Topic: Classical and Acoustic Guitars

I have been teaching myself guitar for the past few months and it's coming along well. The only problem is I have been using my good quality classical guitar which i tried to learn a few years ago when I was 11/12 (I didn't like my teacher or the songs i had to play and didn't even like fingerpicking) but I recently found out that I really shouldn't be strumming nylon strings.

I have (understandably) feminine hands and have been finding it difficult to play barre chords, could this be because of the wider neck?

I could probably afford a new guitar as long as it isn't very expensive, is it nessisary that I buy an acoustic guitar?

Any advice about what I should be doing, and possibly which guitar I should purchase, would be very much appreciated.

Re: Classical and Acoustic Guitars

Well for strumming i would buy an acoustic. I think it sounds more classical and well, much better than strumming on an electric. but, like all things, playing certain chords just mean more practice of them will make them perfect

Welcome to chordie Katherine.
I would, if I were you,by an acoustic guitar.There are many inexpensive quality guitars out there.I would advise and acoustic simply because they are a lot of fun playing and you can take them any where.Classical guitars are meant for the music that the name implies.You just don't see too many of them around a roaring campfire.You sound a lot like me when it came to learning...Just show me something I can have fun with.So now I am self taught,have a blast playing but don't know a lick of theory.
Barre chords are gonna hurt learning but it's worth it.
I'm sure someone here knows a good guitar to suggest for you.

Hope this helps smile
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

i suggest a Hondo. its the acoustic i use, it was only 400, and it was well worth it. it hasnt let me down

5 (edited by mixter102 2008-07-09 16:52:25)

If you want to stick with a Nylon String guitar you might want to check out the Ibanez line,  I find they have thinner necks, sound realy good, and are reasonably priced. Steel string accoustics generaly have thiner necks,  but will require more strengh to fret,  beginers may need a few weeks to build up finger strenth and callouses.  Electrics are easyer to play, but need an amp as well.  It depends on what, and how you play, as to what is best for you.   If you want to play for friends at parties or campouts, an accoustic will be better.  If you want to join a band and rock out, get an electric.

I would suggest playing as many different guitars as you can before buying.  every brand is a little different, as to sound and comfort for playing, what is good for someone else, may be compleatly wrong for you.

PS  there is realy no problem with strumming a nylon string guitar,  If its good enough for Willie Nelson, it's good enough for me,

My vote is for a Simon & Patrick or Seagull.  Canadian guitars, the sound has much more depth and character than most guitars in the 300-400 range. 
Check out the closeout's and scratch & dents from the big on line stores too--you can pick up great deals there if you know what you want.
Have fun!

So far everyone has been really helpfull and given me some good advice. Does  anyone know where I should buy an acoustic guitar. Should I risk buying online, or I could go to my local guitar shop, but they always look a bit surprised that a 16 year old girl is in their shop (so they might not take me seriously). Also, does anybody how much it should cost in GB£.

Katherine

Definitely go to the local guitar store and try them out ... Also, they usually sell starter acoustic packages and include an amp as well (sometimes under about 150 quid) ... I've seen them here in the states going for $199 and that includes the guitar, picks, a 15 watt amp, carrying bag, etc

If you have the money though, I'd suggest going in the store and trying different ones and seeing which one your drawn to ... I like Ibanez and Takamine myself ...

And whatever you do, don't buy a guitar on LOOKS alone smile  Play one and it will talk to you and make your heart smile ... that's the one you should buy

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Solid advise from Tim0473.Take your time in the shops and try them all out if you want to.If you show the store owner respect when playing he won't mind at all letting you play them all.Don't be afraid to ask the owner any questions."No such a thing as a stupid question"He wants to build a relationship with you so you can become a valued customer.When you find a guitar that you fancy   than get some more advice on that guitar from all your friends here at chordie before buying it.
I would buy a guitar,capo,tuner,strap and a good case before I bought an amp,but thats just me.
Hope that helps
Kenny smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

If you can take an experienced guitarist with you, a pawn shop may have a nice guitar really cheap.
Go for playability over looks.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Good advice from all...Please don't buy online unless you've determined exactly what you want. I think it's best to take, or meet with, an experienced player that can go to a store with you and play several different guitars. What works best for me might not be the best for you... I would avoid the so called "starter" packages...many of those guitars are cheap and almost unusable. There is a tremendous variety of guitars available and price isn't always the best factor...I've seen guitars costing over a $1000.00 that played and sounded badly and have also seen some for $200.00 that were great! Alverez, Takamine, Jasime, Ibanez, Yamaha, are examples of fine Asian made guitars...Fender and Ephiphone also has some reasonably priced and decent quality import models...I've seen and played some Canadian made Seagulls that are outstanding values...

When my daughter turned sixteen, she wanted an electric for her birthday...she had already been playing for a few years so we turned her loose in a large music store and let her look at and play several without interference from us or the sales staff...that way she could find the one guitar that "spoke" to her...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

I agree with Jay, don't buy online (unless you played it at a store first).  That makes music store owners pretty angry. 
My advice would be to go to a Guitar Center, they are everywhere like Wal Mart.  The guitar I would try first is the Baby Taylor.  It is a slightly smaller scale guitar, but tunes up to E.  It is in the $400 range.  I always say, buy something that you want to keep because if the guitar bug bites you, you will be back at the store buying something else. 
A Grand Concert sized (GC) or Orchestra Model (OM) are smaller guitars and have a more delicate sound.  I prefer GC guitars, personally. 

Go and play as many as you can get your hands on, don't allow the salesman to push you around, and be satisfied with your instrument.  That's a few years of experience talking there.  I hated my cheap guitars and I'm frugal.  Right now, I have an Ibanez ArtWood that is just great.  It's a dreadnought (big) guitar.  The Martin Eric Clapton Model is my dream guitar, I just can't bring myself to part with 3G's for a guitar when I'm not a professional musician.

Bob
Grantville, PA
Trying to get back into the swing of playing more.

jaygordon75 wrote:

! Alverez, Takamine, Jasime, Ibanez, Yamaha, are examples of fine Asian made guitars...Fender and Ephiphone also has some reasonably priced and decent quality import models...I've seen and played some Canadian made Seagulls that are outstanding values...

I agree with Jay. I have a Takamine G series. It is a very nice guitar to play. It's not a Martin and so what. Not knocking Martin ( avery fine acoustic)but I don't care about what it says on the headpiece. When I bought the Takamine, I went to the music store and played 20-30 units without looking at brand or price. I narrowed it down to 3 guitars then I looked at the price. IMO this is the best way to buy a guitar for anyone. I don't play out so I don't  care what it looks like. I've been to plenty of shows and I don't recall the way anybody's instrument looked. I think if you can play it, no one gives a crap what it looks like. Tim0473's advice is solid..play them all and the one that feels best to you (not me or anyone else) is the one for you. Reviews are helpful but don't base your decision solely on them.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

KAP is right along with everyone else ... if you can have an experienced person go with you to play it for you (reason being you might not be able to play a chord progression yet, or a song etc) ... if you go in and strum an open "C" chord and then barely strum an open "F" chord you wont be able to really "hear" how good or bad the guitar sounds ... I've had a buddie of mine go with me before when I first started out and he played some progressions and songs and I was like that sounds sweet ... now keep in mind, just because it sounds great when he plays it doesnt mean it will talk to you and make you think its perfect for you ... keep in mind the playability for YOU ... meaning how does it feel in your hands?  against your body?  etc ... that will ultimately dictate if you want that one or not

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Hi and welcome to Chordie. My advice to you would be to look for an Applause from Ovation. These are a very good and inexpensive guitar that offers you the ability to go from acoustic to electricsimply by plugging in. Although I don't own an Applause(I have an Ovation) I have played them and tone wise they sound like an Ovation, the neck is narrower than a traditional acoustic and they play beautifully. Check out MusiciansFriend online. I have purchased from them in the past and they are a great company,good return policy and good values. Los of luck and keep on strummin

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

I play classical guitar music and sometimes the classical piece dictates that some strumming needed - like a flamenco influenced piece.  is that ok for my nylon strings, I use a set of La Bella Strings ?

I second the "go to buy at a music shop" advice and if you have a really good Guitar or string instrument shop, thats even better.

"The Vintage Fret Shop" in Ashland New Hampshire was where I bought mine and my daughters.  They are more than happy to allow people to try them on for size.  And they have new and used instruments as well as a really good repair shop.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Hi Crossbow,

You should have no problems with La Bellas, most strumming in Classical will be done with the fingernails or with a light to medium plectrum.  I used to use a nylon plectrum on occasion and found that they would wear faster than the strings.

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks Doug.

I use my fingers esp when it gets to the strumming part in "Malaguena"

I agree that taking an experienced player with you is great - also pick the Brand and size guitar you like best and then try to locate a used one in a pawn or hock shop.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?