Topic: New to Chordie

Hi i am new to chordie. I know a lot of chords and how to read them. I cant figure out how to play songs though because none of the songs on chordie show the strum patterns. Please help me in figuring out how this is done.

P.s. Chordie Rocks.

Re: New to Chordie

Welcome to Chordie KBblake7! I suggest you search the forum for topics on strum patterns and you will find numerous topics and suggestions. This is most definitely a FAQ smile . Here's a link to a search I just did:

http://www.chordie.com/forum/search.php … =750053775

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

KB strum patterns are based on the same rythmic patterns a drummer uses keep in mind a guitar is part of the rhythem section for that reason to contribute in addition to the sounds and melodies it creates

"Growing old is not for sissies"

KBblake7 wrote:

Hi i am new to chordie. I know a lot of chords and how to read them. I cant figure out how to play songs though because none of the songs on chordie show the strum patterns. Please help me in figuring out how this is done.

P.s. Chordie Rocks.

Strumming pattern diagrams are available to view and study but honestly the best way to figure out a desired pattern is to tear into the song and do your own thing with it. Listen, without talking to anyone, to the guitar part in the song you wish to learn. Too many people hear songs without actually listening to them, there's a huge difference. Concentration, and mental absorption, note by note, measure by measure, song by song, will eventually come to you. Who knows, maybe you'll create a whole new style of music....................

Give everything but up.

Thanks for all the help and advice. I appreciate it!!!

SouthPaw41L wrote:
KBblake7 wrote:

P.s. Chordie Rocks.

Strumming pattern diagrams are available to view and study but honestly the best way to figure out a desired pattern is to tear into the song and do your own thing with it. Listen, without talking to anyone, to the guitar part in the song you wish to learn. Too many people hear songs without actually listening to them, there's a huge difference. Concentration, and mental absorption, note by note, measure by measure, song by song, will eventually come to you. Who knows, maybe you'll create a whole new style of music....................

Great advice. Use your own strumming pattern and create an interesting version of a song.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I look in the beginners song section and I cant find anything that I can play. I am so new to this. On one web site I found a way to play Horse with no name(2 Chords) and I am still messing with that- I will take all the help I can get

hello keg i think you will find love is all around by the trogs a good beginnners tune to play sing along as you go no matter how slowly you play it,but please dont give up it may take a few months to get to where you want to be but believe me its worth the effort. chordie and the people who frequent it are a rich sorce of help and encoragement so keep asking for help, you will get it.

I appreciate your help. I have had my guitar for a little under a month. Maybe I am rushing things.

wow- This Troggs song will be great. I had to go to Rhapsody and here it, now I am haveing fun with it. I may be hooked on this site now. THANK YOU THANK YOU. big_smile

Hey.. Just a thought.  I found it easier to let loose and strum if you put the pick down.  Don't know if you are using one but 5 fingers provide a lot more nuances that a pick does.  Have fun!

yea l agree drop the pick and stum with your fingers

Are you able to tap yore foot in time with the music? If so then you are strumming. Just place a pick between yore toe's, bend way over and get started playing. Seriously, strumming is just a matter of keeping time with the music. Listen and you can hear a "beat to the song;

1...2....3....4.....1 or

1...2....&....3.....&.....4.....&....1 or

some other similar pattern.

Use your ears to listen, count in your head to the "beat" and the strum pattern will come to you.
Now PRACTICE!!!!!!

1 = down strum
& = up strum

Nela

KEG,
If you want to start out with something simple, just tyoe in 3 chords.
If you want a few let me know, I've got some in my songbook.
Don't worry about patterns right now, this is for learning your chords. Create your own pattern. Sometimes just by playing around with it the patterns will come, but if they don't just have fun.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

Thanks everyone for all your help. I now have several songs that I am working on. A little Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Some Credence, The Doors, and Crosby Stills and Nash. My wife thought I had wasted my money on the guitar and that it would sit in a corner somewhere but I have played at least a half hour every night for a month now, and I love it.
  Thanks again.
  P.S. Whoever invented the F chord and put it into so many songs should be shot

Hey Key...If you think F is bad, just wait.  There are things like B7 and other delights coming your way.  I encourage you to keep working on that F though because as you can tell from the # of times its used...it's important.  If you are getting a little impatient, however, you can use a "cheater chord."  If you are changing fast into or from another chord you can just use the first part of the F (your first finger) and press across both the 1st and 2nd string.  No one will care as long as you only strum those two strings and omit the base notes. 

If any of  you are purists and I have ranckled your feathers.... just forget you read this.

The "F" and "B7" chords are not the bad boys. Now you take a "B" chord or any of the "A" shaped barre chords - they'll get you cussing real easy. BUT the "A" shaped barre chords play so good off an "E" shaped barre chord in a 1....4....5 progerssion that they are worth practice.

nela

Why do the songs in my song book change by themselves?

Someone posted this link awhile back on strumming and I bookmarked it  http://www.grouptherapy.guernsey.net/strumming.html   If you scroll down a bit you get to the actual patterns for the songs and an mp3 audio sample to carry you through the patterns.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]