Topic: hot dog - Hot Dog - HOT DOG!!!

After however long, I am FINALLY getting the idea of barre chords!  I was just playing through Wild World, which requires a lot of changes from G to F.  I got to thinking, gosh there's a nice long pause before the G but none before the F, why don't I just play the F a couple frets up for the G when I've got the time to get in position and slide on down to the F when I need it nice and quick-like.

Yeah, that's right, I played a barre chord WHEN I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO just to make the song "easier."  And it didn't sound as muddy as the Mississippi either (speaking of the Mississippi - I hope our Chordians in America's mid-west are avoiding complete disaster with the flooding). 

Anyway, that had me pretty stoked (the barre chord use not the flooding, the flooding sucks).  I may attempt a "B" just for the heck of it.  Naaaaah.  No need to get carried away. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: hot dog - Hot Dog - HOT DOG!!!

Poor ole "Herchels" doomed to light them fires forever more!! lol

Well done Sir!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

ZurF, Try to play in the key of "G" - chords G - C  & D as barre chords.

Barre 3rd fret w/index finger and form E chord with middle, ring & pinky for the G chord

Double barre w/index finger 3rd fret and ring finger barring (A formation) 5th fret for the C chord.

Slide this double barre down 2 whole frets for the D chord. This is so simple. So why do I have problems getting back from my D barre chord to the G barre chord. I guess more practice is needed.

Nela

Thanks NELA, but that double barre doesn't work for me.  I smashed my ring finger but good with a hammer and absolutely obliterated that knuckle.  It bends forward, but it just won't bend back enough to do that second barre.  I have to do the A shapes with middle, pinky, ring fingers.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

Yeah, that's right, I played a barre chord WHEN I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO just to make the song "easier."

Barre's make your life easier man.  Most people don't understand that until they actually play it.

Well done!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

AAAHH Barre chords the pain in the ass to every would  be guitar player,i have been playing Acoustic for 7 months therefore i now have to learn to play the guitar properly and Barre chords proved a pain,the way i find to learn really quick is to play every song within reason useing Barre chords even if its a simple GAD open chord tune even if it doesnt require it,another method i used was swapping between open and barre for 5mins set on a stop watch e g open G barre A open C barre F and so on over and over again every day eventually it's second nature.Having said that i still have trouble with switching to Gmaj7 the 4 fingered voicing,due to my inexperience i've only just started to come across this chord more regularly so i shall follow the same learning pattern.RnR

i wish i could play like jimi hendrix

Good man getting your barres down.
And go on, attempt that "B", it wont seem as scary big_smile

Ben

It's not how well you play... It's how much effort you put into the playing

Congrats Zurf!

and just slide your F shape down to the seventh fret for your B & then you don't even have to worry about the A shape.

With the barre's a whole new world opens up--flat's, sharps, sevenths, minors just got a whole lot easier!

the bar chord "light bulb" moment... awesome. Open chords have their place but once you've done the bar chord thing lots of songs that seemed unplayable because of hard open chord switches become a piece of cake!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Zurf wrote:

After however long, I am FINALLY getting the idea of barre chords!  I was just playing through Wild World, which requires a lot of changes from G to F.  I got to thinking, gosh there's a nice long pause before the G but none before the F, why don't I just play the F a couple frets up for the G when I've got the time to get in position and slide on down to the F when I need it nice and quick-like.

Yeah, that's right, I played a barre chord WHEN I DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO just to make the song "easier."  And it didn't sound as muddy as the Mississippi either (speaking of the Mississippi - I hope our Chordians in America's mid-west are avoiding complete disaster with the flooding). 

Anyway, that had me pretty stoked (the barre chord use not the flooding, the flooding sucks).  I may attempt a "B" just for the heck of it.  Naaaaah.  No need to get carried away. 

- Zurf

Zurf,

Now learn them indifferent neck positions (example B at the 2rd fret position and 7th fret position) this will help you knowing different key positions instead of having to slide up and or down the neck.

Bootlegger.

bootleger wrote:

Zurf,

Now learn them indifferent neck positions (example B at the 2rd fret position and 7th fret position) this will help you knowing different key positions instead of having to slide up and or down the neck.

Bootlegger.

I'll just revel in this for a while, but that's a good goal for sure.  I'm doing this for personal entertainment.  My business life is filled with precision, study, and pressure.  I approach the guitar as the thing that doesn't have to be precise or pressured in my life. 

- Zurf