalan

I would try another.

Hi MArc,

I got to tel lye, This link is probably the best ever link I have ever sen on the net ( apart from chordie,lol)
For anyone wanting to learn anything, guitar,harmonica, mandolin, violin, this site really is the place to go.
I will be directing everyone to this site that needs help.

thank you very much for telling me about this site. I am going to try the harmonica and the mandolin now.

Cheers

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

No problem Brother ..checkout the advanced banjo these guys are really good..don't know if you're into blugrass or not but these instruments can take us anywhere..right on
marcalan

I would try another.

I had neck surgery a couple of years ago. Doc told me on the way home not to lift anything over 5 lbs for a couple of months. My dobro weights 8 lbs. I turned to my wife and said "I gotta buy a mandolin." I picked up a real sleeper, Bean Blossom by Morgan Monroe. His all mahogany A and F styles are among the sweetest I've heard and the price is unbelievable. I got the A style for ~ $230. I'd recommend them to anyone.

48 (edited by mickey.cole 2007-10-21 12:00:24)

hi yall i am a newbe on the mando also been at it for about 7 months
www.muicmoose.org is a grate site also www.mandolincafe.com and for
more songs you can try www.jaybuckey.com they have tab and mp3 clips

how do you change guitar tab to mandolin tab

Hi Ho Mickey,
I guess you know that chordie has a box on any particular song you choose that can be switched from guitar to number of other instruments, mando is one; banjo is there also.The chord diagrams change automatically.
Musicmoose is great I've learned alot from Anthony Hannigan...marcalan

I would try another.