Topic: What now?

Hey, I've played my acoustic for a year now.  I can do just about every chord, several scales, I've fooled around with a slide, and I've learned how to fingerpick.  I can do lots of random intros and riffs, a couple solos, a couple full-length songs, and a couple acoustic solos.  My question is, where do I go from here? I'm holding out on an electric for a few months (I'd rather get a good one than something I'll be bored with in a year), but what else can I do on my acoustic besides practice and get better? Any suggestions for songs, techniques, or styles would be apprecaited.  Thanks a lot

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

2 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-01-14 08:26:23)

Re: What now?

keep on doing what you are doing when you feel the time is right to add the electric then ask for recomendations im sure you will get a lot of suggestions on chordie,but your on the right track just keep practicing till your ready for the addition

"Growing old is not for sissies"

O6,
hi.

I have been playing for quiet a few years now and I still have no desire to go onto the electric. Just when you think you have done everything you want to something else will pop up.
Or just keep doing what you are doing. When you think you cannot get any better that is when you are not thinking right. No matter what stage you are at on a guitar, the more you play the more you improve.
So no need to change to one of those horrible electric things, acoustics sound much better lol ( waiting for all the electric guys now to tell me how wrong I am)

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Acoustics sound sweet UYK, electrics are meant to sound harsh so they cut through the drums and bass. When I was bedroom playing I settled on a clean, smooth amp sound, But even going round to a friends for a jam found I need to switch to something sharper to be heard.

Hi 06SC500, yes you're doing all the right things. With electric you may find it harder to get a sound that is right for both strumming along and soloing. (Often in rock groups the soloist hangs back making a few basic flourishes to the verses and chorus, then lets rip). You'll also find alot of extra expression can be gotten into those solos. Read alot of the Electric forum posts for advice on what to look for in an axe.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Don't take this the wrong way please. I am not trying to belittle you.

Well first of all you only know a few songs all the way through. According to your words. How can you be satisfied with that? Most people want to master an instrument.

It sounds like you want approval to get an electric guitar. If you want one go get one. That chioce is up to you. Acoustic or electric they are both a guitar. They play a little different. But 99.9% the same. I used to get a new guitar when my learning got stagnant but now I realize that  doesn't help. You have to either work through it or focus on something different and it will come to you. 

As far as you can do just about every chord. Everyone can do just about every chord but can they remember them? There are thousands and thousands of chord variations. To many for anyone to learn them all in a year.

It also seems like you have tried a few things with your guitar and now are stuck. Now that you have dabbled a little it is time to master them skills. I know that I try to prefect my playing as much as possible.

Get an electric and switch back and forth from them that might help you when your learning curve flattens out.

Good luck.

6 (edited by aj1 2008-01-15 11:06:15)

Every chord is some going in one year or do you mean all of the basic open chords.

Can you play and remember all of the chords on this chord chart - http://www.chordie.com/chords.php

Or check this out - http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/chord-chart.pdf

What do you mean by  "several scales?"

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hey, 06

Sounds like you want to be a "Jack of all trades, Master of none"...Not a Good Idea. When you can imitate Clapton, BB King or some of the other "masters" then move on!

06sc500 wrote:

Hey, I've played my acoustic for a year now.  I can do just about every chord, several scales, I've fooled around with a slide, and I've learned how to fingerpick.  I can do lots of random intros and riffs, a couple solos, a couple full-length songs, and a couple acoustic solos.  My question is, where do I go from here? I'm holding out on an electric for a few months (I'd rather get a good one than something I'll be bored with in a year), but what else can I do on my acoustic besides practice and get better? Any suggestions for songs, techniques, or styles would be apprecaited.  Thanks a lot

Hey upyerkilt,

I agree with you..I've had three electric in 40 years. Had a Les Paul Signiture, Solid Les Paul and my ES 335, which I still have. I've played it maybe 4 times a year. I'm strickly acoustic now...Why, sounds better, more versitale and even at my age, the chicks dig it!!

Take a journey over to youtube and you'll get lots of new ideas...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Go and buy your electric guitar. You can play both and learn from each of them, as long as it keeps you interested I say go for it. I have two six string acoustic electrics, a 12 string acoustic, and a solid body electric. I love to play every one of them, and every time I pick up one of my guitars I feel like I get just a little bit better. I am far from satisfied with my playing ability, there is always something to learn. You can't learn everything in one year, remember "SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE".

ebigham1 wrote:

Don't take this the wrong way please. I am not trying to belittle you.

Well first of all you only know a few songs all the way through. According to your words. How can you be satisfied with that? Most people want to master an instrument.

It sounds like you want approval to get an electric guitar. If you want one go get one. That chioce is up to you. Acoustic or electric they are both a guitar. They play a little different. But 99.9% the same. I used to get a new guitar when my learning got stagnant but now I realize that  doesn't help. You have to either work through it or focus on something different and it will come to you. 

As far as you can do just about every chord. Everyone can do just about every chord but can they remember them? There are thousands and thousands of chord variations. To many for anyone to learn them all in a year.

It also seems like you have tried a few things with your guitar and now are stuck. Now that you have dabbled a little it is time to master them skills. I know that I try to prefect my playing as much as possible.

Get an electric and switch back and forth from them that might help you when your learning curve flattens out.

Good luck.

I'm not satisfied with only knowing a few complete songs, however, it's hard to find a good song that's just one big guitar solo.  And it's very hard to find an enitre song on a webiste like this one.  I would prefer to have tabs that I cna play along to a CD with, not chords to strum along.  I don't mean to say that I'm bored because I've mastered acoustic guitar, no way.  Anyway, thansk everyone for the ideas and advice.  I am going to get an electric in a few months, but I'll still play my acoustic a lot.  Right now I'm just bored of the same sound and songs.  When I get an electric I'll play for a while, then I'll want to go back onto the old acoustic.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

06sc500 wrote:

I'm not satisfied with only knowing a few complete songs, however, it's hard to find a good song that's just one big guitar solo.  And it's very hard to find an enitre song on a webiste like this one.  I would prefer to have tabs that I cna play along to a CD with, not chords to strum along.  I don't mean to say that I'm bored because I've mastered acoustic guitar, no way.  Anyway, thansk everyone for the ideas and advice.  I am going to get an electric in a few months, but I'll still play my acoustic a lot.  Right now I'm just bored of the same sound and songs.  When I get an electric I'll play for a while, then I'll want to go back onto the old acoustic.

I get it.

This might seem a little counter intuitive, but quit trying to learn to play songs, and start trying to learn to play the guitar.

Study theory until you understand it.  You'll know you understand it when learning to play songs is no longer a problem, and you can learn any song you like, as well as write your own.

Scales.  Chord progressions.  Scales.  Chord progressions.  Learn how they relate to each other, and you'll be fine.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

14 (edited by texan4ut 2008-01-15 22:49:07)

06sc500 wrote:

Here is what I did for what it is worth. Last summer I went to a Jimmy Buffett concert in Frisco, Texas. I had a blast with all of the Parrot Heads sitting in the parking lot partying and player guitars. Always wanted to learn. Was in a Sam's Club and saw a Fender Acoustic Electric Starcaster for $129.00 and bought it. I thought Fender Starcasters were a good brand so I thought it was a great deal. Lo and behold Stratocaster is the buzz word, which I thought of when I bought (good marketing ploy on Fender's part). Took home and starting trying to learn. Followed the DVD that came with it and learned 3 chords. At this point various web sites as well as friends recommended an electric as it would be easier to learn to play since the Fender Acoustic was not that good of quality and hard to play even with good strings. Went on Craigslist found a Fender Squire Strat then bought an inexpensive Crate amp on Craigslist. I do not know if it was easier because it was an electric or because I had some practice but it still was hard to play. I then went to a guitar lesson and was given advice to the effect I needed to buy a good quality Acoustic guitar. I went out and bought a Seagull S6 Cedar Top Acoustic $331.00. I really love this guitar and after buying it I have progressed nicely in a month and half.  Bottom line is if I had bought a good guitar to start I would be farther along, the electric didn't really change anything as far as my play. I have since sold it and the amp. Although I am new to playing I too get bored with the same chords that I need to practice and the same scales I need to practice so when I get bored I try something beyond my current skill level just for the hell of it. I am working on finger picking from time to time. I look at chord charts with these terribly hard finger placements and try and play it even though I have yet to find a song that that chord is in. I like old country and old stuff like the Eagles, however I have tried a few blues type stuff just to give me a break from the same old routine even though I can't really play it or am really not that interested in it.  If I ever get really good I am going for a really good quality Acoustic Electric. I think that would be nice.

Good luck on your playing. I hope an electric helps you with your boredom and playing, it just really didn't help me that much.

Maury

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

jerome.oneil wrote:
06sc500 wrote:

I get it.

This might seem a little counter intuitive, but quit trying to learn to play songs, and start trying to learn to play the guitar.

Study theory until you understand it.  You'll know you understand it when learning to play songs is no longer a problem, and you can learn any song you like, as well as write your own.

Scales.  Chord progressions.  Scales.  Chord progressions.  Learn how they relate to each other, and you'll be fine.

You've hit the nail right on the head Jerome.

Using other people's transcriptions to learn songs parrot fashion seems rewarding at first but soon becomes boring.

Taking the next step to transcribe a song by ear or make up your own song is the biggy and as you say, learning the relationship between scales and chord progressions is imperative.

In my humble opinion, you're not a real musician until you can at least transcribe a song or play along with someone else without being told what to play.

If you really want to become a guitarist there's no question of ever getting bored. Theres so much to learn.

Always try something new and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE until you've cracked it, then try something else and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE until you've cracked it, then try something else and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE until you've cracked it, then ................................

here is an idea - its one i do for myself and have learned a bit from it . i find old songs from the 20s - 30s and 40s . the chords and changes are often very hard. it really made me appreciate how good some of those guys were . it also adds a lot more to your overall learning . its one thing doing the modern stuff ( which i always did ) but another trying to see if you can compete with those guys .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

evsynator wrote:

here is an idea - its one i do for myself and have learned a bit from it . i find old songs from the 20s - 30s and 40s . the chords and changes are often very hard. it really made me appreciate how good some of those guys were . it also adds a lot more to your overall learning . its one thing doing the modern stuff ( which i always did ) but another trying to see if you can compete with those guys .

There you go, there's always something to learn.

18 (edited by Zurf 2008-01-16 19:22:55)

Well, my suggestion is to stop playing chords and scales and your guitar and start playing songs ON your guitar.  Sing too.  Even if you suck at it.  It's more funnerer if you sing.

- Zurf

edit: looks like I'm just directly opposite someone else's advice.  Ooops.  Well, advice is free for a reason.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Sounds like you have done it all....

Except PLAY WITH OTHERS!!
Try that, I guarantee it will re-ignite the forest-fire of interest and love.
And who knows...you may get a good guyfriend or girlfriend out of it!

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

as previously stated on here i find YOU TUBE  to be an inspiration . one guy in particular to me is FRETKILLER who ( this is just me of course ) shows in his videos that songs old and new can be done in a variety of styles and also close up of how he does it . and its all done in accoustic . ( but dont expect to see his face - lol ) . there are other guys who do the odd song here and there but as i say - he is the one that has given me inspiration to keep with accoustic only .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

21 (edited by flester 2008-01-17 12:31:33)

I reached the same point  and instead of learning a new technique or style, getting a new guitar etc, I decided just learn more songs/tunes - be able to play lots of them from start to finish without thinking about it or looking at notes, as suggested by others above. Every time I go to the music library I hear a song that I'd like to play. It's easy to do and very cheap - with chordie and other sites you don't even have to buy song books.

here is something you can do. check out andy Mckee and then try what he's doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt1fB62cGbo

tell me what you think

23 (edited by evsynator 2008-01-25 08:59:04)

thanks LILLIEPOP - great link and i was gobsmacked by the harp guitar he plays as well.