Topic: Gibson? Martin? Taylor?

Hello all... I have a question in regards to my purchasing a new acoustic. I have an Ibanez acoustic electric (my first guitar) that I have been playing for a long while now. I am looking to make a bigger purchase... My first thought was a martin, but to be honest I really do not know what the differance is between some of these higher end guitars.  I won't be making the purchase for a little while, just doing my research right now...

also, I am left handed...any southpaws out there with any advice would be great

Re: Gibson? Martin? Taylor?

Don't buy it unless you've played it.  Take some time, play them all, and buy the one you like.

They're all fine instruments.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Buy one of each, you know it makes sense.

From what I've seen, the more expensive models have more "bells and whistles" ... but that's from the Electric Guitar perspective ... but I agree with Jerome, try them out before you buy ... you might be suprised that even the cheapest guitar will sound beautiful

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

I agree that you should play as many models as you can and see which one appeals to you the most. I'm partial to Martins but that's because I have a long history with them. I have a Martin 16 GTE that's a really nice acoustic electric. Doesn't have near the acoustic projection as other Martins, but I play it mostly in church while plugged in...has a great sound!

Taylors and Gibsons are also outstanding instruments. I can ever afford it then my next acoustic will be a Gibson CJ-165...played a couple and just fell in love with it.

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

All the high end guitars are well built from good quality wood.  What you need is a guitar that suits your playing style, your preferred genre, fits your hands, and sounds good to your ear. 

Buy a Gibson, a Taylor, a Martin, or several other high end guitars, and you're going to get a good guitar no matter what.  BUT you may not get a guitar SUITED TO YOUR PURPOSE.  This is why folks are suggesting only to purchase a guitar after playing it.  And play it the way you play it!  Don't go in and strum a few times on something that you intend to fingerpick.  Go and PLAY IT.  If the dealer is afraid you'll scratch it or something, find a different dealer.  OK to take precautions against scratching of course, use a blanket or an apron to prevent buckles or needless scratching, but you need to be able to play the instrument in your style and on your terms.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

My advice would be to not limit yourself to just the higher end guitars, Martin, Taylor etc... Look at some of the less expensive models that come up on this site. I own two Martins but on a dollar for value and playablitiy I really think my Seagull, at one tenth the price, is a better deal, not a better guitar but dollar for dollar a better deal.

The other advice I would give is to really look at getting an acoustic that has an electric hook up. If you are spending money on a high end guitar you may hesitate to put holes in it in the future. This, of course, depends on how you plan to use your guitar but in my case I have decided I need to use an amp at gigs but I refuse to drill any holes in Martin. I now have to decide whether to just mike the guitar or get another acoustic with a hook up on it.

when you consider that you can buy three perfectly good budget brand guitars with different characteristics (say a dreadnought, a 12 string and an electro/acoustic) for the price of one lower end Taylor/Gibson/Martin - it might give you pause for thought.

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

as an aussie who plays a martin and larrivee - both excellent guitars with very different characteristics - I agree its essential to find and play the guitar that suits your style of playing.  As an alternative to american made guitars, there is an auussie maker called Maton who make great guitars but not nearly as expensive as martins, gibsons etc.  Tommy Emmanuelle plays Maton guitars.

Don't forget Yamaha either. smile
I played a £400 Yamaha acoustic just before I bought my Cort acoustic...if I'd had the cash I would have had the Yamaha.
Maybe next time.

I play my Old 1974 Takamine F310 alot, I take it outside,also my Takamine F385 12 string. But when I wanta get serious I get out My Martin 12X1 12 string, or my Martin 00C-16DB or my 414CE Taylor. All are good Guitars! Donnie!

2007 Gibson Les Paul 2004 Gibson Les Paul 2008 Gibson Explorer
2006 Martin D12X1 1999 Martin OOC-16DB 2004 Taylor 414ce
2008 Gretsch G 5122,1977 F385 Takamine,1975 F310 Takamine
Peavey Valve King VK 212 Fender DEC Jr.

I have 2 Martins, D-28 and D-15, and a Fender acoustic.  I like them all, D-28 is like an old lover.  I also have a Sigma!  With the Sigma, you get the Martin pedigree without the Martin price.  No longer manufactured as of 2007 but if you find one grab it.  I will be.

You can go a pay $10,000.00 for the top of the line guitar and that will not make you play any better. Figure out your style of playing, set a dollar amount you want to spend (and can afford), don't get in a hurry, and try out everything you can get your hands on. There's good quality out there in most major brands and you would not go wrong with any of them. Pick out something that suits you and be happy. I can still play my $750.00 Takamine right next to a Martin and KNOW I'm getting just as good a sound.

Nela

I'm partial to Taylors but the best advice is to choose the one that feels just right in your hands. And it could be from any one of those three brands.

Here's part of the endless argument, but it's pointless to take sides as, like I say, it boils down to that one guitar that speaks to you:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru … -1927.html

I reckon you cant go wrong With a Taylor i just bought a 214 and its the bomb, love its slightly jangly sound and the neck and fretboard are silky smooth.

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez

I would consider a Martin D-18VS.  It is a 12 fret slot head that is very easy to play.  This particular guitar is built with a slope shoulder and is easy to hold and comfortable.  A very versatile little guitar that handles all styles well.  I've been playing for almost 50 years off and on and have owned most every brand out there.  Good luck....much of the fun is in the quest.

Clarence

well i think the guys r absoulty rite...you gotta buy somthin yu r comfotable with....it dosent matter wat guitar yu buy...dont see the big names....i use pluto acoustic guitar...which has recently come in to the world of guitars....i even dont know how many of yu have even heard of that name!!

If your talking about buying a quality made guitar for an affordable price,I have three words that will help. BREEDLOVE-BREEDLOVE BREEDLOVE.

I always look in many pawn shops for an acoustic guitar. There are lots to try out because guitars are a frequently pawned item.
I would prefer a beat up guitar that plays well to a pretty looking one.
I found a Kent classical guitar for my sister that looked new and played like a dream. Kent is usually a dog but this one was really special. Sometimes even an offbrand guitar has it together.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Yes, consider a BREEDLOVE. My new Breedlove AC25 Black Magic is better then I ever imagined it could be. It's acoustic/electric and has an on-board tuner!  It's not as big as a dreadnaught body like my Yamaha FG180 (manufactured in 1965) but the sound is big.  I had purchased a Martin CXE which is also small, but was extremely disappointed in it. Turned out to have bad intonation from the beginning so Guitar Center took it back and gave me full credit plus they discounted the Breedlove another $100 to compensate my inconvenience.

Tibernius wrote:

Don't forget Yamaha either. smile
I played a £400 Yamaha acoustic just before I bought my Cort acoustic...if I'd had the cash I would have had the Yamaha.
Maybe next time.

Don't get me started!

LOVE YAMAHA!

I tried some more expensive makes and was dissapointed with them all. Tried my Yamaha and fell totally in love with it.

Just shows you..... always (always always) try the guitar you are buying.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??