Topic: NOT ONLY PLECTRUMS

I, make a difference between guitar players, strumming, and those who play finger picking.
I am jealous. I play acoustic, using a plectrum, or pick.
What fascinates me is the fact that a certain % of players use a coin, like 1 cent or 20 cent to play.
It sounds to METALLIC for me, or am I wrong?
A long time ago, before the "synthetic" picks, a lot of players used a piece of the shell of a turtle.
Are there still guitar players using a turtle pick.
What also works is to cut out of an expired bank card, a kind of pick.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: NOT ONLY PLECTRUMS

I used a penny for a little while, but it wore out my strings way too fast. The sound is a bit different and I too agree that it sounds metallic.

I typically use heavy Fender picks, but occasionally I try using other objects just to play around with different sounds.

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

I've used the corners of credit cards , cut detergent bottles, pennies. Never cared for the sound a coin gives, and the credit cards are a bit stiff. Somebody told me you could use a toothpick but I've never tried it, just din't sound like a good idea to me.
I'm straight dunlops now, usually a .50 or .63

All You Need is Love smile

I'm like you Doc. Totally jealous of people who can finger pick. I usaully end up banging away with my pick after giving up in despair. I like a bit of bend (but not too much) in my picks. I use Wedgies which are nicely shaped with a cool wee indent for you thumb. Very comfortable and easy to hold.

I have, however, in the past few weeks resolved to practice finger picking more and have seen a huge improvement, although still not competent. I'll keep trying though, cos it is so so cool.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hi doc!
I have noticed another thing about picks. Seems like different guitars demands different picks (at least when I'm playing). I own 3 guitars now and have moved from a noname cheap guitar via a 200 euro Tanglewood and now playing a 500 euro Takamine. In my case I have used lighter and lighter picks. First I thought that it was my progress that made this difference, but when I tuned up my noname the other night I played it a bit and imedeately felt I had to change to a harder pick to get the right feel. Anyone else felt this?

You are all right about those damn fingerpickers. They rule... I've tried and tried but I can't nail it. Seems my biggest problem is to get my brain to nail the pick pattern (meltdown even on easy left hand patterns) and then there is the problem to get a nice tone when you've eaten all your nails down...

/Missen

If you love what you do, there's no need to be good at it...

Go to youtube and search Jerry Donahue, Chet Atkins, and Brent Mason...look at those guys fingerpicking with a thumbpick...it's awesome!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Thanks a lot. I try more and more to "something similar to finger picking", in combination with strumming.
I, so people tell me, play guitar pretty well. This might be true but I am not satisfied.
I regret now the fact that I never took guitar class, and even worse, that I left music school, just because I don't like theory, hating all theories.
Rebel, I did the same thing, cut 2-3 plectrums from a creditcard.
Slowly I start to learn more and more finger picking.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Do you mean with finger picks or with  just your fingers???

cuz I can finger pick with just my fingers really well, mostly cuz I play classical as well as acoustic, but I have a hard time with picking usually. I'm getting better at it, but.... yeah.
Does anyone have any tips???

To reach out with your hands/ See the world through your eyes/ To live with the love of the savior/ To feel with your heart/ And think with your mind/I'd give my last breath for your glory!!!

When I first started picking I held the pick way too tightly trying not to drop it, but when I loosened up and relaxed it got alot easier. Balance it firmly but gently, and just relax and go with it, the rythym is a little different but you'll catch on to that pretty easily. I play using a pick AND picking with my fingers by balncing the pick between my thumb and index finger, and picking notes with my middle, ring, and pinky fingers. This allows you to do a combination of strumming and fingerpicking, and to switch between the two,

All You Need is Love smile

I finger pick smile although it's not very complex, mostly repetitive patterns. i've also become quite used to using a pick for the bass notes and my pinky, ring and middle for the higher pitched notes (works great for songs like green days "wake me up when september ends", and REM's Drive)

I found a beautiful oyster shell on a beach last summer, it was somewhat pick shaped. i only use it every once in a while, because i'm afraid it'll damage the strings. but it's great for jimmy buffet songs when performing wink

::kori::

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

I also fingerpick,sometimes with a thumbpick and sometimes I go all flesh which I like alot although sometimes you need more volume, I also use a pick and my 3rd and 4th finger to pick with.  When I started I used a simple thumb 2,3,4 pattern and just stayed on a D chord until i didnt have to think about the pattern.Finger picking is not that hard but like all guitar stuff takes some persistance. Repetitive patterns arent all bad,the more you play you will find yourself picking strumming and your ear will become better to embellish chords and sound great.Thanks Wayne

Later, Wayne P

I've been using some pretty stiff picks but happened across some real soft picks the other day.  I decided that I like those now. 

Mostly I play fingerstyle though.  Some songs both ways, some just one or the other.  None well.  All fun.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

i can not get used to useing a plectrum at all,i strum useing the nail on my index finger i manage well enough and try to avoid any music that requires a capo from the third fret downover,as this makes the strings so taught it causes my finger to split.i am now learning to use my other fingers to strum so if i do damage my index finger i can carry on playing till it repaires its self.

With a clean tone, I pluck the strings. With effects, it's usually a pick. No idea why, probably just physcological.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

I can play with my fingers = a little "fingerpicking" I also try play this style, but for a short while.
About plectrums, for me the best picks are Dunlops. I always use a .73. It fits me well. You  can play, strum and create a lot of noise on an acoustic. In fact I think it's all about the sound. The thicker they are, the louder the sound and if you use light-medium strings a lot of strings will die in the fight with your hand + pick.
They have really thin picks like a white .38. I've got one, but another brand, and no nylon. Using this = very soft and almost a "silent-like" sound. If not nylon it breaks real fast.

I love reading about all these styles!  I use my fingers on a couple songs, but for the most part I'm a pick guy all the way--a lot of the stuff we do I want volume so I bash the strings around pretty good--broke two picks on one song last weekend I'm proud to say!

I do a little of both. When I finger, I like to use a thumb pick to really thump it. A friend of mine (who has since moved back to Germany) had a thumb pick with which he could strum. It had a very narrow pick area, and was separated (split-like) where it joined the thumb so that it didn't fly off of his thumb on the upstroke.

Pretty cool pick, I need to find one...

Just play

I would love to finger pick, but alas to early in the game for it as i'm still struggling to learn my first song. When I started doing a big of research on what guitar I wanted to buy and the different woods that are used I stumbled across this site that makes picks out of exotic woods .. Thought you guys might be interested smile

http://www.woodenpicks.com/

19 (edited by brainsaladsurgeon 2008-05-21 14:35:10)

I'm with guitaardocphil...I use dunlops 0.78 when I use a pick. BUT GUESS WHAT! I went to a nail salon a few weeks ago and had extensions added to my thunb, 1st and 2nd nail. Clumsy at first, but now I am totally playing and strumming  with these three fingers. Mostly strumming with the index finger and finding the bass notes with my thumb.  I'm doing some fingerpicking rolls that sound nice too. 

..see the August 2006 edition of Acoustic Guiter if you have any questions www.acousticguitar.com

I'm ready to throw the picks away! Oh, wait! I may need to keep them around for when I play my electric. I've not had that much sucess there. It sounds really "plunky" there. And, oh geez when I play my bass, I get really bad "double picks." I really gotta work on that. Eh, we'll see.

peace,
dw

Yeah, I said my dog doesn't bite, but that's not my dog.

20 (edited by SixStringSlayer 2008-05-23 00:51:14)

How do you get enough volume with fingerpicking.  My technique is okay, but it's just not loud enough.  This can be solved on my electric, for the volume knob, but my acoustic is not so audible.  Any suggestions?

Keep shreding

I use a Dunlop 73 Tortex - the yellows - the beauty about these is that they are not too thick, but are very rigid, returning to their original shape quicker than other picks.

I just love flat picking guitar, particularly cross picking. Fingerpicking just seems too flat a sound. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but bluegrass pickers seem to do it all. If you haven't already checked them out, look at

Tony Rice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JFgC3Ub … re=related

Chris Eldridge ( and a couple of others ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s8Mmc69CP8

Finally for the best in flatpicking check out the Mandolin players.

Here's Chris Thile with Brian Sutton on Guitar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URQ9zDi2uEs

Or just search youtube for Bluegrass Guitar.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

just din't sound like a good idea to me.     

How do you get enough volume with fingerpicking.  My technique is okay, but it's just not loud enough