Topic: So I'm picking up the banjo...

So my bro had this brand new banjo he never plays, and he was wantin to buy my old clarinet, but decided we could trade instead. So I wanna learn how to play, so far this is about all I know: Its tuned to open G....
I play the guitar and a little mandolin so I can pick up on strings pretty quickly usually just wondering if anybody had tips for a beginner...
Thanks in advance,
LR

All You Need is Love smile

Re: So I'm picking up the banjo...

Hi lastrebel,I do not have a bango or know much about them. If I had one I would start out with dueling bangos from the movie Deliverance.I play it on guitar and I do the bango part by picking it at the bottom of the strings.You might check out some Roy Clark songs also.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I was under the impression you play it with one of those finger deals you use on slide guitar, (which would make sense I guess since its an open chord tuning), but thats about all I know....
and yeah Roy Clark's a good one to listen to. I've been checking out alot of bluegrass music here lately just listening to the banjo parts...
Thanks again,
LR

All You Need is Love smile

Hi LR - check out the below link for a few beginner tutorials on the banjo.

http://www.ezfolk.com/tabs-tutorials/ta … rials.html

Hope it helps!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

5 (edited by mixter102 2008-05-21 05:30:15)

It is kind of in open G,  but don't use a slide.

another great site for beginers is

www.musicmoose.org

Topdown thanks heaps for the link.
Like the thread starter I have just got a banjo and am learning to play. I can play guitar fine but really want to learn the banjo. (and yes I know all the jokes)
Its something I would to sit out the back of my house when I retire and play.

7 (edited by marcalan 2008-07-30 13:15:11)

Last Rebel...about time you do this..banjo is a very fun insrument to play, easy on the fingers and chords are not too difficult..three styles of playing to choose or do maybe many variarions as well ie. Bela Fleck...old timey claw hammer very good when done correctly like my teacher back in North Carolina, Scrugs style three finger picking, good  ol' Irrish as well but you probably have a 5 string no problem..check out   http://www.musicmoose.org/  very good instruction by some great players and of course it's FREE..I'll help any way i can..let me know..also one last thing ,,find a place to hole up to practise its what banjo players call shedding fiddlers know this as well..its due to the tolerance level of others..Good luck my friend glad to see someone else with the guts to be a   BANJO PLAYER  ..marcalan
oops didnt catch the link allready given sorry so what I agree

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

LR,
   This is a somewhat off topic but I think you'll find it interesting;

http://www.deeringbanjos.com/6string.htm

Give everything but up.

Can't play a sad song on a Banjo...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

G'day Rebel,

If your weapon is a 5 string, do what I didn't do - learn tablature. Theres a few good sites you can get the basics try:

www.banjohangout.org look in the lessons area. A goldmine

I played guitar for 15 years before I picked up a banjo and it didn't do me any good - it's a totally different animal but once you can competently knock out a song or 2 you'll be addicted.
Hope you stick with it - the world needs banjo players.

Ned Kelly67

Oh Darlin' put that thing down.... please!   Nedkelly67 is right, those things are ADDICTIVE! 

A musical friend of mine played one.  Started out as a halfway decent guitarist, dinked around with a little uke now and then, but nothing serious.  We started getting concerned when we found him plunking on a mandolin back of the barn one evening.  Then he wandered in with this really nice 5 string banjo that he found at an estate sale.  Went everywhere with him... even rode in the trunk when he drove his little sister to College up in Spokane.  The Volvo puked a water pump around Pendelton and he wound up riding the grey-dog home accidently leaving his beloved locked in the repair garage with the car.
  We darn near had to do an "intervention" and put him in rehab over the three weeks it took to get the car fixed and retrieve it! LOL

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare